48 replies to this topic

#1 GongZ

GongZ

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 814 posts
  • Tagline:Watanabe wannabe

Posted 21 September 2015 - 01:14 AM

The NSW government is soon to commence a trial of 60 days a year Historic vehicle use - yay!!  :D

It will be similar to the 45/90 day system in Victoria - meaning that you will be able to use your car for personal trips as well as club events or servicing/testing/inspection purposes.

"The Minister for Roads, Maritime and Freight, Duncan Gay, has asked Transport for NSW and Roads and Maritime Services to develop a Historic Vehicle Log Book Trial.

The Log Book Trial will allow all operators of existing vehicles within the Historic Vehicle Scheme to opt-in. These vehicles may then be used for 60 days of general use (i.e. club events, maintenance and personal use) each year. Each day’s use must be recorded in a Log Book.

New entrants to the Historic Vehicle Scheme after the trial commences may apply for inclusion in the Log Book Trial, subject to the existing historic vehicle and registered operator eligibility criteria.

The trial will operate for two years, with an evaluation to be completed during this period as part of the Roads and Maritime Services review of the overall Conditional Registration Scheme.

The Historic Vehicle Log Book Trial will commence on 1 October 2015. Details on how to opt in to the trial will be updated on this page from this date."

The only sticking point seems to be;

Historic vehicles must be as close to original condition as possible, with no alterations except for safety features such as seat belts and turn indicators or period accessories and options, if desired.

- so are triple Webers, as an example, considered a 'period option'? Is this a new and stricter restriction?

I am sure that I have seen S30Z's with Webers being used under the current NSW Historic registration system - can somebody please confirm this?

Could 1980's Toyota 4-spot calipers be considered a 'safety feature' on a 1970's S30Z?

Links to pages discussing the NSW trial;

http://www.transport...ion trial_F.pdf

http://www.bushcounc...cheme-Trial.php

http://www.rms.nsw.g...c-vehicles.html

http://www.transport...istration-trial

http://www.drive.com...904-gjf84j.html

http://www.streetmac...o-ahead-in-nsw/

Edited by GongZ, 21 September 2015 - 01:25 AM.

• George and Erzesthags like this

#2 Linton

Linton

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 519 posts
  • Tagline:1976 260z 2+2 Sunburst 1989 300zx Z32TT 2+2 Black

Posted 21 September 2015 - 09:48 AM

No such thing as a trial really, if they bring it in for you it will be there to stay, but would be subject to rules and regs changes etc.

for me it is a great scheme I have 2 cars on it and a 3rd potentially total reg for 3 is $381.00 for a total 270 days of use for all cars.

The system here works really well for enthusiasts, however it has also been sadly abused and the reason Victoria is now going through changes on the red plate scheme.

historic vehicles must be close to original, anything modified will go to engineer and be on "M" plate. we still use private roadworthy testers here and require a Victorian RWC to go into the scheme.

Edited by Linton, 21 September 2015 - 09:49 AM.

#3 1600dave

1600dave

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 591 posts

Posted 21 September 2015 - 09:48 AM

As I understand it, the bit you have quoted refers to the original Historic scheme, where vehicles can only be used on club runs, etc and must be "original". This is still in place - there will be two "schemes" running in NSW. 

"Original" is up to the individual clubs - some are more, ummm, "relaxed" with regards to what is a "safety related" upgrade. Webbers, etc are usually justified by the clause "period accessories and options" 

The new scheme will cater for any vehicles (original or modified). "Modified" is anything that is road legal. Anything that requires an engineers certificate for full rego will require an engineers certificate for the new scheme, same as full rego. It will just cost less for less useage. 

For more info, consult yoru car club (yes, you need to be in a car club to take advantage of the new scheme).

Edited by 1600dave, 21 September 2015 - 10:03 AM.

#4 PB260Z

PB260Z

Peter (PB)

• Moderators
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 3,238 posts
  • Tagline:Must stop buying new toys for the workshop.

Posted 21 September 2015 - 12:30 PM

Interesting, how many NSW folks on here would change their registration status based on this.

Personaly I will be going with full rego (when my car is finished 8)  )

#5 PZG302

PZG302

The 1000+ club

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 1,751 posts

Posted 21 September 2015 - 01:52 PM

If they bough this in in Qld i would be very happy, 60 days a year would be more than enough for my Chugger, hell at the moment, if it was all cars, even more than enough for the ute at the moment with all the offshore work I am getting.

#6 andyk_79

andyk_79

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 612 posts
  • Website:http://www.viczcar.com/forum/topic/12055-andrews-1972-240/
  • Tagline:Useless Pest asking clueless questions

Posted 21 September 2015 - 02:26 PM

Interesting, how many NSW folks on here would change their registration status based on this.

Personaly I will be going with full rego (when my car is finished 8)  )

I was planning full rego because I didn't want to be restricted to club drive days (not that I am in a club at the moment), but 60 days a year is 5 days a month - covers me going for a weekly drive plus one more drive through the month.  I'd definitely consider it if it means a big differential in cost.  Can't see myself driving it a lot more than that as 2 seater means either the wife or the daughter misses out and I don't want to negotiate that one any more than once a week !

#7 George

George

The 1000+ club

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 1,846 posts

Posted 21 September 2015 - 04:18 PM

How much do you stand to save by going historic rego? If it's only a couple of hundred or thereabouts it's not really worth the hassle.

So rego is cheaper. By how much?

Do you get cheaper green slips?

Cheaper insurance? This would be based on your usage level with the likes of Shannons anyway.

Then there's the cost of joining the club and the attendance requirements.

Edited by George, 21 September 2015 - 04:19 PM.

#8 1600dave

1600dave

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 591 posts

Posted 21 September 2015 - 04:41 PM

Not sure of the new scheme, have heard a figure of $200 thrown around ( although that may just be a figure someone has plucked from thin air). The old scheme (ie use the car on club runs, etc only) was $50 a year last time I had a car on the road.

Edited by 1600dave, 21 September 2015 - 04:46 PM.

#9 PB260Z

PB260Z

Peter (PB)

• Moderators
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 3,238 posts

Posted 21 September 2015 - 04:44 PM

Good questions George and I don't know the savings, but I believe it is about $400-$500 per year. I will make some enquiries overvthe coming days.

In the back of my mind I am wondering what is involved, and the cost, of creating AusZcar (NSW Branch) accredited club.

If there was enough interest from the NSW contributors it may be a worthwhile idea.

Tanymore thoughts and comments
  • George likes this

#10 PZG302

PZG302

The 1000+ club

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 1,751 posts

Posted 21 September 2015 - 05:27 PM

To set a club up is a lot of work, you need a constitution, office bearers and incorporation, plus insurances and that's just off the top of my head, plus accounts and auditing and so on.

For the dollars it costs, join the Sydney Zed club or the NSWRRC or the ARDC or Nissan Datsun Owners club or whatever other club is local and does stuff you are interested in, pays your monies, do what you need and enjoy cheap rego and fun times.

#11 PB260Z

PB260Z

Peter (PB)

• Moderators
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 3,238 posts

Posted 21 September 2015 - 08:14 PM

Hmmm,

Too much work and effort - scratch that idea

#12 mother240

mother240

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 54 posts
  • Tagline:New Member

Posted 20 December 2015 - 07:56 PM

Hi Peter

Did you investigate this any further?

I previously emailed Syd Datsun Club but did not get a response.

Keen to know any more info anyone has.

Thanks

Mark

#13 PB260Z

PB260Z

Peter (PB)

• Moderators
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 3,238 posts

Posted 20 December 2015 - 09:05 PM

No mate, didn't take it any further.
Imdon't need any extra red tape in my life.

Cheers

PB

#14 mother240

mother240

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 54 posts
  • Tagline:New Member

Posted 21 December 2015 - 07:39 AM

No worries PB.

Your beast must be getting close!!!!

Thanks

#15 NEW240

NEW240

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 48 posts

Posted 21 December 2015 - 07:42 AM

HI Peter.

I Have 2 cars with Sydney Datsun Club.

Send Graeme an email to   Datsun@sydneydatsunclub.com

Cheers  Vince.

#16 nizm0zed

nizm0zed

The 1000+ club

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 1,310 posts
  • Tagline:260z coupe in slow build, Now with RB25DE powah!!

Posted 21 December 2015 - 08:08 AM

so mine is 'close enough' to period correct mods? lol

Not that i'll be seeing the road any day soon haha

#17 GongZ

GongZ

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 814 posts

Posted 21 December 2015 - 08:25 AM

so mine is 'close enough' to period correct mods? lol

Not that i'll be seeing the road any day soon haha

If you are prepared to emigrate from the ACT all the way to NSW, you can participate in Stage 2 of the trial;

http://www.rms.nsw.g...book-trial.html

"The log book trial has two stages:

Stage 1 - From 1 October 2015, vehicles that are in, or eligible to be in, the existing Historic Vehicle Scheme can be part of the log book trial. The registered operator must be a member of a Roads and Maritime recognised historic vehicle club that is participating in the log book trial.
Stage 2 - In early 2016, a Modified Classic Vehicle Scheme will be introduced. These vehicles will be eligible for conditional registration and can be included in the log book trial."

"Early in 2016, Stage 2 will see the development of a Modified Classic Vehicle Scheme. This scheme will provide the opportunity for modified classic vehicles which are 30 years of age or older to also be conditionally registered.

The Modified Classic Vehicle Scheme is anticipated to operate in a similar way to the Historic Vehicle Scheme. Things like forming a club, joining a club and applying for conditional registration will be similar. Clubs may also choose to participate in the log book trial for classic vehicles.

Existing recognised historic vehicle clubs may also choose to become a club under the Modified Classic Vehicle Scheme.

Some matters currently being worked through with enthusiasts, industry and government stakeholders include the vehicle standards and CTP insurance classification. Modified vehicles require a different process to determine their suitability for safe use and it is important that clubs have this capability.

From 1 October 2015, if you are interested in either forming or joining a club under the proposed Modified Classic Vehicle Scheme please email Modified.Vehicles.Scheme@rms.nsw.gov.au.

For further information about the Historic and Classic Vehicle Log Book Trial, please call the Contact Centre on 13 77 88."

#18 andyk_79

andyk_79

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 612 posts
  • Website:http://www.viczcar.com/forum/topic/12055-andrews-1972-240/
  • Tagline:Useless Pest asking clueless questions

Posted 21 December 2015 - 01:51 PM

Still thinking I'll pursue this.  Pricewise conditional rego is about $65 per year, including admin and plate fees.  This includes green slip cover.  Someone with a NSW registered Z could comment but I'm sure you'd be looking at $800 or $900 for full rego including greenslip so this is a massive saving (even after paying club fees etc)?

In terms of proving roadworthiness I need to get a blue slip done anyway so I'm comfortable with that, and would be happy to fork out for a roadworthy each year (I would be getting one for full rego anyway!).

#19 GongZ

GongZ

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 814 posts

Posted 21 December 2015 - 02:21 PM

It would certainly suit me too Andy.

I have not enquired, but I assume that there would be a significant saving on comprehensive insurance too.

#20 PB260Z

PB260Z

Peter (PB)

• Moderators
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 3,238 posts

Posted 21 December 2015 - 06:18 PM

No worries PB.
Your beast must be getting close!!!!
Thanks

Gidday

Yes it is getting close, very close, suffered a small set back on the weekend - blew the exhaust manifold gasket.

Anyway that is the fun of older cars.

Cheers

PB

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users