From Kuala lumpur

Well best result is to get the dashboard re-skinned with matching pattern vinyl, I think some sort of vacuum machine is used. I don't know if there is a vinyl re-skin service in your area. Of course you have to pull the dash out & remove all the contents of it to have that done.

Or, you may be able to get a 'cap' which can be glued down over the top portion, I presume they are still available, someone on here will know. [i've seen one done so well it was hard to tell it was there, & another done so badly it was debatable whether it was actually an improvement].

Or, use a dash mat (trimmed carpet).

Or, some try to seal up the cracks with a black urethane or epoxy; doesn't disguise them much though.

From what I can your car looks RHD. So a USA supplier isn't going to be of help.

• Administrators

A few Dashboards in Japan.

http://page16.auctions.yahoo.co.jp/jp/auction/u80129426

http://page11.auctions.yahoo.co.jp/jp/auction/n144273905

http://page9.auctions.yahoo.co.jp/jp/auction/k186042637

If you don't have anyone that can do the vacuum formed vinyl cover I'd look at some of the threads on DIY dashboard repair.

http://www.viczcar.com/forum/index.php/topic,1618.0.html

• 2 months later...

locklock, on 21 Sept 2015 - 12:00 AM, said:snapback.png

How come some 240z has signal lights on the side of the headlights and some doesn't? My 71 240z doesn't have any..

As far as I know, Australian delivered 240Z's did not have blinkers/turn signal indicators in the front fenders. There have been a few possible exceptions to this.

I am not sure about 240Z's sold new in New Zealand - but there are examples of cars with and without the side blinkers on the Z Club of NZ web site.

This also seems to apply to some early NZ 260Z's;

... And then my NZ-new car (see avatar) doesn't have the repeaters in the guards, so different again!...

Maybe gilltech or one our New Zealand based members can tell us more. I am not aware of any Australian 260Z's that did not have these side blinkers.

In July you said this about your 240Z -

...240z was bought locally in malaysia. Previous 2 owner im the 3rd.n2nd owner owned it for 30 years++.
According to to car grant it says 1972, i read somewhere that cars build after august is considered next year. I guess thats why its says 1972 in the card.

Did you mean that you think it was sold in Malaysia as a new car?

If you are not sure, then maybe it is an Australian car.

Does it have an Australian compliance plate like the one in these 2 photos? (it might have been in a different location - it varied quite a lot)

post-101663-0-51541700-1442797679_thumb.jpg post-101663-0-44496600-1442806261_thumb.jpg

If not, does it have two rivet holes (in or close to, the positions shown by the red arrows) to suggest that it might have had an Australian compliance plate that was removed?

Edited by GongZ

Australian delivered 240z's didn't have the turn signals in the guards. It was introduced with the 260z's.

I agree Gavin - but I added "There have been a few possible exceptions to this." because of posts like -

...My Z is series 2 which came with the side/gaurd blinkers...

And I also know that the description 'series 2' is usually seen in relation to US cars, and is pretty much meaningless anyway.

There were so many subtle changes and so little documentation that a lot of things are very vague and open to mythification.

(Like '73 blinkers being under the bumper  ;D)

Another change that seems impossible to pin down, and has been discussed a few times, is when the hand throttle was discontinued.

Edited by GongZ