• Please log in to reply
552 replies to this topic

#41 HS30-H

HS30-H

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 610 posts

Posted 06 August 2015 - 06:52 PM

Alan, can you elaborate further on Mr. Katayama's involvement (and lack thereof) with S30 development?

Katayama wasn't an engineer, designer or even a 'stylist'. He had no real ability to give technical input on any of Nissan's products, and he never had any remit to do so anyway. He wasn't any kind of product planner. His education was in economics, and he joined Nissan to work in their nascent advertising and sales department. He was related to Yoshisuke Aikawa, Nissan's creator and first President (a fact which helped him all through his career...).

Katayama came into the story of what would become the S30-series Z when it had already started. His 'input' was more along the lines of "I can sell this" than any other measurable practical sense. He added the weight of his support for the 'Maru Z' team, which would have been a help to them when dealing with higher management, but the Z certainly had no details that can be attributed to Katayama's hand. He was living and working in the USA for the whole time that the S30-series Z was being created, and only visited Japan for short periods. He was a supporting cast member with a walk-on part, not a main player. 

I've heard comments made he was 'banished' to the US...?

You've heard the phrase "Poor me, poor me, pour me a drink", right? He was actually given a promotion. Part of Katayama's schtick was to paint himself as a bit of a victim who had a constant 'battle' with upper management. If you think about it, this works well when talking to dealers; Enabling him to become the smiling, friendly face of a giant, all but faceless corporation. Good for sales. Good salesman.

He was an important figure in Nissan's history, indeed a great man, but so much garbage is written about him. Check out the very first paragraph of his Wikipedia page for example: It says he was "the first president of Nissan Motor Co USA", which is utter nonsense. The Wikipedia article goes on to contradict itself, and link to a classiczcars.com thread that I participated in: http://www.classiczc...youtube-video/ 

In his later years I believe Katayama himself started to believe the things that people were (mistakenly) thanking him for. He's on film saying "I designed it" (the '240Z'). I myself attended a small gathering in Tokyo where he was the honoured guest, and heard him say much the same thing. He made a long speech where he used the word "I" many, many times. Other members of the 'Maru Z' S30-series Z design and engineering team were in the same room, so he would have been better advised to say - at the very least - 'we'. It didn't seem to cross his mind. I felt embarrassed for the 'Maru Z' team members, but they took it all with good grace. 

Catch me on a bad day and I might be tempted to say that Katayama's greatest sales success was selling the concept of "Mister K.". That's not necessarily a criticism, maybe more a wry observation on the cult of personality that surrounded him and the fact that he himself started to believe his own press...

#42 44014

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 817 posts
  • Tagline:Garage San Maru

Posted 06 August 2015 - 11:19 PM

i remember seeing it.......only thing i can remember the ad saying was light weight racing wheels........havnt seen wheels like it since.....so just assumed it may be it......i could be wrong with samford :) the sale pics of were it sitting on a road with a bush back drop:)

The wheels are not a good topic  >:(
I let Jake take them so he could keep the car movable and he then sold the car with my wheels on it.
.... Was not happy to say the least.
The wheels are work e wings 3 piece and they were unbelievably light.

#43 gav240z

gav240z

Administrator

• Administrators
  • 12,380 posts
  • Tagline:Jack of all trades, master of none.

Posted 06 August 2015 - 11:43 PM

Updated first post with the best picture I could get of HS30 00165.

The URL it was last seen at was:
http://www.carsales..../SSE-AD-2795701

But none of the Internet Archive services I used could retrieve the page. So that was the best photo I could get of it. The 1/4 windows were welded over and the car was generally customised on every panel. As mentioned it's destined to become a Ferrari GTO replica now.

#44 Gareth. J.

Gareth. J.

The 2000+ club

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 3,237 posts

Posted 07 August 2015 - 06:55 AM

It does have a certain smell about it, I can't quite put my finger on it. IMO it comes across as a little pretentious, each to their own I guess. To me 'Zenki' is much nicer.

On a lighter note, there's plenty of very interesting info here though.

#45 74zzz

74zzz

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 532 posts

Posted 07 August 2015 - 08:18 AM

Yeap saw that customised zed for sale a while back it was for sale for a while actually..........horrified when i looked at it :) the 80s and 90s guys have a lot to answer for:)

#46 24 Dat

24 Dat

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 347 posts
  • Tagline:Dave

Posted 07 August 2015 - 08:31 AM

On a lighter note, there's plenty of very interesting info here though.

Agreed!
I am hoping more owners can post there photos here, also here is a photo of #409 when it was discovered, in need of quite a bit of work

Attached Thumbnails

• 47864_80f29c6002b6b90c4d9faf9f9c002aae0b9e7042.jpg

#47 gav240z

gav240z

Administrator

• Administrators
  • 12,380 posts

Posted 07 August 2015 - 08:43 AM

Very cool, but #409 and no hatch vents? Interesting...

#48 24 Dat

24 Dat

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 347 posts

Posted 07 August 2015 - 08:58 AM

Very cool, but #409 and no hatch vents? Interesting...

They have been filled in and painted over (why i don't know) everything else is correct,

#49 74zzz

74zzz

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 532 posts

Posted 07 August 2015 - 09:01 AM

so whats its story? now found?

#50 jeff43

jeff43

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 214 posts
  • Tagline:Go really fast, if something gets in your way turn!

Posted 07 August 2015 - 10:19 AM

Hi All,

One more for the list. I am in Adelaide South Australia and have HS30-00134 with original engine. Currently ondergoing rotisserie restoration. Cheers Jeff.

Attached Thumbnails

• 47866_afde788ad369c1a9c06cf8d77f5650a4826d8a7f.jpg

#51 gav240z

gav240z

Administrator

• Administrators
  • 12,380 posts

Posted 07 August 2015 - 10:54 AM

Hi All,

One more for the list. I am in Adelaide South Australia and have HS30-00134 with original engine. Currently ondergoing rotisserie restoration. Cheers Jeff.

Awesome added to the list, I'm surprised how many are still around actually. This is good.

I hadn't gone past the 200 chassis range yet as I was trying to account for those first but I guess I'll have to update with all the others up to 500 soon. This thread won't be the best long term solution but it's a starting point.

What's interesting is how popular this thread has become...

Not many topics out-perform the classifieds section of the site, this is just the last few days mind you..

Attached Thumbnails

• 47876_61b393163da4cc50503961aa36e5338b4438f015.png

#52 24 Dat

24 Dat

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 347 posts

Posted 07 August 2015 - 06:35 PM

so whats its story? now found?

Yep found!!! with matching number engine in a shed and will be fully restored, when and as $$$ allow, owner is not auszcar member and most likely wants to remain anon (so I'm not saying any more till i get the ok from him), so doubt of posts of rebuild, but i could be wrong.

A good solid car to start on, but a full resto will be needed and it will be a while

#53 zed74

zed74

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 402 posts
  • Tagline:New Member

Posted 07 August 2015 - 08:38 PM

Interesting...
I have HS30-000532 and it also has the filled in hatch vents😟

#54 Matt211zed

Matt211zed

• Members
  • Pip
  • 3 posts

Posted 07 August 2015 - 09:58 PM

Hey guys iv just bought hs30-000211 with matching numbers. The guy i bought it off has hs30-00012 which he is looking to sell.

#55 74zzz

74zzz

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 532 posts

Posted 07 August 2015 - 10:08 PM

Photos please matt

#56 zed74

zed74

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 402 posts

Posted 08 August 2015 - 03:55 AM

From memory 211 is a very nice car that was well restored...I think?

Sounds like Alex M getting out of Zeus to feed his modern lotus passion😄

#57 Bonkers

Bonkers

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 90 posts

Posted 08 August 2015 - 01:38 PM

Just a quick update that number 00046 is long gone . I lost it in 1989 to a semi- trailer.
But bits of it went on to other cars and the wheels it had at the time went to Alex's car which he seems to have been sold to matt211zed.
That is a special car you have there Matt as it has a lot of history with ZCCQ and was the car featured on the poster for the first Z car nationals held in Australia in 1990. If you don't have a poster I am sure ZCCQ will dig one up for you.I hope Alex is well and I should catch up with him.
Just some pics from the last time I saw the car at Lakeside in 2010.   

Attached Thumbnails

• 47885_17e9318ec9580af21c14779e439c6c256a990381.jpg
  • 47883_c9ee50b3dc9820e9d77f4255ed06e775fd5627cd.jpg

#58 d3c0y

d3c0y

The 2000+ club

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 2,847 posts
  • Tagline:Forum Jerk

Posted 08 August 2015 - 07:26 PM

From memory 211 is a very nice car that was well restored...I think?

Sounds like Alex M getting out of Zeus to feed his modern lotus passion😄

No this one is a different car that is burgandy. He still has the orange one pictured above.

#59 zed74

zed74

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 402 posts

Posted 08 August 2015 - 07:49 PM

No this one is a different car that is burgandy. He still has the orange one pictured above.

i'm confused :-\

#60 Matt211zed

Matt211zed

• Members
  • Pip
  • 3 posts

Posted 08 August 2015 - 08:33 PM

Alex still has his red zed that im sure he will never part with. I bought the burgundy one( came with a free 6ft snake). Car is currently at the panel beaters get rust removal and then resprayed to its orignal 907 green. He also had 73 zed sitting in the shed that my mate bought last weekend to restore it to its former glory.

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users