WA240Z

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 208 posts
  • Tagline:New Member

Posted 22 October 2015 - 05:44 PM

Hi Hamish,

I had the same issue when installing Koni yellows into my front struts, the rears were fine. It turns out there is different wall thickness's on struts of different years on the 240Z's, the OD is the same. I ended up having to get another pair of front struts to accommodate the Konis. I guess you could always machine the strut out slightly in a lathe.

#22 shaun240

shaun240

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 54 posts

Posted 23 October 2015 - 09:53 AM

Hi Hamish,

I have also recently fitted a set of Koni yellows which were extremely tight, including a few that didn't fit at first. If its a few millimetres you may have to get them machined. When I stripped mine down I found a fair amount of surface rust had built up on the internal strut tube walls which needed to sanded out. I used an extra long metal bar with course sand paper attached to an electric drill and spent a good 30min on each strut.

#23 HamishJ

HamishJ

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 30 posts

Posted 28 October 2015 - 05:00 PM

Hi Hamish,

I have also recently fitted a set of Koni yellows which were extremely tight, including a few that didn't fit at first. If its a few millimetres you may have to get them machined. When I stripped mine down I found a fair amount of surface rust had built up on the internal strut tube walls which needed to sanded out. I used an extra long metal bar with course sand paper attached to an electric drill and spent a good 30min on each strut.

Hi Hamish,

I had the same issue when installing Koni yellows into my front struts, the rears were fine. It turns out there is different wall thickness's on struts of different years on the 240Z's, the OD is the same. I ended up having to get another pair of front struts to accommodate the Konis. I guess you could always machine the strut out slightly in a lathe.

Hey guys thanks for the advice, i suppose ill ask around how much it would be to get them machined out, if not will just have to buy another set of shocks.

#24 Scoota G

Scoota G

The 2000+ club

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 4,213 posts
  • Tagline:Mark

Posted 28 October 2015 - 05:11 PM

Wonder if you could run a hone up in there and solve the issue.Stripping the paint and putting a thin coat of etch on the shocks may work too.

#25 HamishJ

HamishJ

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 30 posts

Posted 28 October 2015 - 06:18 PM

Wonder if you could run a hone up in there and solve the issue.Stripping the paint and putting a thin coat of etch on the shocks may work too.

Yeah already tried stripping the paint, still was to tight

#26 HamishJ

HamishJ

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 30 posts

Posted 02 November 2015 - 09:14 PM

Hello everyone. Someone on the forum kindly sent me what was supposed to be a set of front shocks for a 240, but it turns out they are not the right model and are for another type of datsun. However I think i can just use them on the rear as they seem a pretty good fit. I was hoping someone could confirm this is a good idea.

Cheers hamish12272899_1686886574891984_571062370_n.jpg

Edited by HamishJ, 24 November 2015 - 03:29 PM.

#27 HamishJ

HamishJ

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 30 posts

Posted 24 November 2015 - 03:31 PM

As you can see there is a small gap from the shock to the top of the strut

#28 Cozza

Cozza

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 967 posts
  • Tagline:Datsun obsessed

Posted 24 November 2015 - 09:47 PM

What brand of shock are they Hamish. Maybe post a pic of the shock and the problem with installation into the front struts.
The Tokico Illuminas are the same shock for both front and rear with just a push on spacer fitted to the bottom of the rear shocks.

Mick

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users