#1 Lurch ™

Lurch ™

Curator of the 'Gavin Collection'

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 5,607 posts
  • Tagline:In my Den of Rust & Sin

Posted 21 August 2015 - 11:02 PM

Buy in all your Z parts from the US while you can!

http://www.abc.net.a...vendors/6715582

The quicker these numpties get kicked out of power, the better...

#2 zzzzed

zzzzed

The 2000+ club

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 2,691 posts

Posted 22 August 2015 - 08:31 AM

Greed.
It would be so bad if they actually made good products here in Australia. It should not say good affordable products

#3 chris240

chris240

The 2000+ club

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 2,188 posts
  • Tagline:When in doubt...mumble.

Posted 22 August 2015 - 08:49 AM

Its the $Au vs $us that hurts me more...
Should have bought more stuff when we hit $1.07 US  :'(
I dont have a problem with paying gst on overseas purchases. It actualy helps our Deficits.

#4 George

George

The 1000+ club

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 1,846 posts

Posted 22 August 2015 - 09:02 AM

Greed.
It would be so bad if they actually made good products here in Australia.

We make great products locally. It's just that we don't want to pay the premium price.

I'm all for lowering the existing threshold to $0. Local small to medium business, and hence all of us, will be better off.

#5 sydney mike

sydney mike

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 610 posts
  • Tagline:Certified Wheel whore.

Posted 22 August 2015 - 09:37 AM

Absolutely dumb, dumb idea. How on earth are they going ensure compliance?  "Hello Mr Wong in Shenzhen it's Joe here from Austraylia , we need you to register for gst and complete a BAS every quarter." Mr Wong "Doh Mah, deelay no more!" It's going to cost more for the govt to enforce for little reward, I can't see it happening. Unless it'll be a rort-sellers will charge it, we pay more but the govt won't actually collect it .

#6 gav240z

gav240z

Administrator

• Administrators
  • 12,399 posts
  • Tagline:Jack of all trades, master of none.

Posted 22 August 2015 - 10:11 AM

Greed.
It would be so bad if they actually made good products here in Australia. It should not say good affordable products

Except our manufacturing industry has been hollowed out thanks to a high Australian dollar and total mismanagement of the mining boom. I would prefer it if this country actually made stuff still. The only thing we have is holes and houses...

It actualy helps our Deficits.

I agree I wish I bought more stuff when the USD was weak. A lot of ways to improve the deficits, 1 is to scrap negative gearing for a start. Adjustments to Super Annuation tax loopholes that seem to benefit the already very wealthy.

In Europe they apply VAT to imported goods, but they don't make foreign companies comply, instead they just tax it on the way into Europe. However they can't catch everything so sometimes you get dinged, other times it comes through ok. It's a bit like a raffle ;). But it does encourage people to buy goods within the European Union. At least Europe still makes stuff.

We make great products locally. It's just that we don't want to pay the premium price.

I'm all for lowering the existing threshold to $0. Local small to medium business, and hence all of us, will be better off.

I tend to agree for the most part, but what really irks me is the way this government has said "nothing is off the table" in terms of tax reform then vehemently refuse to scrap negative gearing or touch super annuation. The young in this country and being screwed to keep the older generation happy. The problem is this mentality is destroying our economy.

Since the USD/AUD is crap anyway I plan to buy more from Japan or locally with regard to S30z's. That is if the AUD can stay afloat.

Absolutely dumb, dumb idea. How on earth are they going ensure compliance?  "Hello Mr Wong in Shenzhen it's Joe here from Austraylia , we need you to register for gst and complete a BAS every quarter." Mr Wong "Doh Mah, deelay no more!" It's going to cost more for the govt to enforce for little reward, I can't see it happening. Unless it'll be a rort-sellers will charge it, we pay more but the govt won't actually collect it .

Yeah they can't enforce local businesses to comply, but they can tax the goods as they arrive. In that way it will make the consumers pay more and therefore make local goods more competitive.

The thing that annoys me about a lot of Australian businesses is that when the exchange rate was favorable they didn't drop prices, instead they stay the same. As soon as the exchange rate goes the other way they jack the prices up. They double dip.

#7 PeterAllen

PeterAllen

The 1000+ club

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 1,325 posts
  • Tagline:Manana!

Posted 22 August 2015 - 11:41 AM

...The young in this country and being screwed to keep the older generation happy...

Yes, and I'd feel sorry for 'em if they weren't, generally speaking, such narcissistic, self-indulgent, materialistic little ****s.

#8 gav240z

gav240z

Administrator

• Administrators
  • 12,399 posts
  • Tagline:Jack of all trades, master of none.

Posted 22 August 2015 - 12:17 PM

I'll pay that as a fair comment for a large bunch but they have been groomed that way thanks to the influence of celebrity culture social networks and advertising agencies pushing aspirational living and hyper consumerism. Damn I've gone off topic.

#9 sydney mike

sydney mike

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 610 posts
  • Tagline:Certified Wheel whore.

Posted 22 August 2015 - 12:31 PM

Gav, that's exactly what I'm talking about. When they just tax everything that comes in from overseas it no longer becomes a consumption tax (ie GST, VAT) it becomes an import tax/tariff. We already have these taxes, we are already paying them indirectly.

It's got nothing to do with local business, they already have to collect GST and pay it to the govt if their annual turnover is over $75,000.

What they are talking about is GST which is included in the sticker price of goods, collected by the seller at the point of sale and then paid to the Aus govt via BAS. Also, if the seller is paying Aus GST they then should be able to offset it in their BAS. I'm not aware of any other country in the world that does this because it is simply not viable.

I simply cannot see it happening as a true consumption tax (GST/VAT). But to introduce a completely new tax or simply raise the import tax would be easy.

Except our manufacturing industry has been hollowed out thanks to a high Australian dollar and total mismanagement of the mining boom. I would prefer it if this country actually made stuff still. The only thing we have is holes and houses...

I agree I wish I bought more stuff when the USD was weak. A lot of ways to improve the deficits, 1 is to scrap negative gearing for a start. Adjustments to Super Annuation tax loopholes that seem to benefit the already very wealthy.

In Europe they apply VAT to imported goods, but they don't make foreign companies comply, instead they just tax it on the way into Europe. However they can't catch everything so sometimes you get dinged, other times it comes through ok.

Yeah they can't enforce local businesses to comply, but they can tax the goods as they arrive. In that way it will make the consumers pay more and therefore make local goods more competitive.

The thing that annoys me about a lot of Australian businesses is that when the exchange rate was favorable they didn't drop prices, instead they stay the same. As soon as the exchange rate goes the other way they jack the prices up. They double dip.

#10 PZG302

PZG302

The 1000+ club

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 1,751 posts

Posted 23 August 2015 - 01:27 PM

Won't come in, the current gumbyment has to win the next election and this is policy on the run pandering to their mates at the worse.

Watch the backdown when they actually look at the backlash it will cause and the cost to impliment and administer.

2 years is an awful long time in politics. In fact with the current bunch on both sides we may as well say 2 years is in the next millenium. We will see about 6 backflips on this in the next six months. 

#11 PB260Z

PB260Z

Peter (PB)

• Moderators
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 3,238 posts
  • Tagline:Must stop buying new toys for the workshop.

Posted 23 August 2015 - 01:40 PM

Watch the backdown when they actually look at the backlash it will cause and the cost to impliment and administer.

I agree 100%, just can't see how they could police that any monies added to costs of small transactions as GST ever actually make it to the government coffers.

To me this sounds like a total knee jerk reaction.

Just my 2 cents worth (plus GST ?)

#12 Scando

Scando

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 932 posts

Posted 24 August 2015 - 06:25 AM

In Europe they apply VAT to imported goods, but they don't make foreign companies comply, instead they just tax it on the way into Europe. However they can't catch everything so sometimes you get dinged, other times it comes through ok. It's a bit like a raffle ;). But it does encourage people to buy goods within the European Union. At least Europe still makes stuff.

^This is the only way to do it.  It needs to happen to level the playing field for local business, and in some cases give them an advantage, but the governments plan of enforcing it simply won't work and will cost a small fortune.

#13 260DET

260DET

The 2000+ club

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 2,153 posts
  • Tagline:Tribal Elder

Posted 24 August 2015 - 08:18 AM

What annoys me about a lot of local businesses that sell import car stuff is that they grab the distribution rights for Australia but then don't stock the stuff and/or load up the price, apparently to make their weekly profit in one hit. The real problem of course is the cost of doing business in this country, most of it govco related.

As for getting overseas sellers to collect GST, what a joke. It's things like this which make you wonder where we are headed if this is the sort of mentality that is running the country.

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users