WTB: 240z gear knob button

adam

Hi all,

I'm in need of the factory gear knob button which shows the '1,2,3,4,5,R' numbers and sits on the factory wooden gear knob.

It was missing when I purchased the car a few years back and the knob alone is digging into my hands lol

Any help is much appreciated. I am in located in Melbourne but the button's tiny and will fit in an envelope.

Cheers,

Adam

I have noticed that there's quite a bit of demand for them.. Wonder why. Was a there a thief going around back in the 70s and 80s picking the buttons off or something?

I made these 5 speed buttons with some degree of success , ...

Hi Taylor - I am also interested in buying one if you get around to it. Do you (or anybody who bought one of these) have a photograph of how they turned out?

I wonder why B Projects decided to make the R red?  :'(

• Administrators

I have noticed that there's quite a bit of demand for them.. Wonder why. Was a there a thief going around back in the 70s and 80s picking the buttons off or something?

The buttons cracked with age, the 5 speed buttons are rare compared to the 4 speed ones you find on eBay in the US, but even they are harder to find now. Nissan made some replacement ones years later but the wood texture and shape was slightly different to the original.

I managed to find a couple of 4 speed ones and just flip the buttons out for the 5 speeds I got off Taylor. Taylor can chime in if he likes, but I believe he was trying to improve the finish further before selling them. They have minor imperfections but I was happy with them still.

72 240z

IMG_20141006_222435.jpg

70 240z

IMG_20140718_181235.jpg

Details here.

http://www.viczcar.com/forum/index.php/topic,14508.msg154428.html#msg154428

I bought a lot of 4 speed knobs (10) from the states as I couldn't find a decent 5 speed , I manage to find a really nice 5 speed button to make a mould from, thanks to another member in Brisbane.

Injection moulding would be the way to go as making them one by one was a slow process, and trying to get rid of all the air bubbles was my greatest challenge .

I don't go home as much as I would like , and I miss my zeds as I have 3 sitting in the shed.

Happy to pass on my notes if anyone wishs to make their own.

The 240Z 5-speed shift knob (specifically the shift pattern button) is a very elusive beast that I have been hunting for several years. Unfortunately, my car came with a very original T-bar handle. :'(

There seem to be quite a few people that would love to find one, and therefore a willing, if not huge market for someone to capitalise on.

This link shows this topic discussed extensively on the Classiczcars site;

http://www.classiczcars.com/topic/44587-5-speed-knob-reproduction/

You may recognise some of the people who have contributed to this thread.

Good condition, correct 5 speed gear knob and 72-73 centre console were almost imposible to find, took me near on 3 years of searching, bidding and begging. Wouldnt like to. go through it again. I can only imagine what it must be like searching parts for rare cars, not zed cars that 1000's were produced.

• Administrators

I can obtain OEM 5 speed gear knobs. Along with almost any other part. It is just the price.

Be prepared to pay $300+ for a 5 speed gear knob in NOS condition.

I should be able to get a picture of one of the reproductions one Taylor did. The one I have is not a true reflection of the others he had as I think it was one of the not so good ones that turned out so I need to clean it up again.

Taylor its good to see everything is going well over in Canada and when you get back here I will have to come around and see you again. The skyline might be sold by then and hopefully the +2 will be on the road.

• Administrators

http://page5.auctions.yahoo.co.jp/jp/auction/e159890846

Sold for 22,000 yen which is about $250 AU at today's rate (plus postage + broker fee) = closer to $300 AU.

And it looks a bit different to the earlier style ones that were thinner and the wood grain was different....

http://page5.auctions.yahoo.co.jp/jp/auction/e159890846

And it looks a bit different to the earlier style ones that were thinner and the wood grain was different....

The attached pic shows the differences in shape and wood grain that Gavin has mentioned - obviously the original knob is the one on the left.

The knob in the yahoo auction link in Gavin's reply looks like what is currently sold in the US as a 'genuine 240Z 4 speed shifter - but with a 5 speed pattern (as shown on the right in the pic).

The second attachment to this reply is a diagram I drew showing the dimensions of the original 240Z gear knobs. This was done using dimensions given to me by several members on the Classic Z car forum in 2012.

post-2526-144023804944_thumb.jpg

post-2526-14402380495_thumb.jpg

• Administrators

They are not bad alternatives.

I have already bought a 'genuine' 4 speed US version and a 5-speed reproduction knob from eBay which was made by C&G Woodcraft (Connecticut USA) and is shown below.

The obvious difference with the reproduction buttons is that the shift pattern buttons are only 2-dimensional.

In the original buttons the shift pattern and gear numbers had depth/height as you can see in the close up pic attached.

From what I have read and seen, the buttons that Taylor made (tailor-made buttons?  ;)) were moulded and therefore had depth. For this reason - I am keen to buy one of Taylor's if he ever makes more.

post-2526-144023804994_thumb.jpg

post-2526-144023805001_thumb.jpg