gav240z

Early Girl Bingo - With Photos

Hi Nathalie, thanks so much for joining and sharing the car with us. Do you know of many other low HS30 VIN's in the UK? It seems quite a few Australian delivered cars have made their way over the UK over the years.

I have attached some pictures for you.

We take the Datsun out mainly to promote the the business which is to restore and keep these wonderful cars on the roads.

www.fourways-engineering.co.uk or www.datsun240z.co.uk or we are on Facebook to if you would like to see what we do.

Regards

Nathalie Aldridge

Fourways Engineering

01732 884288

Hi Nathalie!  :)  *wavey*

Good to see you here.

Gavin: Just to add that Geoff's silver rally car - HS30-00374 - was originally a stock Australian market car that Geoff himself imported to the UK many years back. I seem to remember that it was originally green when imported (?). I have a very soft spot for it, as I watched Geoff and the guys at Fourways build it, and even supplied a few parts for it. It led the cortege at Geoff's funeral, which was quite an emotional thing for all to see...

Just thought I'd post a link to this thread on HLS30 00013 - it has some interesting photos of early car details.

http://forums.ctzcc.com/viewtopic.php?f=10&t=4114

Also some good production info here from Kats. Says HS30-00001 was produced in 07/69 used by Nissan Shatai (test vehicle). Apparently 4th car built as PRIMARY PRODUCTION PROTO TYPE. 

http://www.classiczcars.com/topic/36238-is-this-red-car-hls30-00007/?do=findComment&comment=324564

Just thought I'd post a link to this thread on HLS30 00013 - it has some interesting photos of early car details.

http://forums.ctzcc.com/viewtopic.php?f=10&t=4114

The above thread needs to be viewed parallel to the thread which ran on the classiczcars.com forum:

http://www.classiczcars.com/topic/32820-hls30-ooo13-has-been-found/?page=1

Bear in mind that there were lots of immoderate Moderator deletions and edits in the ctzcc.com thread which kind of made a cat's arse out of it all. It also served to lose the context of many of the points people like me were calling into question. The classiczcars.com thread puts some of that back into perspective, but good points made by several contributors were lost because they were deemed 'off message'.

You need a good few hours to chew through both threads. It might be worth having some 'accessories' on hand if you plan on doing a marathon straight-through read (like drinking water, sandwiches and a decent sized bucket...) and please accept my apologies in advance...   

Speedhunters article 1971 240z.

http://www.speedhunters.com/2016/02/old-dogs-new-tricks-datsun-z-2-flavours/

Plate LB349

https://www.carjam.co.nz/car/?plate=LB349

Very impressed by the info NZ has on cars, probably thanks to WOF etc..

Listed as a 72 model, but clearly a 71 based on Chassis ID and center console with twin choke.

Engine No. L24047321

Chassis No. HS30 01006

Datsun_S30_240Z_280Z_Comparo-45-800x533.

Spotted in Marrickville Sydney by a work colleague. Based on RTA look up. I think it's a 1971 240z HS30 01635.

HS30 01635.jpg

Listed as a 72 model, but clearly a 71 based on Chassis ID and center console with twin choke.

The article even calls it a 74 model somewhere.

The whole 'Model Year' thing is a distraction that more often serves to confuse than enlighten. What we should be concerned with - as far as is possible - is the actual manufacturing date.

Apart from model, sub-variant and target market, it's the manufacturing date that is most relevant in helping to sort out specs and detail differences.   

The whole 'Model Year' thing is a distraction that more often serves to confuse than enlighten. What we should be concerned with - as far as is possible - is the actual manufacturing date.

Apart from model, sub-variant and target market, it's the manufacturing date that is most relevant in helping to sort out specs and detail differences.   

This is what I'm personally trying to get more familiar with, I've noticed that many North American cars (HLS30s) were well into the multiple 1000 range by the time HS30's were only at the first 500.

How accurate do you find cross referencing of L-series motor numbers in terms of production dates? I would think this is a pretty good cross-reference, give or take a month for most cars (when say comparing North American and UK / AU / NZ / ZA cars etc..).

The problem with our cars is that they never had the date of manufacture on them like US federal law had mandated and our own compliance plates are stamped at the date they arrived ready for sale. Obviously various components on cars may have date stamps to help also, but many cars have been chopped and changed over the years. Also not all early 240z's had compliance plates. My guess is that compliance date is probably 2-3 months after build date.

For example HS30 00150 is compliance date 11/70 - which puts it's build date around July 1970. FWIW original engine number is: L24-015253

Hi Gav, here is a couple of shots of HS30 00158 regular competitor in the Queensland Super Sprint Series

post-101839-0-44821200-1456641725_thumb.jpg

post-101839-0-49600300-1456641792_thumb.jpg

Edited by gav240z

I'v been meaning to add this for the longest time now. HS30789. A project to be finished one day. Want to do the ZG thing but can not bring myself to cut the guards.! So it's back to original!

post-100545-0-24754800-1456971654_thumb.jpg

Edited by taylor

Nice find Curtis, how did you find this 1?

Is it now sold? Looks like it may have been sitting with more than 1 S30z judging by the panels on the roof.

Have been meaning to start a build thread for my car, one day it will happen.

9/71 HS30-01104
920 Safari Gold

Doesnt have the original engine :(
Original Engine no. L24-051196   If anyone has this engine I would love to buy it back, highly doubt it though
Now has a L28

Guards had already been cut when purchased so im going with the flares >:D

Photo from previous owner

post-101779-0-01680400-1458603591_thumb.png

post-101779-0-98833300-1458603608_thumb.png

Edited by 24TZ

@Alan I want to come back to this point. You say there were gaps in production and numbering. Does this mean that some numbers were never actually made?

For example does that mean it's possible HS30 00020 or HS30 00050 never existed? And were simply skipped due to whatever constraints Nissan was under at the time?

Or are you referring to the jump in production numbers that indicated changes to the models that were used for internal purposes? For example the sudden jump from HS30 00999 to HS30 1XXXX range?

I may have found HS30 00020 here in Qld. Let you know next week.

Hi Gav

Cleaning up my office last night and I found an old add I had printed out for #180 that was for sale a number of years ago .

It's a Tarmac rally car Blue in colour full cage , triple 48's etc. built by SWM .

I will try to scan the add and post it for your reference .

Cheers Doug

Cheers Doug,

When I get a chance I'm going to put all known cars into a spreadsheet (CSV) with all the known attributes of those cars. Then I'll set up a web form so that people can submit records and I'll verify them and manually enter them into the list. It won't be a full database yet, but it will allow me to slice and dice data and make amendments to it as we go. When I have a pretty good sense of the data we want to collect and present I can convert it to an actual database table pretty easily.

Just gotta find the motivation to get started...

Just in case you don't know yet Gavin - 855 has just been listed for sale by CraigWarrenZ;

http://www.viczcar.com/forum/topic/14764-240z-for-sale-in-port-lincoln-sa/

http://www.gumtree.com.au/s-ad/port-lincoln-5606/cars-vans-utes/1971-datsun-240z-coupe/1109206720

Edited by GongZ