chris240

The 2000+ club

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 2,188 posts
  • Tagline:When in doubt...mumble.

Posted 23 August 2015 - 08:17 AM

Its bright !
Any chance of moving view new topics, to the bottom of the forum content ? Ie, keep "everything" together..

#82 oldmates260z

oldmates260z

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 752 posts

Posted 23 August 2015 - 09:07 AM

Great work Gav.....

When you hit "Cars for Sale" it takes you to the home page.

#83 Mr Camouflage

Mr Camouflage

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 985 posts
  • Tagline:www.wazcars.com

Posted 23 August 2015 - 09:08 AM

Whats with all the spam? 

It's everywhere I look.

#84 gav240z

gav240z

Administrator

• Administrators
  • 12,399 posts
  • Tagline:Jack of all trades, master of none.

Posted 23 August 2015 - 09:21 AM

OK this is gonna be a little messy as we transition in.

The spammers were unexpected, ironically they all joined before the new software. But were prevented from posting before due to a series of hoops new members had to jump through. The new software assumes they never get through so that's why it is so lax with preventing new users posting.

I'll see what can be done to fix it.

Will address other questions shortly.

#85 Roberto

Roberto

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 740 posts
  • Tagline:No more sunroof's!

Posted 23 August 2015 - 09:28 AM

There are some great new features. A couple of small glitches such as the spammers and time of postings is inaccurate.

#86 gav240z

gav240z

Administrator

• Administrators
  • 12,399 posts

Posted 23 August 2015 - 09:37 AM

There are some great new features. A couple of small glitches such as the spammers and time of postings is inaccurate.

Top right, click on your username go to My Settings and change timezone. That should fix it.

#87 gav240z

gav240z

Administrator

• Administrators
  • 12,399 posts

Posted 23 August 2015 - 09:37 AM

God damn spammers! New software is tricky to figure out how to delete all their damage.. Ughh...

#88 gav240z

gav240z

Administrator

• Administrators
  • 12,399 posts

Posted 23 August 2015 - 09:45 AM

Gav,
When you get really really comfortable, and familiar with something, it's a "second nature" thing.
This new page layout, is gonna take a fair bit to get used to,,,where are the list f "recent posts" that used to appear at the bottom?

I have nfi about the back f scenes machinations about software, but what was wrong with what everyone could see up front?
Ie if it aint broke, dont fix it!

I had that feedback from another member also. Although I'm still wondering why the old forum was better in this regard? Anyway I'll see if there is anything that can be done to increase the font-size for members such as yourself. There might be a simple plugin that improves this.

As a short term fix you can zoom in using cntrl and + on Windows or command key + on Mac to increase zoom.

My long term plan was the adage "if it ain't broke, don't fix it". But there was a lot of features members were asking for, there was a lot of work keeping it all together and working (3 bits of different software etc..), there was security patches which needed to be applied, there was 3 different templates to maintain and it simply couldn't do a lot of things  from an administration perspective easily - now I can delegate other members to post news and updates for events etc.. (this will happen soon).

The site was not mobile friendly, you mentioned image uploads being cumbersome and difficult remember? Neither of those was going to be an easy fix with the old software.

The old Gallery was broken, and nobody was using it anyway. With the exception of 1 or 2 members here and there. I plan to open this up and allow for more uploads and less restrictions. Server size will increase from 25gig to 100gig.

I could go on, but suffice to say that change had to happen eventually. I will do my best to make the transition as easy as possible. But despite all my testing, who could have predicted the Russian spammers?  :

#89 chris240

chris240

The 2000+ club

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 2,188 posts
  • Tagline:When in doubt...mumble.

Posted 23 August 2015 - 09:59 AM

Haha, under my post numbers, its says "gender : not telling " .....what the !
Also cant find my emoticons...Im sure they are there.
good job Gav.

#90 brent012

brent012

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 97 posts
  • Tagline:New Member

Posted 23 August 2015 - 10:05 AM

Few things:

• Gav - What happened to your post count? Your old posts are still here, so i'm guessing post count is denormalised/stored on the user table and somethings gone wrong with yours?
  • No online/offline icon?
  • Re spam: Does IPB have StopForumSpam integration built in, or will you need a plugin?

Haha, under my post numbers, its says "gender : not telling " .....what the !

It shows up on mine too but I cant see it on yours/anyone elses, I dont think we could specify genders during registration in SMF which is why it'd show up as that after migration.

Edited by brent012, 23 August 2015 - 12:33 PM.

#91 GongZ

GongZ

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 814 posts
  • Tagline:Watanabe wannabe

Posted 23 August 2015 - 11:21 AM

My gender is displayed as male - which saves me the trauma of checking.

I posted a new topic in "Off Topic Discussions" on (I think) 22 August 2015.

The topic was "Popeye - The 1923 Datsun 240Z Nissan Dodge Bucket Roadster Pickup"
It looks like it has disappeared now.

I did a Google search ('site:viczcar.com Popeye - the 1923 Datsun 240Z Nissan Dodge Bucket Roadster Pickup')
which gave these results;

"Datsun 240z 260z Club of Australia
www.viczcar.com/
Nov 17, 2013 - Datsun 240z, 260z, 280zx Club of Australia featuring community forums, ... Popeye - the 1923 Datsun 240Z Nissan Dodge Bucket Roadster ...
You've visited this page 2 times. Last visit: 22/08/15

Off Topic Discussions - Auszcar
www.viczcar.com/forum/forum/17-off-topic-discussions/
Popeye - The 1923 Datsun 240Z Nissan Dodge Bucket Roadster Pickup 0 replies: Last by GongZ, Aug 22 2015 10:01 AM. New Replies. 120Why? 2 pages"

I did modify the post very soon after the site re-appeared after the software upgrade, so maybe it was still in transition?

I am not worried about my own post (I can recreate it easily) but wondered if any others may have been deleted.

#92 GongZ

GongZ

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 814 posts

Posted 23 August 2015 - 11:31 AM

I have also noticed that;

- "Donating member" seems to have been converted to "Advanced user"

- My name (Ian) was showing on my posts as part of my profile info, but has now disappeared. (Tagline and location still valid)

Edited by GongZ, 23 August 2015 - 11:32 AM.

#93 gav240z

gav240z

Administrator

• Administrators
  • 12,399 posts

Posted 23 August 2015 - 11:46 AM

Whats with all the spam? 

It's everywhere I look.

Thanks for the reports, as I mentioned in another thread. The spammers joined within the last 3 months. Yesterday before migration I ran several queries to clear out a lot of spammers, which dropped our member count from 10,000 down to 4,000 range. The problem was I couldn't find a query that would remove all spammers who joined in the last 3 months that would distinguish between legitimate users who just hadn't posted yet, but had registered.

The forum software is blocking attempts for new spammers so that's good, but the ones that got through are having a bit of a party in here. I'm cleaning them up manually for now.

#94 gav240z

gav240z

Administrator

• Administrators
  • 12,399 posts

Posted 23 August 2015 - 11:49 AM

My gender is displayed as male - which saves me the trauma of checking.

I posted a new topic in "Off Topic Discussions" on (I think) 22 August 2015.

The topic was "Popeye - The 1923 Datsun 240Z Nissan Dodge Bucket Roadster Pickup"
It looks like it has disappeared now.

I did a Google search ('site:viczcar.com Popeye - the 1923 Datsun 240Z Nissan Dodge Bucket Roadster Pickup')

www.viczcar.com/
Nov 17, 2013 - Datsun 240z, 260z, 280zx Club of Australia featuring community forums, ... Popeye - the 1923 Datsun 240Z Nissan Dodge Bucket Roadster ...

Off Topic Discussions - Auszcar
www.viczcar.com/forum/forum/17-off-topic-discussions/
Popeye - The 1923 Datsun 240Z Nissan Dodge Bucket Roadster Pickup 0 replies: Last by GongZ, Aug 22 2015 10:01 AM. New Replies. 120Why? 2 pages"

I did modify the post very soon after the site re-appeared after the software upgrade, so maybe it was still in transition?

I am not worried about my own post (I can recreate it easily) but wondered if any others may have been deleted.

I saw your video yesterday and watched it, I am not sure why this post disappeared? It seems to be the only missing post so far. This was why I locked the old forum while doing migration so we didn't miss anything. I am interested to see if any other posts are reported missing? Could it have been accidentally deleted by yourself?

Definitely interested to see if other stuff is missing.

I saw your early Girl Post and attached photo made it through (the car you posted yesterday). There was about 5 attachments with errors that was preventing migration. I had to skip over there. Maybe it was related to that? I am not sure.

#95 Scoota G

Scoota G

The 2000+ club

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 4,213 posts
  • Tagline:Mark

Posted 23 August 2015 - 12:03 PM

I keep getting the above message trying to attach pictures. Size is well under requirements. Any thoughts?

Mark

#96 gav240z

gav240z

Administrator

• Administrators
  • 12,399 posts

Posted 23 August 2015 - 12:07 PM

Looking into it now.

#97 zeds4ever

zeds4ever

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 864 posts
  • Tagline:Old Member

Posted 23 August 2015 - 12:10 PM

Same problem.

Alan.

#98 Maria

Maria

• Members
  • Pip
  • 1 posts

Posted 23 August 2015 - 12:21 PM

Attachment working?

Attached Thumbnails

• Screen Shot 2015-08-23 at 12.14.03 PM.png

#99 gav240z

gav240z

Administrator

• Administrators
  • 12,399 posts

Posted 23 August 2015 - 12:22 PM

I just posted an attachment above, looks to work ok? Weird you're getting an error?

#100 GongZ

GongZ

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 814 posts

Posted 23 August 2015 - 12:28 PM

I should have pointed out that in the search results the date of the post shows as Nov 17, 2013 - which is obviously wrong. I looked at the older posts in the Off Topic Discussions category - but it wasn't there either. 

www.viczcar.com/

Could it have been accidentally deleted by yourself?

I don't know how to delete posts on purpose, but I may have found a way to do it by accident.

I have now posted the topic again. I have included the youtube video - but I cannot attach any photos.

In the "Attach Files" section ot says;

"You can upload up to Uploading is not allowed of files (Max. single file size: 15MB)"

Trying to attach a 140KB photo gives the message - "Error This upload failed"

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users