Metal Finishing and Plating for Restorations

240Z_au

Guys

Bit of a guidance here from the more experienced members please. About to undertake restore another 240 (always something on the go) and I do want to go all out on detail this time and this one will remain as close to original as possible.

The pieces that always get to me are the little bits and pieces which I'd like to see plated with one method or another. Not looking for a cheap fix, just a solid solution I can purchase and use when I want to.

There are pretty much two types of finishes I'd like to be able to do on my own. The silver / clear and golden finish. Both, I understand are Zinc Plating with the golden/yellow finish being yellow chromate added in the process.

The other (I think this is a cleaning process) I'd like to have, is what I have seen as "water blasting"?? where the cast parts like the intake manifold, come out like brand new. All methods can be seen on this picture:

http://s690.photobucket.com/user/rahail240/media/Mobile%20Uploads/image.jpg.html

Any idea of good quality, local machine / process suppliers I should be talking to first?. Lots of garbage on net, including guys cooking bolts in toxic stuff in their kitchens LOL

Thanks in Advance.!

• 2 weeks later...

I have thought about DIY plating but I am not sure that it is worth it for me.

These two topics talk about it;

http://www.viczcar.com/forum/topic/5046-home-plating-kit/

http://www.viczcar.com/forum/topic/13420-complete-bolts-kits-any-sources-for-non-stainless/

This (from the second topic above) made me think too;

careful replating too.
can cause them to become brittle!!!, even with the pro's, unless they explicitly 'degass' them.
look up 'hydrogen embrittlement zinc plating' on Dr-google!!!!
But again, for $3/kg for plating it can be done cheaply with good results!!! (+ GST of course!!!) but I aint letting out any secrets as to where!!!  :)
nat0

Water blasting (aka hydro blasting) seems to produce fantastic results, but even finding someone who offers this as a service is difficult, let alone trying to find the equipment to buy.

• Administrators

George got some plating done in Sydney for HS30 00019 ask him where he went. I too considered DIY but after reading feedback about it, would outsource personally. Only problem is keeping everything organised.

From a previous reply:

---

I briefly researched this. You might save a few dollars but the time and space investment will offset that and then some. You're also handling toxic chemicals which is never fun and unfortunately the results are average at best from what I've seen compared to what a professional plater can do for you. There's also the problem of large parts which require large baths...

If you were to persist you might be able to reach a stage where you're outputting consistent quality results but the amount of parts you'd need plated for a single car restoration is not enough to achieve this. If you anticipate plating other items, helping out friends and possibly doing more restorations yourself in the future, you can probably justify the time.

---

I use these guys http://www.pioneerplating.com.au

Happy with their work and going back for more either this weekend or next.