So not a hell of a lot has happened since my last update however I started my first bit of body work (sort of)
As many of you were aware this car came with a simply tragic spoiler and it had been crudely screwed onto the rear hatch, these holes had begun to lightly rust (nothing too bad but needed to be dealt with, so I began to take up the paint surrounding them only to find around 1mm of bog
so I took some bog out, then more, then more and more. I was so ridiculously worried but I couldn't stop. Anyway, it turns out that the de-badging was not done well to say the least, it appears that someone has plug welded the holes over however not grinded back the welds and instead just built bog up around it. So after that ordeal I'm left with this decent sized patch of bare metal, currently it is covered in duck tape but that will soon change! I have decided to roughly paint some primer on it then vinyl wrap the car! I have got a 10X1.5 M roll of matte(ish) silver wrap here waiting to go on, this is only cheap stuff and may damage the paint, I'm not too worried about this because I've decided to sand back any rust bubbles, prime them and wrap over it, this way I can stop any rust in its tracks without starting a massive overhaul on the body work, before I paint and wrap the rear hatch (and maybe fenders) I would love to drill out the plug welds so I can attach the badges. If anyone happens to have the measurements of where these holes are that would be a godsend
I also went into a brake shop today to see if I could order new break drums, apparently there are only 4 left in Australia and they cost $174 EACH! plus $25 freight EACH! so I have decided to look around for a cheaper deal. I assume these may have been OEM ones and thats why they are so expensive. Also got the headlights working properly after re-wiring and fitting some new plugs (thank-you Factory Service Manual
) Engine bay has been degreased and looks mint, turns out that I have a slight oil leak from the rocker cover gasket and I plan on replacing that gasket pretty soon. I managed to get the heater working fairly well after flushing the heater core, greasing the tap and sort of fixing the vacuums lines, If anyone has a diagram of how that all fits together that would be amazing. The rims have been mostly stripped as I couldn't stand them having purple accents!
Anyways looks like we might be going back to "The Questionably Purple 260z"
Oh and thanks to the thread "you can fix your 260Z clock" in the interior section I now have a functioning clock, I am still adjusting it slightly but all it needed was new caps!
Enjoy these photos, I have since fixed up the back seat (with some neat work with vinyl tape)
As always high res photos are available in my google drivehttps://drive.google...aGdoWmw5QzNKNlU