R180 4.4 Ratio Lsd, Crown And Pinion. (Or Similar)

MyEnquiringMind

Hi Folks,

I am looking for either the GC8 WRX R180 4.4:1 LSD, or a long nose R180 crown and pinion gear set with the 115mm inside diameter (out of a K box) with a similar ratio. I am currently running a 4.1 and looking to go a little shorter ratio, so will consider 4.4 or 4.6 if someone has a diff/crown and pinion available.

Cheers, Jarrod.

not a sarcastic thanks buddy, I am genuinely keen to find one of these and appreciate the response... and also the comment Re: change of speedo pinion, I have previously tried Courtesy Nissan in the states, but no luck... do you know where I could find a speedo pinion d3c0y?

• Administrators

I just know because this is the diff i have in my car. Don't forget to get a new speedo pinion.

I seem to recall a discussions on this conversion. Is there a thread that details what's involved to make it work in an S30z?

not a sarcastic thanks buddy, I am genuinely keen to find one of these and appreciate the response... and also the comment Re: change of speedo pinion, I have previously tried Courtesy Nissan in the states, but no luck... do you know where I could find a speedo pinion d3c0y?

I got mine from Chesapeake Nissan. They have a great list of parts on eBay and you can just message them direct with specific requests. It's the the purple one fwiw.

G'day Jarrod

Do you plan on running the beta Motorsport side axles, which suit the Subi diff?

I have a 4.6:1 ratio diff which I got from the front end of a 720 4x4. It is a "K" housing and needed a slight amount of massaging inside the case to fit a Subi LSD centre. Also had to make up some shims to cater for 11mm bolts in 12mm holes.

Might be a cheaper option?

Gav, here's a thread on the Subi diff although mostly discussing cv options.

http://www.viczcar.com/forum/topic/9243-subaru-sti-r180-lsd-into-240z/

Cheers

Mick

Hi Mick,

yeah I already have the axels, I picked them up from a bloke David from Gympie.

http://www.gumtree.com.au/s-ad/east-deep-creek/engine-engine-parts-transmission/datsun-subaru-r180-27spline-adapters-diff-half-shaft/1084823021

I have already got a 4.8 Datsun diff (Quaife LSD) in the shed at home, but in the early stages of this build, I was going to try and find something a bit more streetable, i.e. 4.1 or 4.4 and see what that was like...

Thanks for taking the time to reply...

Cheers, J

P.S. after pulling the rear cover off, I am now aware that the R180 in situ is in fact a 3.5 and not a 3.9 or 4.1 as expected... so i'll be happy to take a 4.1 if anyone has one spare... (oops...)

Edited by MyEnquiringMind

Thanks Roberto, unfortunately my current diff is niether LSD, nor 4.1... (read above).. nor am I feeling that rich... looks like I might have to get Craig Ford to go on the hunt for me...

Cool

I have a 3.9 as well as the 4.6. The 3.9 is a good street application (especially if you do significant highway driving) and the 4.6 is great for the shorter tracks like Wakefield or the Amaroo circuit at SMSP.

I imagine the 4.1 would be a good compromise and make your car a lot more spritely over the 3.5.

I'm sure the rally boys would be interested in the 4.8 LSD.

Good luck with it

Mick

4.6 and 4.8's are common, in utes.

The Nissan R180 in 4.375 was a Nsmo Competition part,,and rather rare, even 30 years ago.

The higher number of pinion teeth give it better reliability compared to 4.6-5.1's

Yes, easier to source a Subaru version, ex Japan, then change the stubs. Check with SWM he was getting a better quality stub made, as, in severe use ( rally/circuit) SWM found the Beta stubs were failing.

I was looking at those axels too, they seem to be well made!

Yeah Jason, there's been a few issues with those billet 'wolf creek/beta axels recently on Hybridz.

If you can spare the coin, get the gear set isotropic finished. I did mine and it's the most quiet diff I've ever heard.

Edited by Gareth. J.

Yep, I have just done one of these conversions. The Subaru R180 diffs come up on eBay periodically from Jap parts importers. The ratio is 4.444 to 1 and they come in either a clutch pack or Torsen style torque sensing LSD. The later are more prevelant but in my opinion less desirable. They come up for around $600. The SWR axles are fine but you need R200 half shafts. The 4.4 ratio is a good all rounder

The SWR axles are fine but you need R200 half shafts. The 4.4 ratio is a good all rounder

What's the difference between the R180 & R200 half shafts?

I didn't know SWR was making the stub axles but no doubt they will be a top notch product as usual.

Cheers

Mick

Yep, I have just done one of these conversions. The Subaru R180 diffs come up on eBay periodically from Jap parts importers. The ratio is 4.444 to 1 and they come in either a clutch pack or Torsen style torque sensing LSD. The later are more prevelant but in my opinion less desirable. They come up for around $600. The SWR axles are fine but you need R200 half shafts. The 4.4 ratio is a good all rounder

They aren't all the same ratio. The Suretrak torque sensing diff is the most common, has a 3.9:1 ratio and is the most common. The GDB STi Spec-C also came with a 3.9 but is mechanical type LSD. The later GDG has the Torsen diff and is a 3.5:1 ratio.

• 1 year later...

Purple is the 4.375 - but things obviously can change with wheel size... from experience, I installed the Subaru 4.44 and used the purple... forgot about rim size. Ended up going to the next one up "orange" Speedo cog to get it right.