Light weight, Japan-style 240Z

BenZed

Just spoke to my tuner, the L31 is making 260hp (194kW) at the engine. Apparently it's only just flattening out at 7000rpm, which is where I set the limiter. Final tuning will be done tomorrow, so I'll post up a graph on Saturday  ;D

Well done Benzed. That is some pretty impressive power out of a 6. With those weight savings the car should be flying.

I liked your detailed weight savings above. I have to agree with all of them. I did the seats, spare and 20kg worth of stereo. Saved around 70kg or more. I am now sort ot toying with the idea of pulling out the heater even though it's a road reg car. Do you reckon I might save 10kg there? Don't forget the 20kg battery if you went for one of those small race ones. Not sure what they weigh, maybe 6-8kg.

• Moderators

Another worth while weight saver would be a planetary gear starter motor along with Craig's mentioned battery. I have one of those "Pulse" brand batteries mounted behind the passenger seat. They weigh just 7-8 kilos. But unfortunately capacity is only 196 cca. So if your car takes a while to start in the cold, better cary some jumper leads!

Well done Benzed. That is some pretty impressive power out of a 6. With those weight savings the car should be flying.

I liked your detailed weight savings above. I have to agree with all of them. I did the seats, spare and 20kg worth of stereo. Saved around 70kg or more. I am now sort ot toying with the idea of pulling out the heater even though it's a road reg car. Do you reckon I might save 10kg there? Don't forget the 20kg battery if you went for one of those small race ones. Not sure what they weigh, maybe 6-8kg.

The heater/fan box is surprisingly heavy, especially when you add in the extra hoses and water capacity. I'd say close to 10kg. A pair of 'camping hairdriers' do the job for me at less than 1kg.

Another worth while weight saver would be a planetary gear starter motor along with Craig's mentioned battery. I have one of those "Pulse" brand batteries mounted behind the passenger seat. They weigh just 7-8 kilos. But unfortunately capacity is only 196 cca. So if your car takes a while to start in the cold, better cary some jumper leads!

Unfortunately a high-compression L6 takes a lot of grunt to turn over. Mine sounds like it's working hard with 500CCA. If I used a compact dry cell I reckon I'd need two of them.

Ahhhhh I never thought of some camping hair dryers for the rare occassion I might need the heater. You might have converted me on that one. I will have to look into it. As for the Battery not knowing what is available I think I might have to stick with my beefy 550 since I also take a bit of power to turn her over. Still starts second go every time but nothing worse than stuffing around with a flat or equivilent battery.

Hey everyone im a day late to reply to this comment but its must be said wow 3.1L V6 pushing 194kw thats as good as any of the modern large car engines they old L-series must have been designed pretty well considering; toyota aurion 200kw 3.5L V6, ford falcon 195kw although it has 391 newton meters of torque from a 4.0L V6 and holden commodore 195kw from a 3.5L V6. Do you have torque figures anyway we done and you will have some serious push there have fun. Tom 

• Administrators

Hey everyone im a day late to reply to this comment but its must be said wow 3.1L V6 pushing 194kw

Yes but its a straight 6 not a V6. Also remember new car engines have much better fuel economy and drivability. So its not the same comparison. Anyone wanting to build a crazy L-series must realise there is always a trade off. Still of course an impressive figure for an old engine :).

Great work Ben, really useful to have the info on the weight saving.

The 1jz 240z is still going great, the suspension upgrade is now complete and just took delivery of a bigger pwr intercooler ready to fit.

Looks like you'll be looking to run faster times than your old car! low 12s (or quicker!?!) do you think?

what can she rev to? congrats on the figures.

I set the limiter at 7000, as there's not much point going too far past the power peak. Strokers have some harmonic vibration issues at very high rpm.

Great work Ben, really useful to have the info on the weight saving.

The 1jz 240z is still going great, the suspension upgrade is now complete and just took delivery of a bigger pwr intercooler ready to fit.

Looks like you'll be looking to run faster times than your old car! low 12s (or quicker!?!) do you think?

Hi Phil, welcome to the forum.

Hope you can start a thread showing what the 1JZ 240Z looks like now.

I think this car should be a little faster, but I won't take it to the strip until the R200 LSD is fitted (hopefully quite soon).

sounds heaps kool man........

can't even begin to imagine how fast it is...............have been in a friends rx7 S-VIII with 220KW@wheels and thats nuts......

keen to know what things you've done or doing to make the car handle with this amount of power. Have driven a zed that was set up by SWR and to be honest on a high speed track it didn't give any confidence at all..........I think Lurch mentioned previously a high rear spoiler would help heaps but it kills the look.

Haven't really started on the suspension yet. The car already has 5-step adjustable shocks and aftermarket springs, but I plan to make custom coilovers based on HSD products. I have Techno Toy Tuning adjustable caster rods on the front too, but as the above post mentions, it is worth making the toe adjustable on the rear. I had adjustable toe on my old 1JZ powered 240Z and it made the rear end much better. All that said, the car doesn't feel too bad as-is. The worst problem is bump-steer at the front. I don't think aerodynamic lift at the rear is such a big issue, but I suppose it depends how fast the track is.

yes rear toe is huge on Z's even just to correct the bad alignment from the factory, aswell as all the gutter knocks from it journey to now.

bump steer is easy to correct in comparo to the toe issues in the rear. redrill or slot the crossmember for LCA pivot re-location, or those bulky spacers!!!

nato