MyEnquiringMind

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 148 posts
  • Tagline:Doin it in a Datsun...

Posted 13 September 2015 - 03:08 PM

Hello all,

I am chasing any information about the 1974 260Z Datsun works rally cars, any mechanical information, gearbox ratios, diff ratios, engine configuration, history of the design, factory involvement.

I have a few resources at home that i have scoured amd the web has been kind, in particular www.z-point.nl but would love anyone elses input if you are interested in the works rally cars.

Your time is appreciated.

Cheers, Jarrod
  • zzzzed likes this

#2 dat2kman

dat2kman

The 2000+ club

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 4,061 posts
  • Tagline:going sailing, see ya later!

Posted 13 September 2015 - 05:11 PM

All the optional parts that were used in these, are listed in the Competition Parts catalgues.
A few months back, Gav admin posted up scanned copies of most things.
  • MyEnquiringMind likes this

#3 HS30-H

HS30-H

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 617 posts

Posted 13 September 2015 - 05:34 PM

All the optional parts that were used in these, are listed in the Competition Parts catalgues.

Not by a long chalk. Most of the 'special' Works stuff was not in the Sports / Race Option parts catalogues. That's what makes them so fascinating.

Jarrod, I'd possibly be able to help but you would need to be more specific. "...any mechanical information, gearbox ratios, diff ratios, engine configuration, history of the design, factory involvement." would be enough to fill a book. Each car was unique.

• gav240z likes this

#4 MyEnquiringMind

MyEnquiringMind

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 148 posts
  • Tagline:Doin it in a Datsun...

Posted 13 September 2015 - 05:54 PM

No problems Alan, thanks for your suggestion Jason.

My very specific interests are related to understanding the transition to the 260Z from the 240Z works cars in 1974, I am looking to commence a replica works rally car build with the 260Z i have just purchased.

In particular i would like to know if they used the LY engine still? Were the gearbox ratios still the 'option' boxes? What diff ratio was most often used, and what size R180/R200? I am aware that used flares on the wheel arches, why was this different in the 74 cars? I also note that the works cars in photograph appear to only have half cages installed?

At this early stage i am looking to gain collateral information around the build in an attempt to keep it's authenticity, without compromising on the quality of build. I don't have bottomless pits of money available, but recognise that authenticity is important in attempting any such replica.

For the sake of semantics, could you provide me with any information on say,TKS 33 SU 6466, the 5th placed vehicle on the Rally of Portugal, driven by Harry Källström / Claes Billstam. I understand this was build no. 6 of the works 260z.

I thank you both for your time Alan/Jason.

Kind Regards,

Jarrod
  • George likes this

#5 Riceburner

Riceburner

The 2000+ club

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 3,261 posts

Posted 13 September 2015 - 08:15 PM

This should be awesome Jarrod! Best of luck and please keep us updated with a build thread.

#6 gav240z

gav240z

Administrator

• Administrators
  • 12,644 posts
  • Tagline:Jack of all trades, master of none.

Posted 13 September 2015 - 08:55 PM

Yeah looking forward to this, there is so many interesting details on these cars.

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users