The Green Hornet And The Lcr L34

C.A.R.

It really is a drivers car .built to drive in any situation. From a quiet drive in the country on any fuel he finds . Or go to the track remove the traler and fit some race tyres and kick ass all day then drive her home .its still got a heater and stereo carpet and full dash its a road car .not a full blown racer ..if it was 500lb lighter like the gtu cars .i hate to think how fast it would be

It really is a drivers car .built to drive in any situation. From a quiet drive in the country on any fuel he finds . Or go to the track remove the traler and fit some race tyres and kick ass all day then drive her home

So does that mean there's still more in the motor with different cams and fuel?

Can you post a dyno graph, I'm interested to see the torque curve.

Love the video and congrats to all involved.

Mick

No Mick it's at it's limit with the current configuration.
The cam makes power all the way to 7800rpm, but Greg has the limiter now set at 7100rpm for engine longevity.
Full advance is set at 34deg & it runs happily on 91MON pump gas with 11:1 Static CR - THAT'S how good the cylinder head chamber is ;)

Hi Lurch,

Top end seems fantastic. What is it like to drive in traffic with the 50mm carbs. Hesitation etc, or is the flow that good that you could do the shopping in it. I have been looking at ITB with my new engine but It's always good to keep an open mind.

Cheers David (Enzo)

Hi Lurch,

Top end seems fantastic. What is it like to drive in traffic with the 50mm carbs. Hesitation etc, or is the flow that good that you could do the shopping in it. I have been looking at ITB with my new engine but It's always good to keep an open mind.

Cheers David (Enzo)

You may not believe me David, but it drives like it's got fuel injection. I did actually drive it around Warragul in peak hour just to prove a point & it didn't misbehave once. No coughing, spluttering or stumbling.

Yet when you open the throttle... 

The Solex 50PHH's have a very good idle circuit - much better than a Weber.

Certainly they are fitted to a big engine, but they are BIG carb themselves. Bolting a set of 44PHH's to, say, a L28 would yeald the same results (once tuned correctly).

It's certainly made me reconsider why I'm running EFi on my 240...

Edited by Lurch ™

The later Spanish Webers vs older Italian made Webers have a lot f ssues,

The internal passages of the Solex carbs are equivalent, to the older Itlian Weber, but the Solex is mre deal for our intake teact goung into the valve bowl, as the accelerator pump jet rifices are better positioned in the Solex.

Thanks Lurch,

Looks like I may have to reconsider carbs as the cost of EFI can get expensive. The extra money spent on getting the carbs perfect would still be cheaper in the long run and have old school appeal. Thank you for the heads up. Keep the good work coming.

By the way, I was on Hybrid Z today and Tony D was telling people to get in touch with PMC in Melbourne if they wanted a 3.4 L series. Go Aussie.

Cheers David.

I mentioned this on some 240/260 page on FB. Naturally one of the blokes who has a LS swapped 240z was saying the L series are shit. so i commented with the above link. his reply was

"what can some Australian shop do that Robellos cant?"

I had replied with apparently they could not deliver a satisfactory product for the bloke so he went to a place where he could :D

But damn i've watched this video over and over!

Edited by MATTY

I mentioned this on some 240/260 page on FB. Naturally one of the blokes who has a LS swapped 240z was saying the L series are shit. so i commented with the above link. his reply was

"what can some Australian shop do that Robellos cant?"

I had replied with apparently they could not deliver a satisfactory product for the bloke so he went to a place where he could :D

But damn i've watched this video over and over!

I think that Les has done a very good job at understanding his customers needs, and that is the key, talk to your customer and interperate their ideas, I don't think that the Americans think they are above it , just seems that the owner found someone he liked and trusted with his money, after all the USA has had a lot of experience with Zeds for many years , I just suspect that the people in the know have either dropped off or are hard to find, as for Rebello I suspect they are more after a different market and have dropped the ball on the L series and old Zeds  to a degree,and Les , SWR, myself well we have stayed true to the L engine. Great work Les.    

• 2 months later...

when I had my 280ZX 2 seater and came time for more power my mechanic at the time was Vince Rigoli (You may know him) and he pushed as hard as he could to get me to throw that L series in the bin. He wanted to do an RB30 with an RB26 head. I said no and tried to explain the goal. He relented and did a great job on my L28. He was pretty impressed with the result. I'll never forget the smile he had on his face when I came around to see it fire up for the first time. It sounded awesome with a big lumpy cam and it was something different to the usual hi-tec turbo twin cams he was used to.

Long live the L series.

amazing job on the Green Hornet................love it

• Administrators

Something about the sound an L-series puts out, and the look of the motor in the engine bay. Seeing other motors in there never looks right for me, unless it's an S20 or LY head of course.

If you put a modern motor in an S30z now, in 10 years time it's just another old motor that's outdated. Stick with the L-series and it will always belong in there.

• 2 weeks later...

WoW - oooohh

Did some one do a deal with the devil!

Possessive stuff

Love how it made the other cars look big cumbersome even the Porsche  

Awesome job LCR - unbelievable.

I grinning like a loon

AK

• 2 weeks later...

do I have permission to use those photos to make wallpaper?

I have a lot of bare walls at home and now I've seen what would make them works of art!!

that race footage is amazing and of exceptional quality. I could watch it all day.

Nothing worse than when you see other in-car footage and you can't hear the engine or its muted or they've used some stupid music.

I'm surprised he doesn't have a full rollcage in the Z. He's not just out for a Sunday drive, he's moving.....

Edited by EJ101

• 1 month later...

That's awesome Pottler!

Is the rocker cover painted 2 pack black or is it some kind of shadow chrome?

Correct. Shadow or Black Chrome.

Apparently, it was horrendously expensive to get done!

Edited by Lurch ™

• Moderators

Correct. Shadow or Black Chrome.

Apparently, it was horrendously expensive to get done!

But it does look really really good, finishes off the engine bay nicely

Yes certainly is an awesome racing clip.

I have always been a huge fan of the L series engine. Done right, they are one helluva engine.

Long live the L series engine I say.

I still cringe a little when I see a foreign engine put into a 240Z/260Z.