#61 Andrew_L26

Andrew_L26

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 389 posts
  • Tagline:That Purple Zed

Posted 26 July 2015 - 08:15 PM

I like the pic at the servo station.. 8)
Grab a can of wd40 and just spray the entire engine bay, dont hold back... the motor and bay resembles the gibson desert ! And start to replace all the rubber and original braided heater hoses etc.. Keep up the effort.

Will do but first it's degreasing time! Hopefully I will get time this week to foam the entire engine and make it all clean, this will also make it easier to tell how much/where the oil is weeping from. Looking forward to that clean rocker cover  8)
  • Andrew_L26 likes this

#62 gav240z

gav240z

Administrator

• Administrators
  • 12,395 posts
  • Tagline:Jack of all trades, master of none.

Posted 26 July 2015 - 08:29 PM

Ok hopefully more space is available on the server. I'm not sure why we suddenly were showing a large disk space usage. I recently increased the photo sizes and attachment allowances but unless people have uploaded lots of new content I'm not aware of I'm not sure why we suddenly used a lot of space.
  • Andrew_L26 likes this

#63 Andrew_L26

Andrew_L26

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 389 posts

Posted 26 July 2015 - 08:33 PM

Ok hopefully more space is available on the server. I'm not sure why we suddenly were showing a large disk space usage. I recently increased the photo sizes and attachment allowances but unless people have uploaded lots of new content I'm not aware of I'm not sure why we suddenly used a lot of space.

Thanks Gav, everything seems to be working great.

#64 Andrew_L26

Andrew_L26

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 389 posts

Posted 26 July 2015 - 08:42 PM

One last thing, I've bought a factory S30 service manual (Nissan dealership) online and I was wondering if there would be much interest on a huge pdf of the complete manual. It would be painstaking to put it together but if there is enough interest I'm willing to put something together.

#65 gav240z

gav240z

Administrator

• Administrators
  • 12,395 posts

Posted 26 July 2015 - 09:06 PM

Thanks Gav, everything seems to be working great.

Last thread hijack, but as an FYI: Just sent an email to the web host about upgrading our hosting package. They sent out a promo last month and I had intended to get in contact. Anyway I'm asking a few questions, I believe it should have more space, double-CPU power and a whole host other benefits but it will cost a little more each month...

So looking into it.
  • casho likes this

#66 Andrew_L26

Andrew_L26

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 389 posts

Posted 26 July 2015 - 09:08 PM

Last thread hijack, but as an FYI: Just sent an email to the web host about upgrading our hosting package. They sent out a promo last month and I had intended to get in contact. Anyway I'm asking a few questions, I believe it should have more space, double-CPU power and a whole host other benefits but it will cost a little more each month...

So looking into it.

Well I will defiantly be donating as soon as my next pay comes in!
#pleblife

I think that would be good getting a bit of an upgrade. Maybe we could even have some sort of updated photo management.
If you ever need a hand with anything I'm more then willing to help out.

#67 GongZ

GongZ

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 811 posts
  • Tagline:Watanabe wannabe

Posted 26 July 2015 - 09:11 PM

So everything is more or less back together ...

Anyways, here are some photos!
(Anyone know what those fuse like wires are in the plastic containers (last image)

There are many more photos in my google drive album, I find it much easier to upload them there.
https://drive.google...aGdoWmw5QzNKNlU

Hi Andrew, the 'fuse like wires' are in fact the fusible links, i.e. big fuses.

Have a look at this topic for some good information;
http://www.viczcar.c...p?topic=10463.0

And here is the Z Store's "Fusible Links & Covers" parts page;
http://www.thezstore...GY/classic10a05

#68 Andrew_L26

Andrew_L26

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 389 posts

Posted 26 July 2015 - 09:17 PM

Hi Andrew, the 'fuse like wires' are in fact the fusible links, i.e. big fuses.

Have a look at this topic for some good information;
http://www.viczcar.c...p?topic=10463.0

And here is the Z Store's "Fusible Links & Covers" parts page;
http://www.thezstore...GY/classic10a05

I have been looking for these covers not knowing what to search for, thanks!

#69 Andrew_L26

Andrew_L26

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 389 posts

Posted 27 July 2015 - 08:50 PM

Hi all, with my recent run and the general condition of the bushings (all around) I have decided to replace them, I've been looking around and I can't really find any suggestions wether urethane or rubber bushings would be more appropriate. To my knowledge rubber ones give a smother ride with more play in the whole system and urethane ones give a stiffer ride with more feedback and generally more responsive.

#70 GongZ

GongZ

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 811 posts
  • Tagline:Watanabe wannabe

Posted 27 July 2015 - 10:01 PM

I followed this advice;

If you are replacing bushings here is a fairly recent quote for the superpro parts from them (not labor):
http://www.viczcar.c...p?topic=10883.0

A few people on the forum, mainly Lurch, seem to recommend SuperPro bushes. I remember reading on their website something about them doing extensive testing with the durability of them. If you believe most of what you read on the internet, most poly bushes tend to loose sharp or deteriorate quite quickly and the belief is that SuperPro may be a better quality.

The cheap poly bushes in my 240z are rooted and they were replaced 10 years ago. May sound like a long time but it only did about 8000 mile in 7 of those years. I'm going to replace everything I can with SuperPro and then do the rest with the cheap American stuff.

From memory, the Superpro bushes are harder than rubber, but have a bit more give than other brands of urethane bushes.

The other thing to mention is that Superpro bushes are purple !!

Edit - just saw this subsequent topic (260Z 2+2 Bush kit - Help by d3n1s) where PB260Z has posted a link to the list of 260Z Superpro bushes;

Have you looked into Superpro ?

http://www.superpro....-/cid-999500808

#71 Andrew_L26

Andrew_L26

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 389 posts

Posted 18 August 2015 - 07:13 PM

So not a hell of a lot has happened since my last update however I started my first bit of body work (sort of)
As many of you were aware this car came with a simply tragic spoiler and it had been crudely screwed onto the rear hatch, these holes had begun to lightly rust (nothing too bad but needed to be dealt with, so I began to take up the paint surrounding them only to find around 1mm of bog  :o so I took some bog out, then more, then more and more. I was so ridiculously worried but I couldn't stop. Anyway, it turns out that the de-badging was not done well to say the least, it appears that someone has plug welded the holes over however not grinded back the welds and instead just built bog up around it. So after that ordeal I'm left with this decent sized patch of bare metal, currently it is covered in duck tape but that will soon change! I have decided to roughly paint some primer on it then vinyl wrap the car! I have got a 10X1.5 M roll of matte(ish) silver wrap here waiting to go on, this is only cheap stuff and may damage the paint, I'm not too worried about this because I've decided to sand back any rust bubbles, prime them and wrap over it, this way I can stop any rust in its tracks without starting a massive overhaul on the body work, before I paint and wrap the rear hatch (and maybe fenders) I would love to drill out the plug welds so I can attach the badges. If anyone happens to have the measurements of where these holes are that would be a godsend  ;D

I also went into a brake shop today to see if I could order new break drums, apparently there are only 4 left in Australia and they cost $174 EACH! plus $25 freight EACH! so I have decided to look around for a cheaper deal. I assume these may have been OEM ones and thats why they are so expensive. Also got the headlights working properly after re-wiring and fitting some new plugs (thank-you Factory Service Manual  :) )  Engine bay has been degreased and looks mint, turns out that I have a slight oil leak from the rocker cover gasket and I plan on replacing that gasket pretty soon. I managed to get the heater working fairly well after flushing the heater core, greasing the tap and sort of fixing the vacuums lines, If anyone has a diagram of how that all fits together that would be amazing. The rims have been mostly stripped as I couldn't stand them having purple accents!

Anyways looks like we might be going back to "The Questionably Purple 260z"  ;)

Oh and thanks to the thread "you can fix your 260Z clock" in the interior section I now have a functioning clock, I am still adjusting it slightly but all it needed was new caps!

Enjoy these photos, I have since fixed up the back seat (with some neat work with vinyl tape)

As always high res photos are available in my google drive
https://drive.google...aGdoWmw5QzNKNlU

Attached Thumbnails

• 48177_f2a19a9b4ad7fcdeb3f6cb7f362f72f0c9d371a6.jpg
  • 48175_a0068fdcd9e7eb4a03e0f166380b9d5ef400df8f.jpg

#72 gav240z

gav240z

Administrator

• Administrators
  • 12,395 posts

Posted 18 August 2015 - 07:32 PM

Oh and thanks to the thread "you can fix your 260Z clock" in the interior section I now have a functioning clock, I am still adjusting it slightly but all it needed was new caps!

Well done, nothing quite like fixing something yourself hey?

#73 Andrew_L26

Andrew_L26

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 389 posts

Posted 18 August 2015 - 08:18 PM

Well done, nothing quite like fixing something yourself hey?

Defiantly not, so much more satisfying then sending it off, most likely seriously injuring my wallet. It only cost me about 80c!

#74 Andrew_L26

Andrew_L26

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 389 posts

Posted 23 August 2015 - 09:29 PM

This weekend I wrapped the bonnet, it was half for practice so I will probably re-do it some time now that I know what to do.

Next week is the dreaded hatch.

Also the new image uploader, I'm in love *_*

Attached Thumbnails

• IMG_20150822_161649.jpg

Edited by Andrew_L26, 23 August 2015 - 09:31 PM.

• casho likes this

#75 PB260Z

PB260Z

Peter (PB)

• Moderators
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 3,237 posts
  • Tagline:Must stop buying new toys for the workshop.

Posted 23 August 2015 - 10:52 PM

Gidday,

Looks like a good result, how hard was it to shrink the wrap around the bonnet bulge ?

Cheers

PB

#76 Andrew_L26

Andrew_L26

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 389 posts

Posted 23 August 2015 - 11:00 PM

Gidday,

Looks like a good result, how hard was it to shrink the wrap around the bonnet bulge ?

Cheers

PB

It was fairly easy, the stuff is just like a huge sticker so you just put it on with a squeegee and some heat from a heatgun or hairdryer (which allows it to be stretched easily then re-heated to shrink back again)

Loving the member status of "Peter" by the way  ;)

#77 Andrew_L26

Andrew_L26

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 389 posts

Posted 06 September 2015 - 12:37 AM

So today was a day of much progress and rust removal (sort of)

As many of you know my plan is to wrap the car so that I can utterly destroy the paintwork underneath by which I mean get every little bubble out and put some primer on it. That stage has started and been nearly finished today. The first thing to do was get rid of the rust bubbles on the drivers side rear window. That just required some sanding, rust converter then primer. Now the upper hatch sill...... I have been scared of it since I first inspected the car and always knew it would be an issue. Anyways, I removed the rear hatch and got to digging away at the bog. It wasn't too bad however I know that there is probably some issues under the roof around the frame. There are a few rust holes here and there however these are going to be plugged with silicone and wrapped over until it is time for a proper respray. My process for all this was Bog removal>Wire Brushing and sanding off loose Rust>Rust converter>Primer and that is all that I am going to do at the moment. Next weekend the holes will probably be plugged up with silicone ready for wrapping. I am thinking that I will put some bags of rice or Silica (the stuff that removes moisture from food) in the holes where the hatch hinges go and up behind the interior light in an attempt to get rid of moisture. I also intend on essentially filling the entire area with fish oil and or WD-40. Maybe I will get some spray on rust converter and see if I can get that up in there.

Must say that rust converter is incredible, it gives the metal or what's left of it so much more strength as well as stopping rust. Also, the car gave birth to a large spider with a solid 15cm span!

Try to enjoy these photos

Must say the 15mb upload limit is a godsend, now I don't have to manually compress everything beforehand! Thank-you Gav!!!!!

IMG_20150905_112132.jpg
IMG_20150905_112138.jpg
IMG_20150905_112142.jpg
IMG_20150905_141753.jpg
IMG_20150905_141756.jpg
IMG_20150905_141800.jpg

IMG_20150905_122124.jpg

IMG_20150905_163027.jpg

IMG_20150905_163033.jpg

IMG_20150905_163039.jpg

IMG_20150905_163044.jpg

IMG_20150905_163052.jpg

IMG_20150905_163055.jpg

IMG_20150905_163138.jpg

IMG_20150905_163144.jpg

IMG_20150905_163153.jpg

#78 blu260z

blu260z

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 269 posts

Posted 06 September 2015 - 08:20 AM

Andrew what are you going to do about the purple inside the doors and engine bay when you wrap it ?

#79 Andrew_L26

Andrew_L26

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 389 posts

Posted 06 September 2015 - 09:22 AM

Andrew what are you going to do about the purple inside the doors and engine bay when you wrap it ?

I'm most likely just going to wrap it around inside the door jambs and the engine bay will just be left black with the wrap coming around the fenders which I will probably take off to wrap.

#80 PB260Z

PB260Z

Peter (PB)

• Moderators
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 3,237 posts
  • Tagline:Must stop buying new toys for the workshop.

Posted 06 September 2015 - 11:48 AM

Hi Mate

Spotted this on ebay

http://www.ebay.com....=item3d029079ca

Attached Thumbnails

• image.jpg

• gav240z and Andrew_L26 like this

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users