Early Girl Bingo - With Photos

gav240z

• Administrators

Very interesting, HS30 00068 was originally 903 blue. I wonder if this car was also? However HS30 00063 was white with blue interior.

Bit of a shame about the kodifications, I wonder if the original L24 is still around.

It's always good to see another sub 100 car still surviving either way!

https://www.facebook.com/183381061694148/photos/a.489726391059612.1073741828.183381061694148/578265445539039/?type=3&theater

Flashback Friday! Widebody Datsun 240Z we did back in 2010 for Mick Sproule of MX Performance - shown here at WTAC. What a machine!

It would appear it had a 2JZ in it.

HI Guys,

I just spoke to a chap in Far North Queensland who owns HS30 000233.  

He has restored it and it is in pretty original condition - matching numbers, SU's, gearbox all original.

Nice bloke, I've encouraged him to make an into on the forum, hopefully post some pictures of his car.

Cheers

• Administrators

HI Guys,

I just spoke to a chap in Far North Queensland who owns HS30 000233.  

He has restored it and it is in pretty original condition - matching numbers, SU's, gearbox all original.

Nice bloke, I've encouraged him to make an into on the forum, hopefully post some pictures of his car.

Cheers

As last seen many years ago..

https://goo.gl/photos/5YXAH9aQGJmkD3DR9

Gavin,

I'm not going to beat about the bush here - the production 'data' in that 280ZX book (the title says it all, actually) is a load of old bollocks. It's not fit for use. And WTF does "others" mean? Where's Japan FFS...?

It's a nice coffee table book with pretty pictures, but it's more useful as a doorstop than as a reference point. Or maybe useful for throwing at people who think the term 'Datsun 240Z' covers all S30-series production for the 1969 through 1973 period....

That's a pretty big call, in effect you are saying that an official Nissan publication is not to be believed. Because it's a "coffee table book"? I've found it quite interesting, the part on aero development of the 280ZX is certainly informative as is the process of bringing a new model into existence. 

That's a pretty big call, in effect you are saying that an official Nissan publication is not to be believed. Because it's a "coffee table book"? I've found it quite interesting, the part on aero development of the 280ZX is certainly informative as is the process of bringing a new model into existence. 

Not really that big a call in my opinion. It's a nice book with some good photos and includes interesting design & engineering information, but it was clearly aimed at a particular market and - as a result - falls into the trap of skewing the story to fit what they think the target audience can cope with. The biggest clue is that it is called 'Datsun 280ZX'. That's dumbing it down. It should be called 'Nissan S130-series Z', but - of course! - that would be too confusing for people brought up believing that '240Z, 260Z, 280Z' is the whole story.

More specifically - and the reason the book was brought up in this thread - the 'Production Volume' data for the (S30-series) Z in the book is total garbage. There are no figures quoted for 1969 (when production of Domestic variants was actually double the production of Export variants) and the figures for 1970 through 1977 do not include Japanese market variants. How does it make sense to leave out the second largest market by volume in a table of figures titled 'Production Volume'? It is totally misleading. Unjustifiable.

So, yeah. Pretty book, but it's like it was written by Real Estate Agents.   

• Administrators

@Alan do you know the "true" identity of this car?

https://www.bonhams.com/auctions/19289/lot/237/?category=list

The chassis plate shows:

HS30 - 11696X
L24 - 155359

But that would put the chassis range around:  HS30 101XX - HS30 1012XX range by my guess...

Any idea what the chassis code on the car is? Is it an actual HS30?

@Alan do you know the "true" identity of this car?

https://www.bonhams.com/auctions/19289/lot/237/?category=list

The chassis plate shows:

HS30 - 11696X
L24 - 155359

But that would put the chassis range around:  HS30 101XX - HS30 1012XX range by my guess...

Any idea what the chassis code on the car is? Is it an actual HS30?

Although I have stood next to the car several times in the past, and even supplied some parts for its original build as a rally car, I have never looked all that closely at it's 'true' identity - if indeed it's anything other than HS30-11696. I don't know who owns the car now, and sometimes it's best not to let too much sunshine in on magic...

Are you extrapolating chassis number range from the engine number, and to within a few hundred cars? I wouldn't if I were you. Especially on something like this, where the engine bay tag has obviously been altered. That 'X' suffix wasn't put there by the factory in this car's case. There were some markets - and some instances - where cars had anti-tamper 'X' marks stamped at the beginning and end of the chassis code, but this car wasn't one of them.

I'd be very surprised (as would the Police and the Vehicle Licensing authorities...) if the chassis number on the firewall didn't match up with that engine bay tag. Of course, that doesn't mean it's the same one that Nissan Shatai engraved onto it when it was new...

I'd be very wary of digging too deep with cars like this if I were you.    

• Administrators

Are you extrapolating chassis number range from the engine number, and to within a few hundred cars? I wouldn't if I were you. 

I'd be very wary of digging too deep with cars like this if I were you.    

Guilty as charged, however looking at every other HS30 I've recorded so far it's usually pretty accurate. There are a few where this hasn't been the case but it's an odd ball car here and there.

Unfortunately you have piqued my interest more. :D

Funny it's a Tony Fall car too.

Guilty as charged, however looking at every other HS30 I've recorded so far it's usually pretty accurate. There are a few where this hasn't been the case but it's an odd ball car here and there.

Unfortunately you have piqued my interest more. :D

Funny it's a Tony Fall car too.

The trouble is, this car might 'infect' your data. You can't necessarily trust anything about its chassis number and engine number combo. I'd at least quarantine it if I were you...

I can tell you a bit more, but not online.   

The trouble is, this car might 'infect' your data. You can't necessarily trust anything about its chassis number and engine number combo. I'd at least quarantine it if I were you...

I can tell you a bit more, but not online.

Now you have my attention! :-)

Jeff

Not to be overly dramatic about this or overplay the intrigue. It's a car that was built up from a standard road car in order to compete in historic rallies, so there's a certain amount of 'bitsa' that goes into the mix. Not skullduggery, more make do and mend...

When it came up for sale at the Bonhams auction, there were some people who were getting the wrong end of the stick about it. They were confusing it with a proper Works/ex-Works car (because of the Tony Fall connection...) when it is nothing of the sort. It was that part of the story that I found the most frustrating, and especially as some of the kit of parts being sold with the car were being described as 'ex-Works' when I had supplied them myself, and they weren't...

• Administrators

Looking at this photo again I noticed something I never saw before... Look at the rear glass! It looks like HS30 00004 had the rear defrost glass in it. Perhaps Nissan was going to fit them originally but then decided it wasn't necessary and to keep costs low removed it in later delivered cars?

Screen Shot 2017-08-19 at 11.37.01 PM.png

• 2 weeks later...

Looking at this photo again I noticed something I never saw before... Look at the rear glass! It looks like HS30 00004 had the rear defrost glass in it. Perhaps Nissan was going to fit them originally but then decided it wasn't necessary and to keep costs low removed it in later delivered cars?

attachicon.gifScreen Shot 2017-08-19 at 11.37.01 PM.png

Yep, #4 is Peter Cambell's car, he also bought my blue 240Z with the RB30 Turbo drivetrain in it back in 1999/2000.

• Administrators

I remember that street machine article on the blue 240z with rb30 turbo. It was a huge inspiration for me at the time. The clean body lines on it etc..

Is it still around?

*Edit I think member biscuitballs(Gavin) may own it now?

http://www.viczcar.com/forum/user/100873-biscuitballs/

http://www.viczcar.com/forum/topic/8885-airdams-brisbane/

post-1312-144023682814.jpg

Do you remember what chassis no. it was? If I recall correctly it was a 73?

Hey Guys,

New to the family, but been stalking for a while. I purchased #577 on the weekend which most of you would of seen bouncing around owners of late. She is a tinny bit tired but planing to bring her back to her full glory. :)

Im new to Zs and restoring but have wanted one for 10years and am looking forward to the project and to learn a heap of new things.

Anyone looking to sell a Rotissorie in Sydney let me know. :)

Cheers

Jason

P.S. Gav, you are welcome to add her to the registry. You have a heap of photos already. :P

As you can see i have a little helper, he will love that picture in 20years time when he is all grown up and car is all pretty.

36791570831_945ee7ff4b_b.jpg

I remember that street machine article on the blue 240z with rb30 turbo. It was a huge inspiration for me at the time. The clean body lines on it etc..

Is it still around?

*Edit I think member biscuitballs(Gavin) may own it now?

http://www.viczcar.com/forum/user/100873-biscuitballs/

http://www.viczcar.com/forum/topic/8885-airdams-brisbane/

Do you remember what chassis no. it was? If I recall correctly it was a 73?

I don't no if it's still around Gav but it was a pretty quick street car at the time, even Pete was impressed by it. I remember it being a '71 in the 900's build but I'll see if I can dig up the VIN# for you.

It looked different after I sold it, it had a chin front spoiler, no rear wing & Simmons wheels when I owned it. The magazine it went in was "Street Heat", maybe Gavin also put it in Street Machine, I don't no for sure.

Did those photo's come thur mate?

Edited by 240ZR

• 4 weeks later...
  • Administrators

I don't no if it's still around Gav but it was a pretty quick street car at the time, even Pete was impressed by it. I remember it being a '71 in the 900's build but I'll see if I can dig up the VIN# for you.

It looked different after I sold it, it had a chin front spoiler, no rear wing & Simmons wheels when I owned it. The magazine it went in was "Street Heat", maybe Gavin also put it in Street Machine, I don't no for sure.

Did those photo's come thur mate?

Found it, here are some photos.

https://photos.app.goo.gl/3OdTp0qGz0HZ7zTZ2

https://photos.app.goo.gl/GxfCk1hEPLZWup9z2

https://photos.app.goo.gl/zMzfNXxNT676CAky1

• Administrators

HS30 00971 has been under my nose for over 17 years! My dad had a collection of old car magazines I acquired many many years ago now. I got rid of a lot of them, except the ones that contained S30Z's.

Anyway1 magazine from 1985 had this UK specification 240z in it. Which I always thought looked great with the D caps on it.

It's been a bit of a celebrity in many publications over the years.

$_57.JPG

1506084588933-8d653a31-485e-4718-87b5-e040d9e48ffd.jpg

It now lives in Ireland.

21686052_10204153495913158_7180655079217027110_n.jpg

https://photos.app.goo.gl/QpNJ3iv0UKjL7j0a2