SU Reconditioning Australia

RAP260

Hi all ,

A question posted by Oldmates260 has prompted me to enquire about available SU rebuilding services in Australia.

I'm looking for info from anyone who has used an Australian company to rebuild/restore their SU's.

While Z Therapy is very appealing , the Australian dollar makes it a very expensive exercise. Midel Pty appear in searches , but has anyone used them for their zed ?

Any feedback would be greatly appreciated.

Cheers ,

Robert

I think this is the guy who has been recommended to me by a number or people as being a very good su rebuilder/tuner. Not sure on prices. Only 2 mechanics mentioned to me in Tassie as being such gurus and I'm pretty sure this is one (claims of being able to just plug carbs back on and require no tuning from a couple of people).

http://www.gumtree.com.au/s-ad/invermay/automotive/pro-carb-tasmania/1005355966

https://m.facebook.com/pages/Pro-Carb-Tasmania/255282818003372

The one I mentioned your looking at anywhere up to about $280 per carb depending on what's wrong (butterflies/shafts/kit only).

Also has stopped getting them set for the car, too much work for the price.

Was checking out his Facebook page , nice work , impressed. Fair price.

Any connection with Pro-carb Australia ?

Ah not to my knowledge. He was great to deal with earlier when I rang him. Very helpful for my own su questions. For needle issues I still think the wogsrus post with the google doc is the best ('help identify my/these carbs' thread)

I did a fair bit of research and went with the Z Therapy fully manufactured SU's which includes the roller bearing throttle shafts.

Apart from looking great ,combined with some headwork I am extremely satisfied with the end result.

Cost is definately a factor ,but at the end of day I wasn't going to save much locally and was intent on the best possible outcome.

post-2008-144023799371_thumb.jpg

• Administrators

What's the size of the SU throttle shaft? I have needle roller bearings on my FCR's that have a seal on the outer edge to stop air leaks. Perhaps they could be a drop in replacement. I can measure them if anyone wants.

Please do, I want to do this mod.

Hey mate give Bob at CF performance a call here in Toowoomba - (07) 4633 3400

He did some work on my carbies (replacing parts and jets) and tuned them so he might be worth a shot

Cheer

Matty

Hey Matt , didn't realise there was anyone locally who would be interested in SU's. Cheers.

yeah he should be able to play with the SU's but like i said he had done my dellortos and has tuned my mates weber on his Moke too. but doesnt hurt to give him a call and find out

5/16th I.D. Is 8mm which is the same shaft size as the FCR needle rollers.

I'll take some pictures, get part numbers and measurements tonight.

Unfortunately I can't provide any accurate measurements. This is the best I could do. I get about 10mm OD.

post-6322-144023799374_thumb.jpg

post-6322-144023799379_thumb.jpg

Did you just get the carbs done ? , or did you get the intake and heat sheild done as well ?

Thanks . No I did the intake manifold and heat shield with a Dremel and then plenty of Autosol. Had the rocker and timing covers professionally polished , thermatstat housing and headers HPC coated. Many other pieces where either gold zinc coated or chromed.

Ok so the SU shaft is 10mm then. Perhaps the SU size will be the next bearing up in this range?

I purchased spares for my setup through SKF bearings.

Specs are:

I.D 8mm

O.D 12mm

Length 9.89mm

They have about ten needle rollers and the pinkish bit is the shaft seal. It's only on one side of the bearing.

post-1489-144023799384_thumb.jpg

post-1489-144023799398_thumb.jpg

post-1489-144023799414_thumb.jpg

post-1489-144023799426_thumb.jpg

post-1489-14402379944_thumb.jpg

post-1489-144023799454_thumb.jpg

The seal is not very substantial, so I'm not sure if it will be good enough for the SU's. The FCR throttle shaft is at the top of the carb. They can be tuned with the carb body top removed without drawing air in and running crap.

Perhaps an extra felt seal fitted before the roller bearing is pressed in for extra insurance?