#1 manya3084

manya3084

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 53 posts

Posted 29 October 2015 - 09:59 PM

Hey all,

Picked up a 280ZX last week. My mate found one in a garage a couple months ago and I really liked the look of it, so I had to get one myself.

Very minimal rust in only 2 spots, but when I have it resprayed it will be repaired with minimal effort required.

Drives well,shocks and bushes were replaced by previous owner.

Engine runs, but cold start valve is leaking so I've got a new one on the way.

All electrics work even the motorised antenna.

Anyway, here's a few photo's I managed to get before the sun went down, hopefully on the weekend i'll be able to have a bit more fun cleaning it up.

Attached Thumbnails

• DSC00076.JPG
  • DSC00077.JPG
  • DSC00075.JPG

• oldmates260z and imackz like this

#2 PB260Z

PB260Z

Peter (PB)

• Moderators
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 3,238 posts
  • Tagline:Must stop buying new toys for the workshop.

Posted 30 October 2015 - 08:20 PM

Looks tidy, a couple of questions if I may

Where is the rust ?
How much work needed for Rego ?

Cheers

PB
  • manya3084 likes this

#3 imackz

imackz

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 239 posts
  • Tagline:v8 into a 280zx makes 450zx

Posted 31 October 2015 - 03:33 AM

Hey all,

Picked up a 280ZX last week. My mate found one in a garage a couple months ago and I really liked the look of it, so I had to get one myself.

Very minimal rust in only 2 spots, but when I have it resprayed it will be repaired with minimal effort required.

Drives well,shocks and bushes were replaced by previous owner.

Engine runs, but cold start valve is leaking so I've got a new one on the way.

All electrics work even the motorised antenna.

Anyway, here's a few photo's I managed to get before the sun went down, hopefully on the weekend i'll be able to have a bit more fun cleaning it up.

Welcome

#4 manya3084

manya3084

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 53 posts

Posted 31 October 2015 - 03:08 PM

Hi,

Just got my RWC today, was expecting to have to fix a few more things in terms of drive line but on the hoist I was amazed to see raletivly new Koni shocks both front and rear and new bushes through out, even a new gearbox mount and fuel pump mount..

Also changed all the oils and bled both the clutch and brakes. The discs are almost brand new to but I ordered some slotted rotors from rs rapid as I would like a little more stopping power without having to modify anything.

Only minor surface rust on the roof passenger side where the seal is for the tagar roof and the drivers front guard. It appears who ever owned it before the previous owner already used stop rust in there areas to prevent the spread. Also used one of those flex cameras to check the chassis rails and the inside of the guards. Didn't find any surprises.

My only issue now is selling my 350gt so I can fund the respray, or I'll have to wait a few months to save up the cash.

#5 gav240z

gav240z

Administrator

• Administrators
  • 12,400 posts
  • Tagline:Jack of all trades, master of none.

Posted 31 October 2015 - 05:38 PM

Sounds like you got yourself a good S130Z, they are actually becoming quite rare now and hard to find parts for. So well done.

#6 manya3084

manya3084

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 53 posts

Posted 13 November 2015 - 10:54 PM

Just thought I'd add, registered the car on Tuesday. managed to get a "day time" pic.

Have a few things coming from the states to try to match the feature level they had. I'd love a set of seats but freight would out way the cost.

Did we ever have the single piece seats in Australia?

Attached Thumbnails

• IMG_20151111_185347 (1).jpg

#7 imackz

imackz

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 239 posts
  • Tagline:v8 into a 280zx makes 450zx

Posted 14 November 2015 - 04:07 AM

Welcome aboard fellow 280zx driver , we have 2 a 1979 & a 1983 (the wifes car)

#8 manya3084

manya3084

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 53 posts

Posted 21 February 2016 - 02:02 AM

Hi All,

Thought id give everyone a little update. After owning the car for the last 4 months it hasn't missed a beat. Engine definitely feels strong and no major issues have arisen.

Only bump in the road was an accident I had last month where I was hit in the left quarter panel. Big thanks to PB260Z for supplying me a replacement indicator and I finally got the car back yesterday.

Additions I have been able to do to the car was a digital dash from the US (Don't ask, I'm a corny lover of 80's retro tech) and I replaced the plastic 82 model side pillars with the earlier chrome equivalents (I think they look better) and added an alarm so I can feel somewhat secure. I also obtained a Weber 60mm throttle body which I have yet the time to install.

My main focus now is getting megasquirt setup in motion once all the parts I need have arrived. I was originally going to get a turbo distributor and oil drive to do this, but after ordering these I realized the Megasquirt 2 I owned from my old 525i is wired up for a VR crank wheel (Expect to see these on the for sale section when they arrive :-p ). I have now purchased a Hoke Performance trigger kit and will be looking at modifying a stock dampener so I am able to retain power steering and A/C. I also have purchased a replacement fuel rail to tidy up the factory trombone mess that it is.

I am not really looking to gain power from this endeavour, but my focus will be to improve the overall efficiency of the car and modernise it a little.

Anyway, i'll keep everyone posted once i've made more progress. Also, if anyone that knows a good machine shop that will be able to remove some meat off a Harmonic balancer please let me know.

Cheers,

Anthony

Attached Thumbnails

• IMG_20160220_135750.jpg
  • IMG_20160220_135710.jpg
  • IMG_20160220_135718.jpg
  • IMG_20160220_135735.jpg

Edited by manya3084, 21 February 2016 - 02:04 AM.

#9 PB260Z

PB260Z

Peter (PB)

• Moderators
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 3,238 posts

Posted 21 February 2016 - 09:35 AM

Hi,

Happy to have helped, just pleased that yiubhave got her back and she looks great.
Love the 80's digital dash ! Was it hard to hook up or just plug and play ?

Cheers

PB

#10 manya3084

manya3084

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 53 posts

Posted 21 February 2016 - 10:11 AM

I ended up taking the lazy way out and used a loom from the US. Plug and play, only thing I also needed to get was a new temp gauge sensor (Digital specific). The fuel gauge also only lights up on the right side as you need a digital dash specific unit as well, but I don't really need the 1/4 - 1/8 part.

I haven't had a chance to extend the wires to rehook the center guages and glovebox light.

#11 manya3084

manya3084

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 53 posts

Posted 21 February 2016 - 10:23 AM

Also will add that you will constantly have to press the speed unit button every time you start the car to get it into km's. But next time I remove the dash I'm going to close the circuit for the button which should keep it in Kmh.

#12 Zedstar

Zedstar

Advanced Member

• Donating Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 56 posts

Posted 21 February 2016 - 06:25 PM

image.jpeg

Hope you enjoy your 280 as much as I have enjoyed mine.

#13 road rider

road rider

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 212 posts
  • Tagline:Life is like a bowl of hot soup.You need to be hot to get blown

Posted 22 February 2016 - 05:28 PM

Welcome from another 280ZX owner.

Great looking car.

#14 Cozza

Cozza

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 908 posts
  • Tagline:Datsun obsessed

Posted 23 February 2016 - 07:43 PM

That digital tacho cracks me up not being linear, 1,2,3,5,7. It's a bit knight rider.

Do you feel like the Hoff? :)

• gav240z likes this

#15 manya3084

manya3084

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 53 posts

Posted 23 February 2016 - 09:56 PM

My alarm has remote start, so I have joked a bit when I talk to the remote and ask "Kit" to start up. :-p

#16 manya3084

manya3084

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 53 posts

Posted 05 March 2016 - 05:09 PM

Well, bit of progress, managed to finally gather all the bits I needed to replace the fuel rail with a much cleaner looking one. Also I have replaced the injectors with some EV1 style 210cc low impedance bosch injectors (Some porsche apparently used these, hard to find low impedance low cc injectors). I'm going adjust the AFM a little to lean the mixture as it's running richer when you plant your foot down.

Just need to go to jaycar tomorrow to grab a few more bits so I can begin to wire up the megasquirt.

Here's some unflattering pictures of the work so far. I also removed that silly metal coolant line that goes across the front of the engine cover to the idle control valve. This will be removed once I install the megasquirt as I will be using an ICV out of a volvo. Also the throttle body i will be using does not require coolant to run through it.

Attached Thumbnails

• IMG_20160305_173555.jpg
  • IMG_20160305_173642.jpg
  • IMG_20160305_173723.jpg
  • IMG_20160305_173733.jpg
  • IMG_20160305_173740.jpg

Edited by manya3084, 06 March 2016 - 08:49 AM.

#17 manya3084

manya3084

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 53 posts

Posted 11 March 2016 - 06:03 AM

Wiring is getting there. Hoping to install it this weekend, just need to get an oxygen senor bung plug welded to the exhust which im hopping my mate can help me with.

I tested the turbo distributor using a drill while hooked up to the PC and tunner studio seemed to display the RPM just fine. I may use this temporary setup while I figure out a solution on how to mount a vr sensor and the trigger wheel. It will make for a cleaner install if I can successfully go this route and remove the dizzy all together :-)

Attached Thumbnails

• IMG_20160309_190446-1600x1200.jpg

#18 PB260Z

PB260Z

Peter (PB)

• Moderators
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 3,238 posts

Posted 11 March 2016 - 07:55 AM

Hi Mate

That new fuel rail looks so much neater than the original one.

Keep the photo's coming.

Cheers

#19 manya3084

manya3084

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 53 posts

Posted 14 March 2016 - 11:23 PM

Sorry, no pics ATM. Took a little longer to get the o2 sensor bung welded in, couldn't remove the section of the exhaust so we had to do it using Jack stands :-p . also, that webber throttle body i got was a pain to install, had to cut a section of the unused linkage mounting because it would foul against the manifold and it also lacks the ICV provition so I used the original piping and placed it where the cold start valve goes, perfect fit.

Anyway, found a spot next to the brake booster to mount the coil packs, and swapped the dizzy over to the turbo one. Also had fun removing all the unnecessary parts of the intake manifold.

Pretty much only have wiring to do which I can hopefully finish off tomorrow and attempt starting it :-D

#20 manya3084

manya3084

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 53 posts

Posted 19 March 2016 - 06:16 PM

Hmmmm, just need to tidy up the wiring and set the timming...then it's tunning time :-P

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users