Cam Timing - Is That My Issue?

oldmates260z

It's pretty easy to check if you are using the stock cam sprocket. I've moved to Brisbane recently, so if you don't live in the sticks I could come and have a look on the weekend if you like?

To be honest if it's only running 8 degrees of timing I don't think it's going to pull very hard at those revs.

Don't know if this has been suggested already, but you could just get the su's re-jetted to suit.

Would be cheaper than maybe going down the 'triples' path!
But if your budget allows you to go 'triples', please don't let me sway your decision ;) 

I'm glad that some of my last post made some sense as I just re-read it and bits of it was all over the place as I was in a hurry and quickly typed it out....... Should have read it before sending lol

Anyway another possibility as you did mention that it pings at times and that's why you retarded your timing. It might take a couple of you but could be worth checking that the advance in your distributor isn't coming on fully too early as this could create pinging and lack of power until things speed up.

Edited by 600Z

d3c0y thanks for the offer and welcome to Brisbane :). I live in the sticks but happy to come to yours if you would be happy to have a look. Next few weeks I am tied up but if we could catch up after that it would be great. Will PM when I have a weekend free to see if it suits.  (It has a 72 degree CAM so I assume that is not stock.)

road rider I think you are 100% right and I need to get the jetting correct so the SU's meet my current engine spec. ATM I prefer to extract what I can from the SU's before going to triples

600Z interesting that the advance could come on early, have not heard of that before. I will need to reach how to check and verify that.

Thanks again all for advise.

• 2 weeks later...

What sort of fuel are you running in it?

Depends what you want to do with it, keep it stock?

Maybe just doing some chamber work like unshrouding the valves will have enough effect.

It's a massive guessing game at this point as you don't know what's been done to the head or how far you want to take it. How much has been milled off the head? Has it had any other work done?

Edited by d3c0y

d3c0y I run 98

yes it is hard to know as all work done before I owned the car. Really just want a good street car that pulls well, the ignition timing has helped.

Just seems a waste to have it not going as well as it could. If I could get some simple head work done to fix it that would be the best option. Has had a heap done on it already.

We should catch up for a run one weekend, I do a few with a couple of the Sports guys.....

• 3 weeks later...

Movement in the right direction....

Found a big leak in vacuum advance hose, fixed that but little change in timing. Will not go above 25 deg with hose on or off. So vacuum advance not working.

Took top distributor and found the magnetic ring broken.....

Is there anyone in Brisbane that rebuilds them?

post-100261-0-32708800-1456038312_thumb.jpg

post-100261-0-32858600-1456038326_thumb.jpg

d3c0y I run 98

yes it is hard to know as all work done before I owned the car. Really just want a good street car that pulls well, the ignition timing has helped.

Just seems a waste to have it not going as well as it could. If I could get some simple head work done to fix it that would be the best option. Has had a heap done on it already.

We should catch up for a run one weekend, I do a few with a couple of the Sports guys.....

That would involve my car going, 3 years and counting...

Tim, the broken bits are nt readily available in Aust, unless you can canibalse them from another L28E dzzy

Possibly they were fitted to the mid 1980's L24 E engined Skylines.

Other option is to swing ver to some sort of aftermarket optical or induction type ie Pertronx, Lumenition, or the myriad f others!

I do have a outer magnetic ring, but I am away until the 12th Mar, if you can wait?

• Administrators

That looks familiar, this is why I'm not a huge fan of the standard 280zx distributors. They have had a hard life by now and between the vacuum advance, the ball bearings in the plastic cage and the magnetic pickup they are all FUBAR.

I have a spare 280zx distributor I was going to rebuild for shits and giggles to see if I could make any good use of it. However I'll need to spend some time looking up the part no's of those broken bits.

You might want to ask Lurch what aftermarket distributor he uses on engine builds he is doing lately. I believe it's probably a cheaper / better way to go unless originality is important?

• Administrators

I am thinking a older dizzy with points and put in a electronic upgrade would be best.

Looking at the complexity of this dizzy it does not look like a good option.

Thanks guys

The problem with those might be shaft wear and axial play, hence my suggestion to go for a newer unit. Let me check how good this spare unit is for you. It looks rough though...

• 2 weeks later...