I Got My Dream Car

Hey guys,

To start off, my name is Andy and I'm from the Melbourne Western Suburbs. I've gone to Sydney and taken back with me a 1973 240z.

The 240z is currently Green with the paint being slightly rubbed back and primed in certain parts. This will be close to the top of my to do list, as I want it to at least have a nice coat of paint on it.
(I'm thinking black) 
Its still got the original l24 in it as well as a set of triple webers that haven't been put in yet. 

Its had a heap of suspension modifications done to it due to being built for hill climbs,
My trip from Sydney back to Melbourne was a mission having the alternator/battery fail on me in Wallan. (50km from Melbourne)

It is now sitting in my garage not running as its still having some electrical problems, but after my pay day I'll be sure to get it running and then snap a few pics of it too!

Look forward to learning heaps from everyone and to slowly getting this car up to what I want it to be!

Cheers,
Andy

hey on the bright side at least it died only 50kms from Melbourne, and not 4 hours away!

Rubbed back and primer in some patches, i don't like the sound of that personally. If you are to respray it, make sure you fix all the rust beforehand, better now, do it once, do it right!

looking forward to the build!

Rudi.

• Administrators

If it's 907 Green it's probably an early 240z with matching numbers, in which case I wouldn't paint it black. Don't listen to Mick Jagger!

At the end of the day it's your car, but I'd go with the original 907 Green personally. It's a fantastic colour.

Do you know what chassis number it is?

Edit: Nevermind just read your post again, it's a 1973 Model so it's the lighter olive looking green I guess? Still it's a nice Green colour.

Hey guys!

Thanks for the warm welcome, the car is going to be sitting with me for a while but I know it will be a long build, but it will all be worth it!

I'll definitely put it up on the builds sub.

Gav i don't think it's an early model but I got some pretty rough pics on me at the moment so I'll put those up.

I'll get some better ones up tomorrow

Thanks!

post-104341-0-61488200-1442066360_thumb.jpg

post-104341-0-14794200-1442066377_thumb.jpg

Congratulations on finding a Z Andy, and welcome to the forum.

Those first two photos have me intrigued already. I don't think it is an original colour, but the interior looks like it might have been white/off white/beige originally. The original interior colour will help narrow down what the original exterior paint colour was.

When you get around to taking more photos - it would be good if you could take a photo of the compliance plate. It should be just below the engine bay 'inspection lamp' as circled in red in this pic-

post-101663-0-15377600-1442079411_thumb.jpg

The compliance plate will show the month and year that the car was complied and it will show the chassis number (both of these are also circled in red) -

post-101663-0-50738000-1442079477_thumb.jpg

Congratulations on finding a Z Andy, and welcome to the forum.

Those first two photos have me intrigued already. I don't think it is an original colour, but the interior looks like it might have been white/off white/beige originally. The original interior colour will help narrow down what the original exterior paint colour was.

Thanks GongZ!

I've taken some rough photos of the compliance as well as the interior.

I think the interior was originally a beige and the previous owner has re-trimmed it.

I will be looking to retrim this interior again anyway to an all black sort of thing.

The compliance plate reads:

9/73

Thanks guys! :)

post-104341-0-67979200-1442134821_thumb.jpg

post-104341-0-08721600-1442134835_thumb.jpg

Wow - the colour looks very different in the photo of the compliance plate. Now it does look like it is an original colour - 113 Metallic Green.

This is one of the few exterior colours that was available with the Brown/Tan coloured interior.

The 113 colour seems to be a relatively rare colour, I could only find these existing entries in the WA Z register

(http://wazregister.com/index.php?title=View_ANZIS30_Register_Cars) -

• HS30-103469 9/73, Original Colour 113, Interior Black/Tan - Currently in Western Australia
  • HS30-103475 9/73, Original Colour 'Hot house green' (113?), Interior Beige (possibly Tan?) - Currently in Victoria
  • HS30-103477 9/73, Original Colour 113, Interior Tan/Black - Currently in Western Australia (same owner as 103469)
  • HS30-103481 9/73, Original Colour not stated, Interior Tan - Currently in New South Wales

This next one does not have an original colour listed, but the considering that its chassis number is only 2 higher than yours, the interior is listed as 'Light Tan', and the theory that cars with similar colour schemes were grouped together on the production line - it was likely to have been 113 Green as well.

• HS30-103564 9/73, Original Colour not stated, Interior Light Tan - Currently in Western Australia

This web page shows a restored US 240Z in 113 Metallic Green with Tan/Black interior http://bringatrailer.com/listing/1973-datsun-240z-5/

You can see why the interior colour is usually called Black/Tan as both colours were combined.

The centre console in your car appears to have been 'wrapped' with tan vinyl.

post-101663-0-54788000-1442146651_thumb.jpg

post-101663-0-07039100-1442146665_thumb.jpg

So now you should have a good idea of how your car looked when it was new. It is now up to you to decide what to do with it.  :-X

... i don't think it's an early model...

I forgot to mention in my earlier reply that your car is, in fact, quite a late model 240Z.

You have HS30-103562 and the latest confirmed Australian car so far is HS30-103779.

http://www.viczcar.com/forum/topic/13437-chassis-number-bingo/

PS - Feeling any pressure to stay with 113 Green Metallic yet?

I forgot to mention in my earlier reply that your car is, in fact, quite a late model 240Z.

You have HS30-103562 and the latest confirmed Australian car so far is HS30-103779.

http://www.viczcar.com/forum/topic/13437-chassis-number-bingo/

PS - Feeling any pressure to stay with 113 Green Metallic yet?

Hahaha 

I'm definitely considering it but I've always liked a black car and definitely loved how a black z looked although its not original.

I'm not too worried about what it will do to the value of the car rather I want it to be something that i'll fully enjoy to my hearts content.

I don't think this car is going to leave my hands for a while and if I don't ever need to sell it I won't 

I'll let you know how I go with the colour! 

G'day Andy, congrats on the purchase and good luck with the restoration.

That green is a great colour so I hope you decide to stick with it. Personally having owned one black car I would never own another one. Like Gav says they require constant cleaning and aren't much fun in summer either!

Hahaha 

I'm definitely considering it but I've always liked a black car and definitely loved how a black z looked although its not original.

I'm not too worried about what it will do to the value of the car rather I want it to be something that i'll fully enjoy to my hearts content.

I don't think this car is going to leave my hands for a while and if I don't ever need to sell it I won't 

I'll let you know how I go with the colour!

What do you think about the black pearl special edition 280z colour? I'm not really a fan, but I could say the same for most cars in black.