• Please log in to reply
20 replies to this topic

#1 74zzz

74zzz

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 532 posts

Posted 10 August 2015 - 02:07 PM

Was looking at what they do just because its local and jeepus.......the prices are scary! http://www.swmotorsp...products_id=123 compared to the techno toys as $325. Yes t3 mass produce but SWM triple the price? will definitely be going t3 option when I cross this bridge:) even with shipping it would be almost half that price....

#2 Lurch ™

Lurch ™

Curator of the 'Gavin Collection'

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 5,662 posts
  • Tagline:In my Den of Rust & Sin

Posted 10 August 2015 - 05:30 PM

I run some SWR suspension components on my Z, and I've seen some T3 items first hand.
It's horses for courses - it depends on what you're expectations are & what you are setting out to achieve.

Yes Stew is more expensive, but I know where I'd rather spend my $...

#3 74zzz

74zzz

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 532 posts

Posted 10 August 2015 - 05:54 PM

hmm is there really that much fab work involved for 1000 plus price? i guess thats why im scratching my head. they look almost identical surely there cant be such quality difference in parts used in something so basic? im not in the industry so have no clue but is welding quality (percieved)really worth that much more?

#4 Riceburner

Riceburner

The 2000+ club

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 3,261 posts

Posted 10 August 2015 - 06:02 PM

Their stuff is top notch, off road rally and targa proven. Not cheap though, but I guess when you factor in shipping, possible returns or issues the difference wouldn't be that great.

Their front diff mount is genius & it's bullet proof!

#5 Lurch ™

Lurch ™

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 5,662 posts

Posted 10 August 2015 - 06:16 PM

These are the forged one-piece radius rods that Stew sells - retail was around $300 IIRC.

Posted Image

In my experience, the T3 items don't give enough adjustment to give more than 3deg castor.
The SWM items give 3deg+

Give Stew a call. I'm sure he has products to suit all budgets ;)

#6 74zzz

74zzz

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 532 posts

Posted 10 August 2015 - 06:45 PM

guess i was trying to see the logic as I was genuinely shocked to see the cost :) from a rookies view who is not a hardcore racer i see it as a threaded steel rod with a rose joint and a few bolts at each end:)

#7 Lurch ™

Lurch ™

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 5,662 posts

Posted 10 August 2015 - 06:55 PM

from a rookies view who is not a hardcore racer i see it as a threaded steel rod with a rose joint and a few bolts at each end:)

Posted Image

#8 d3c0y

d3c0y

The 2000+ club

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 2,909 posts
  • Tagline:Forum Jerk

Posted 10 August 2015 - 07:30 PM

For your application T3 ones will be fine, ZCCJDM do a setup which is slightly better too.

#9 1600dave

1600dave

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 607 posts

Posted 10 August 2015 - 07:37 PM

Two questions :

Has an African Safari winning Zed been prepared by T3 using their components ?

Do you need components that will win an African Safari rally ?

I guess what I'm getting at is that "a rookie who is not a hardcore racer " probably isn't SWM's target market, most people will be satisfied with cheaper, lesser quality stuff, but there will always be those that want the absolute best uality gear they can get.

#10 74zzz

74zzz

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 532 posts

Posted 10 August 2015 - 07:57 PM

Trying to stay local but not pay through the arse however seems there are no other options. Surprised no one else has had a crack. And yes you are right I definitely don't need safari grade parts

#11 zcar63

zcar63

Advanced Member

• Donating Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 94 posts
  • Tagline:New Member

Posted 10 August 2015 - 10:58 PM

Hi 74zzz
i'm not far away ,come and have a look at my castor arms,forged steel ,very strong compared to standard and only $50 from the wrecker and a little bit of work to make them fit.
cheers David

#12 dat2kman

dat2kman

The 2000+ club

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 4,061 posts
  • Tagline:going sailing, see ya later!

Posted 10 August 2015 - 11:30 PM

Search very deeply while you ask yourself,
"Why do I need these items?
You'll find that you do not need them.

The cars can be quite easily altered, using the standard items as fitted, with some slight mdifications.
The guys running Historic Group S, they have to run standard bits, have got this sorted.
Go talk to Bruce Dalziel at LEDA Suspension, on Northside, he can do this stuff!
Zcar63, also Northside, has done some good bits and pieces, catch up with him!

#13 44014

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 817 posts
  • Tagline:Garage San Maru

Posted 10 August 2015 - 11:33 PM

If anything the t3 stuff is over engineered and a lot more " heavy duty " then it has to be.
The caster arms at no where near max adjustment have my front wheels just about hitting the front of my guards. How much caster do you want?

#14 74zzz

74zzz

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 532 posts

Posted 11 August 2015 - 07:07 AM

It's not that I need them but am pulling the underside off in a few goes and powder coating everything but was wondering if I go to the trouble why not upgrade at the same time..... Its already got castor rods from a falcon from memory

#15 hmd

hmd

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 300 posts

Posted 12 August 2015 - 12:12 PM

We are very lucky to have people like Stew Wilkins, Les Collins and James Flett etc... working on and having products in old Z cars.

It's very unfair to say such and such is 3 times more expensive WHEN you compared apples against sultanas.

You can get an L6 engine build for 1/5 the price of Les Collins engine built, but you get what you paid for.

#16 74zzz

74zzz

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 532 posts

Posted 12 August 2015 - 01:03 PM

call me naive, ignorant or plain stupid but having an 300hp+ l28 built is a new beast every time and the hours problem solving and tuning and tweaking is different story to suspension pieces that once designed, tested and rnd complete can be reasonably quick to turn out..... Maybe im arguing for the sake of arguing because I have a day off work :) his workshop is top notch granted and his history and performance proven just cant imagine too many z owners forking out 7 grand plus on suspension pieces....drop prices and we'd all swarm :)

#17 hmd

hmd

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 300 posts

Posted 12 August 2015 - 01:21 PM

call me naive, ignorant or plain stupid but having an 300hp+ l28 built is a new beast every time and the hours problem solving and tuning and tweaking is different story to suspension pieces that once designed, tested and rnd complete can be reasonably quick to turn out..... Maybe im arguing for the sake of arguing because I have a day off work :) his workshop is top notch granted and his history and performance proven just cant imagine too many z owners forking out 7 grand plus on suspension pieces....drop prices and we'd all swarm :)

Maybe he needs to recover all that R&D you talked about.
The S30 market is very small, I am sure if its for the wrx or mx5 he could probably reduce the price in the hope of more volume.

#18 1600dave

1600dave

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 607 posts

Posted 12 August 2015 - 01:38 PM

cant imagine too many z owners forking out 7 grand plus on suspension pieces....drop prices and we'd all swarm :)

And yet he still has a thriving business after many, many years at it.

7 grand doesn't even cover the entry fee for a single event for some of his customers, let alone all the other costs of competing.

#19 gav240z

gav240z

Administrator

• Administrators
  • 12,655 posts
  • Tagline:Jack of all trades, master of none.

Posted 12 August 2015 - 02:23 PM

We are very lucky to have people like Stew Wilkins, Les Collins and James Flett etc... working on and having products in old Z cars.

It's very unfair to say such and such is 3 times more expensive WHEN you compared apples against sultanas.

You can get an L6 engine build for 1/5 the price of Les Collins engine built, but you get what you paid for.

Let's also not forget that if it had a Porsche badge on the bonnet, all this stuff would be 3x more expensive anyway ;).

#20 74zzz

74zzz

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 532 posts

Posted 12 August 2015 - 03:02 PM

points taken :) im just being a pain in the arse because i cant afford it haha

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users