The Green Hornet And The Lcr L34

C.A.R.

Les Collins Racing, Peter Mac & myself proudly introduce the Green Hornet 240Z & the LCR L34!

Hornet3.jpg
It’s not hard to see that Greg has a stirring passion for his 240Z. Theirs has been a long-term love affair. Fully committed to the spirit of the Z, Greg has been on a 17+ year journey of constantly improving all aspects including brakes and suspension while steadfastly resisting all temptations of different engines, forced induction or fuel injection for his beloved 240Z – widely known as the “The Green Hornet”.

Attention was again focussed on the engine when old faithful of 17 years succumbed to a broken LD28 crankshaft.

He'd become jaded with the claimed performance BS from local engine builders servicing the racing scene in California, and as he started to explore his options it was looking like Kameari in Japan might be the go, but after a long delay in trying to get something underway there, a chance conversation on the ‘Hybrid Z’ web forum led Greg to contact Les Collins

To Greg’s surprise his first long distance conversation with Les proved to be a revelation. Here was someone he could relate to, someone who was still making strident advances in L-series engine development, and someone who seemed committed to making his clients’ motorsport ambitions a reality...

The rest of the story can be viewed here: http://lescollinsracing.com/engine/projects-engine/3435cc-z-racer

Specifications are:

Displacement: 3435cc
F54 Block - 90mm bore with full race prep
LCR spec 90mm Stroke Billet Crankshaft
ARP Main studs
AZC Sump
Custom flywheel & OS Giken Clutch
LCR spec Forged Rods
LCR spec SPS Forged Pistons
11:1 CR on PULP

LCR race spec P90 cylinder head - flows over 250CFM @ 28"

Special LCR spec camshaft

Triple 50mm Solex PHH carburetors

LCR Extractors & LCR 3 inch Stainless Steel system with Borla & Magnaflow mufflers.

Gearbox:
LCR / Albins hybrid direct drive gearbox.
Ultra close ratios (2.4 1st gear) 

LCR short shift conversion.

LesCollinsRacing_logo.png

Edited by Lurch ™

where did this come from??? Have i missed a build thread or something?

There's no build thread. It's an engine, gearbox & exhaust system that LCR built for a US customer.

Did I miss how much power it makes??

Enough ;)

Awesome Lurch!

What's the middle air duct under the front bar for.....looks like its directed up under the manifolds to keep the inlet temps under control?

Correct - Air feed for the carburetors.

Edited by Lurch ™

Great footage , you guys should be proud! Love the fact that you can drag your slicks in the trailer! .  Colour looks great, ( adopted Rev's Green 260, not original green, but really suits the car ) So cool that you can kick that big butt Porsche ass ("OMG , it looks like one of those rap guys girlfriend!) and drive home looking like its straight from the factory ! 

Well done , credit to your craft!  If I ever get the cajones to get on a track , good to know there is so much knowledge and advice on the forum . 

This story likely began when Peter Mac was on HybridZ giving the Yanks some curry about their supposed racing engines. It seems proper that this part of the story is linked on HybridZ, which I will do in the next day or so. It would at least be a good advertisement.

The car is owned by one of the best blokes he just loves the car so much .how it come to be is not what this is about . The work done by all involved was driven by wanting to build the ultimate road race engine package. In the end les Collins racing pulled that off. Something that im so very proud to have been part of .

Such an amazing vehicle, it definitely inspires me.

I suppose now that Ausie dollar is so weak and still has a little bit more to go, the US boys and gals will be ringing Les Collins for orders. Especially after seeing this naughty girl.

I am very keen to learn more about the gear box and the diff set up but I am struggling to find the information - there is a decent write up on Les's site.

Also the 30 min track video gave me goose bumps couple of times - oh the sound of the engine is so nice.

I suppose now that Aussie dollar is so weak and still has a little bit more to go, the US boys and gals will be ringing Les Collins for orders. Especially after seeing this naughty girl.

You would think so, but that not actually the case...

Even with the exchange rate, it's still an expensive engine package by US sentiment.

I am very keen to learn more about the gear box and the diff set up but I am struggling to find the information - there is a decent write up on Les's site.

What do you want to know, exactly?