krizza

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 32 posts
  • Tagline:Kris

Posted 04 August 2015 - 09:56 PM

Hi guys,

I have just picked up a 75 260z 2+2 (manual with A/C) and am in the process of collecting all of the parts I need to replace the very tired 40yo suspension. It is just a weekend cruiser so I don't want to go to the expense of a coilover setup.

I have ordered a set of KYB excelG strut inserts and am currently looking at replacing the majority of the bushes with superpro gear (I am not sure if I will leave the rear trailing arm bushes alone or not - it sounds like a real job!).

I am hoping some of you 2+2 owners can tell me what part numbers I need for King springs from your real world experience. Ideally I would like to drop the car ~20-30mm from standard but want the springs to remain captive at full droop, so if I have to stay standard height I will. I also don't want any issues with the shocks bottoming out and don't want to resection my struts.

I have read every thread I can find and haven't found the info I am looking for - can anyone give me some advice?

Cheers,
Kris

#2 dat2kman

dat2kman

The 2000+ club

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 4,030 posts
  • Tagline:going sailing, see ya later!

Posted 05 August 2015 - 07:58 AM

Have a look on their website.
Go for the Low version, bear in mind, after 30+ years the stock ones will have sagged a bit, and when you fit the new Low versions, it might not be all that different to what it is now!
They can always be trimmed a half coil, but do that once they too have had a bit of settling in time.

#3 krizza

krizza

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 32 posts
  • Tagline:Kris

Posted 05 August 2015 - 09:49 AM

Yeah, I have checked their catalogue but it only lists 260z, it doesn't differentiate between 2 seater and 2+2. Seeing as the rear struts are different between them I assume that there is a difference in rear spring length as well? That is why I was hoping someone here could give me some real work experience with what part numbers fit and whether they stayed standard height or lowered their 2+2.

Thanks for the reply.

#4 WogsRus

WogsRus

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 351 posts
  • Tagline:New Member

Posted 12 August 2015 - 04:17 PM

anyone got a part number then?

#5 GongZ

GongZ

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 809 posts
  • Tagline:Watanabe wannabe

Posted 12 August 2015 - 05:14 PM

I found this post from Lurch;

1 Yes they will. The kings springs lower your car around 30mm. This will be quite suitable for your intended application & will firmin your ride slightly.
The Koni Reds are the single acting, one way adjustable damper & are excellent in road cars.
Cheap bastards option: if you have the original factory oil inserts, you can drain the oil out & replace it with heavier fork oil or ATF – works VERY well!

2 I lowered my bus with the lowered Kings springs – I am not sure what the rate is but the coil wire was 0.5 thicker than standard.
Perhaps speak to a Kings tech to clarify the rate. I highly doubt the ride quality will degrade much.

3 I only bottom out when I inadvertently drive through pot holes. You'd have to lower your Zed a loooooooong way for it to bottom out over normal tarmac surfaces.

I also found this;

King Springs phone 07 5539 6700  ::)
http://www.kingsprin.../contact_us.htm

#6 PB260Z

PB260Z

Peter (PB)

• Moderators
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 3,237 posts
  • Tagline:Must stop buying new toys for the workshop.

Posted 12 August 2015 - 05:54 PM

Gidday

I purchased a set a few weeks back and should be fitting them to my 2+2 in the next week or two.
The part numbers are at home, Once fitted I will post the Part Numbers and measurement from Guard lips to Hub centre.
That will enable you to make your own call if they are the height you are after.

Cheers

PB

#7 gilltech

gilltech

The 1000+ club

• Donating Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 1,077 posts

Posted 12 August 2015 - 07:38 PM

I tried a set of their lowered versions (30mm lower?) & the fronts weren't captive, & the rears were only just which is why I'm sure they are intended for the 2+2 with it's taller struts which many Aus aftermarket parts suppliers seem to think is the only type of 260Z.
Too short, too stiff, & because of the latter the ride height at front ended up slightly higher than before, & left the back noticeably higher. No good, I put the originals back on, I don't want a car that rides like a skateboard.

#8 WogsRus

WogsRus

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 351 posts
  • Tagline:New Member

Posted 12 August 2015 - 09:26 PM

Oh well, looks like angle grinder it is. LOL.

If anyone has 2+2 part numbers, that would be great

#9 PB260Z

PB260Z

Peter (PB)

• Moderators
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 3,237 posts

Posted 13 August 2015 - 05:57 PM

anyone got a part number then?

Gidday

The part numbers I have are, for lowered.

Front : KDFL04 - 260Z lowered fronts, one size fits all 260's
Rear : KDRS09 - 260Z Standard Rears, these will lower the 2+2 due to the longer strut than the 2 seater. I will also be fitting 2 seater top hats to the rear that will further lower the rear and bring it pretty much level with the front (or so I am told)

Once they are fitted I will comment further re the exact results achieved.

Cheers

PB

#10 Lurch ™

Lurch ™

Curator of the 'Gavin Collection'

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 5,602 posts
  • Tagline:In my Den of Rust & Sin

Posted 13 August 2015 - 06:15 PM

http://www.viczcar.c...pic,2334.0.html

#11 gilltech

gilltech

The 1000+ club

• Donating Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 1,077 posts

Posted 13 August 2015 - 06:28 PM

How are you proposing to deal with a lack of spring capture at one or both ends?
That was the problem I had at the front.

#12 PB260Z

PB260Z

Peter (PB)

• Moderators
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 3,237 posts

Posted 13 August 2015 - 06:47 PM

How are you proposing to deal with a lack of spring capture at one or both ends?
That was the problem I had at the front.

Gidday,

I will deal with it at the time if I have that problem, but as the car is currently way to low and I will actually be raising the front I don't envisage that problem. There is a possibility of the exact opposite problem though. Time will tell.

#13 dat2kman

dat2kman

The 2000+ club

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 4,030 posts
  • Tagline:going sailing, see ya later!

Posted 13 August 2015 - 08:48 PM

Drill two small 5 or 6 mm) holes in top and bottom spring perches, use tie wire and wire secure the springs to the perches.
On jacking up, r going over kerbs, the top perch then just sludes down the shock shaft.

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users