• Please log in to reply
10 replies to this topic

#1 74zzz

74zzz

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 532 posts

Posted 16 August 2015 - 07:12 AM

Hey guys few questions regarding the console.... What switches did the 260z have including illuminated warnings? Also any tips to get uplostery glue off plastic? My console was recovered in velour leaving it covered in foam and glue.... Also should the be 2 mounting brackets for console?  One for under dash and one for the other end?  I only have the front one

#2 gilltech

gilltech

The 1000+ club

• Donating Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 1,077 posts

Posted 16 August 2015 - 12:12 PM

The console attaches to the bracket - which itself screws down onto the tunnel - at the front on each side with a single roundhead screw with captive washer. At back there are three countersunk screws in the coin tray, they screw down into captive nuts in a rear bracket welded to the tunnel. That's it.
[BTW I lay washers on top of the rear bracket before dropping the console into place, to relieve lengthwise tension as the console squashes down against the vinyl padding over the tunnel].
Is it soft upholstery glue? Maybe try turps, but test on the underside first, don't go too heavy with whatever you use, I wouldn't like to say how resilient that plastic is against chemicals, I think it would soften if kept saturated with anything too long. Try & remove as much as you can by hand first.

#3 Old Man Z

Old Man Z

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 36 posts
  • Tagline:New Member

Posted 27 August 2015 - 12:19 PM

I would also be curious to see a console pic from an original 75 260 2 seater as I'm missing a few switches and warning lights . Seems like there were a few different variations from market to market ( as in most models ) . Any help would be greatly appreciated , thanks ', Will

#4 gav240z

gav240z

Administrator

• Administrators
  • 12,386 posts
  • Tagline:Jack of all trades, master of none.

Posted 27 August 2015 - 12:21 PM

I would also be curious to see a console pic from an original 75 260 2 seater as I'm missing a few switches and warning lights . Seems like there were a few different variations from market to market ( as in most models ) . Any help would be greatly appreciated , thanks ', Will

I suspect those missing switches were never there from new. I think our market missed out on a lot of bells and whistles compared with other markets.

Although later 77/78 model 260z's seem to have got more of those items, like choke light etc..

Would be good to confirm this is true though.

#5 Sirpent

Sirpent

The 2000+ club

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 2,294 posts
  • Tagline:John.O.

Posted 27 August 2015 - 02:47 PM

Also any tips to get uplostery glue off plastic? My console was recovered in velour leaving it covered in foam and glue

Go down to SuperCheap and purchase some PrepSol, same as what is used to wipe down undercoat prior to top coating, this is the most forgiving solvent available and will soften the contact cement while not effecting the plastic.  

• gav240z likes this

#6 gilltech

gilltech

The 1000+ club

• Donating Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 1,077 posts

Posted 29 August 2015 - 10:49 AM

Any joy on the console switches?

Not exactly the same as yours perhaps but my '74 only has the Hazard switch at centre lower, left of that is the rear Demister switch, & in upper left above that is the blue Demister light. The other three positions have blanks in them. Pretty plain jane.

There are redundant plugs in the loom beneath for other items for better equipped markets, such as fog lamps, park lamps or whatever.

[And FWIW some markets added little warning lights in the heater control panel, seatbelt & temp I think?].

#7 Sirpent

Sirpent

The 2000+ club

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 2,294 posts
  • Tagline:John.O.

Posted 29 August 2015 - 12:02 PM

[And FWIW some markets added little warning lights in the heater control panel, seatbelt & temp I think?].

I did a quick search on line and put this composite together for you.

The fasten seat belt, floor temp and low fuel lamps were for the US market and you can see the positioning in the pics of the Fasten seat belt lamp in the center console and the low fuel lamp to the top right upper fascia, the floor temp lamp slotted into the upper left hand side.

The floor temp lamp was part of the 280Z package with the L28 injected motor running a CAT converter which sat beneath a floor pan bulge directly below and to the right of the drivers seat in the 280Z, seems it would get a bit hot at times. Australia never got this option so those 3 lamps are relative only to US ( EU ? ) vehicles.

I assume the remaining blank plated spots were for after market owner switch provision.

Cheers

John

Attached Thumbnails

• 260Z lamps and switches.jpg

Edited by Sirpent, 29 August 2015 - 12:07 PM.

#8 YosemiteZed

YosemiteZed

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 99 posts
  • Tagline:Rust never Sleeps

Posted 29 August 2015 - 12:53 PM

I have a 1/75 and a 9/76 consul

both have a choke indication light in the consul opposite to the demister on the RHS

this was wired to a miro switch on the choke handle bracket

the choke light is orange background and white lettering

I can get a photo latter and post it if you want

Also I have a datsun FSM that was published in japan OCT/76 that describes the Choke indication 

I will check what else is relevant and post as I also have an Aus dated parts manual that should indicate when it was put into the car and what revisions happened till 78

Cheers

Phil

Edited by YosemiteZed, 29 August 2015 - 01:18 PM.

#9 74zzz

74zzz

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 532 posts

Posted 08 September 2015 - 02:16 PM

hi Guys

sorry was over seas and missed all this :)

I have a heap of switches collected by previous owner- chokes, hazards, demister, fuel warning for up near the the air vents (small rectangle). from what I can tell it should be as giltech describes ( the top left pic from Sirpents post minus the fasten seatbelt light) as the console i have replaced had a demister and hazard switch, demist light and the blanking plates had been modified/drilled for thermo fan and fuel pump switch and the small upper centre square blank drilled for the kill switch light.  

Will be selling off a whole heap of stuff soon as I have duplicates of a lot of bits and pieces

Edited by 74zzz, 08 September 2015 - 02:18 PM.

• locklock likes this

#10 locklock

locklock

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 208 posts
  • Tagline:New Member

Posted 09 September 2015 - 08:42 PM

Hi 74zzz...
Do you happen to have extra knob for these 2 switches?

image.jpg1_zps1knnwaxt.jpg

#11 aj_

aj_

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 58 posts

Posted 31 March 2016 - 06:26 PM

hi Guys

sorry was over seas and missed all this :)

I have a heap of switches collected by previous owner- chokes, hazards, demister, fuel warning for up near the the air vents (small rectangle). from what I can tell it should be as giltech describes ( the top left pic from Sirpents post minus the fasten seatbelt light) as the console i have replaced had a demister and hazard switch, demist light and the blanking plates had been modified/drilled for thermo fan and fuel pump switch and the small upper centre square blank drilled for the kill switch light.  

Will be selling off a whole heap of stuff soon as I have duplicates of a lot of bits and pieces

Still got these? I'm after a couple if you do - can confirm exactly which next week.

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users