Andrew's Yellow 240Z, Sydney Australia

240Z_au

• Administrators

On the topic of sound deadener, has anyone figured out how to replicate the factory sound deadener material and finish? I am going to rip mine up on HS30 00150 to do some rust repairs on my floors but want to retain the original look again. Not sure how the original stuff was done. 

• Moderators

On the topic of sound deadener, has anyone figured out how to replicate the factory sound deadener material and finish? I am going to rip mine up on HS30 00150 to do some rust repairs on my floors but want to retain the original look again. Not sure how the original stuff was done. 

Hi Gav

I am pretty sure the original stuff was somewhat flexible and adhesive backed.

Over time it both it and the adhesive have just gone rock hard.

Cheers

PB

This is the product that I used. From the states basically like dynamat but the thicker product. It is quite easy to install just lay it down and warm it with a heat gun then push it down with a rag. It sticks very well and adds a waterproof layer to the inside of the car instead of the old product being like a sponge.

It is a new build why not use new products.

Your car will be spot on when done. As they say it is all in the prep. Keep up the good work.

post-101458-0-60602000-1448455243_thumb.jpg

Edited by red76z

Thank you. Saw many materials like this, they are amazingly versatile. Picked up the rotisserie today (thanks Pater!). Saw a mammoth Ferrari replica build based on S30 chassis. I feel like my project is actually walk in a park by comparison. Get it all done Peter, time to live is now!

post-100533-0-63944900-1448793099_thumb.jpg

• 3 weeks later...

OK, shell picked up and delivered to body shop. Wont start till after the new year and I'm of OS for 2 weeks anyway, so will just have to sit tight. The shell is in a very good nick. The only visible rust was in the dog leg section which of course we'll cut out and weld in new panels. Other than that, doors, guards, hatch, etc, all nice and solid. 

post-100533-0-02927200-1450188187_thumb.jpg

post-100533-0-24063300-1450188193_thumb.jpg

post-100533-0-32128500-1450188198_thumb.jpg

post-100533-0-14795200-1450188201_thumb.jpg

post-100533-0-51146100-1450188206_thumb.jpg

post-100533-0-55067400-1450188209_thumb.jpg

post-100533-0-11352900-1450188214_thumb.jpg

post-100533-0-67270500-1450188217_thumb.jpg

• Administrators

Yeah that's the difference between a flogged and worn out 240z shell and a good shell.

I am not sure if I missed it, but after dipping the car obviously bare metal is exposed. Not just on the outside but inside also where you can't see the metal (say behind quarter panels) and inside frame rails etc..

Will the car be dipped in a rust proofing solution to address this? Since these cars rust from the inside out I'm curious what your approach will be?

I've seen wands you can get to spray rust proofing into gaps and hard to reach areas, Eastwoods in the US sell them.

http://www.eastwood.com/rustproofing-and-undercoating-system.html

Not sure if you have something similar in mind?

By the way was the rocker panel bogged up? I'm not surprised you found some rust there, all S30z's no matter how good seem to go in that area.

That dipping has saved you months of sanding,grinding and paint stripping good work.

Use a cavity wax sicka product with a under body gun 360deg spray pattern with flex hose for those hard to get to spots ask your local auto paint supplier about these items. That will seal the inside hard to get spots.

Mask all areas that require repairs and etch prime the rest of the shell to prevent surface rust straight away. Remove the tape on repair areas when you are about to work on it and there's no need for any surface prep as it is already done from the tank dip.

This will save you hours and $$$.

Look forward to the progress pics.

• 1 month later...

Hi Guys..Thank so much for all fo the positive comments. Sorry I was unable to reply earlier as I was "switched off" during holidays. Getting back into it now starting with a custom plating system for my bits and pieces and start on the shell. Will keep you posted. Cheers!

• 3 weeks later...
  • 7 months later...

Had few calls etc re this project..Unfortunately for the Z, I managed to push 2 other projects in front of it which took priority, so a the moment we are on hold. Hoping to finish my other thing by the end of this year, so the Z can be pushed forward.

Please dont tease like that Andrew!

I'm genuinely keen to see what you are doing irrespective of what brand/mdel it is, PM me the details if you fell like keeping it confidential.

Cheers

David

• 4 months later...