hash76

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 40 posts
  • Tagline:New Member

Posted 27 July 2015 - 02:03 AM

Hi fellas,

Yesterday, I drove up my zed from Melbourne to Sydney, to replace my daily here which may be getting written off. The car drove beautifully the entire way, using about 10.2L/100km sitting at 1*0km/h the whole way  :-X

However, after one swift turn too many in Sydney, I remembered that I had not secured the battery correctly after removing the drip charger to do a trial start the night before. As a consequence, after arriving in Sydney, the battery, with leads still connected, managed to dislodge itself and impact the secondary diaphragm assembly (see n. 33 in attached image). Due to this, fuel started pooling atop the diaphragm. Was with some friends at the time, luckily. At first we though the hose clamp was knocked loose, so that was tightened. Didn't work. Then we thought the hose may have been punctured so we trimmed the end off and reapplied it. Didn't work. Then after removing the hose, I noticed that the brass nipple which the hose attaches to had been knocked ever so slightly out of place. I believe this is what is causing the fuel to pool atop the diaphragm assembly. With a spanner, the only tool I had at the time, I knocked it back and this seemed to lessen the amount of time from start up that the leak would begin as well as reduce its intensity.

A mate of mine suggested using a sealant or soldering it. I'm not sure about sealant due to this being a fixture through which fuel travels, and I would rather a more permanent solution than soldering- which would be quite dangerous I assume given the proximity to spilled fuel.

My inclination currently is to procure a new "secondary diaphragm assembly" as well as construct a more steadfast holster for the bulky century battery.

Wondering what more seasoned carburetor punters have to say about this situation.

I need to repair this asap as this car is now my daily and I've caused this to happen due to my own absent mindedness. 

Attached Thumbnails

• 47668_49b02ce7c61b4947dfa9085a9ad1729173e3fae2.jpg
  • 47666_d15f6efa4fd34903f745dd83d96c3673f22d3ccd.png

#2 hash76

hash76

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 40 posts

Posted 27 July 2015 - 02:06 AM

PS Thanks again to Dimitri for sending the Haynes manual last year, has come in very handy in this situation.

#3 dat2kman

dat2kman

The 2000+ club

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 4,033 posts
  • Tagline:going sailing, see ya later!

Posted 27 July 2015 - 04:54 AM

If you are North Shore, get to MIA Engines Brookvale, see James, he is a forum member, if you are Western area, get to Stew Wilkins SWM at McGraths Hill.
Not sure who to suggest on south side!

#4 George

George

The 1000+ club

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 1,846 posts

Posted 27 July 2015 - 10:00 AM

Not sure who to suggest on south side!

http://www.sumidel.com/ in Lakemba

#5 1600dave

1600dave

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 591 posts

Posted 27 July 2015 - 10:44 AM

I'm confuzzled - what type of carbs do you have ? Diagram is for a downdraft, pic is of British SU's.

If its SU's, I have a stash of spares for quite a few different types (both British and Hitachi), if I have the correct bit I can send it your way. I'm guessing its the float chamber lid (circled in your pic) that you need ? If so, what type of lid (a pic of yours would be handy).

#6 hash76

hash76

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 40 posts

Posted 28 July 2015 - 03:12 PM

Thanks for the pointers fellas, ended up disassembling the valve float and taking it to CSC on Parra Rd. The bloke there was really helpful- turned out that there was crud in the chamber keeping the needle open, and causing fuel to spill out. Probably due to running the tank down till there was 4L left in the tank...although I changed the fuel filter before the trip to a SCA unit. My suspicion is that the battery collapsing on the hosing caused debris in the hose to dislodge and get sucked in. Ive bought new hoses to replace existing engine bay fuel hosing should this be the reason.

Thinking about running in-line filters as well.

Also, battery is now securely mounted in tray, so I can now corner left hard to my heart's content.

#7 hash76

hash76

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 40 posts

Posted 28 July 2015 - 03:13 PM

I'm confuzzled - what type of carbs do you have ? Diagram is for a downdraft, pic is of British SU's.

If its SU's, I have a stash of spares for quite a few different types (both British and Hitachi), if I have the correct bit I can send it your way. I'm guessing its the float chamber lid (circled in your pic) that you need ? If so, what type of lid (a pic of yours would be handy).

The carbs I have are the British SU as well. Never had to fiddle with them before- but now that it has happened, it's really quite fascinating when you start to take them apart.

#8 hash76

hash76

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 40 posts

Posted 28 July 2015 - 03:21 PM

Some snaps in Riverstone area post repairs:

Attached Thumbnails

• 47702_8394fade8af5381505c5c20c8534b716028e25a7.jpg
  • 47700_41b1e8a6225b30bc3c1550cc0e1a554d24c769e1.jpg