trucks v utes

• Moderators

Our American friends have called them Pick Ups and Trucks

Trucks are what we in Straya call Cab Chassis

Pick Ups are the full bodied versions.

Or so I am lead to believe.

PB

• Administrators

I really dislike the fact that everyone in Australia is buying SUVs, it's a farce. Most who buy them will never use them for their intended purpose, but people 'feel safe' driving them.

Watch from 6:50 in, on the emotions they play on to sell you such vehicles...

• Moderators

I really dislike the fact that everyone in Australia is buying SUVs, it's a farce. Most who buy them will never use them for their intended purpose, but people 'feel safe' driving them.

Very true Gav and to reinforce that consider this fact.

Some of the biggest selling SUV's in Aus achieve that volume through offering a 2wd variant and in many cases a front wheel drive.

A front wheel drive SUV with a full compliment of passengers (read Mum, Dad and a few kids) towing anything bigger than a box trailer is downright scary  :o

Humm. I thought a cab chassis option was just a modern thing to let the customer decide which option they would like (tub/flat tray). Most utes can have either can't they? Unbolt the tub, stick a tray on. I dunno tho. I'll stick with my D21 till it dies, which should be never.

A pick up or truck is a vehicle with a seperate passenger comppartment and load area, such as the jap/thai built dual and single cab units. Even the new Falcon "ute" is technically a truck or pick up as it has a seperate load carrying area to the body.

A utility or "utility coupe" as it was first known when Ford Australia first built it in 1934 thanks to Lew Bandt's design and from the famous farmer's wife letter, is a unibody vehicle, that may or may not be on a chassis, but basically the tray or load area is part of the body, ie can't change the back. The only true ute being built today is the Holden Commodore.

Basically, if you can unbolt and change the tray, it isn't a ute.

• Moderators

But wait there's more......While working in Mackay a long time ago , I was told to "jump in the tilly " to run and errand....had me bluffed for a while... it was just Falcon ute to me....

Rhyming slang - u TILI ty