#161 potter260

potter260

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 229 posts
  • Tagline:Currently enjoying the journey, not yet at the destination

Posted 07 July 2017 - 04:30 AM

Honestly I'm a little disappointed that Zs have increased so much in value. When I purchased mine in 2002, it was $1500 a good first car. Even though I've never driven it, I had hopes. It was embarrassing at school all my friends thought it was ugly. Fast forward 8yrs I do a bit more work to it spend way more than it was worth on paint, panel and parts. I planned on keeping it forever. Now Values are closer to what I've spent over the years (minus labour) Its a lot of money sitting there that I consider selling it when its finished to pay I good chunk off the house. It also makes you rethink your plans and direction of the restoration. But hopefully once its registered I decide its to good to sell and would always regret it. 

But if prices stayed low I would never consider selling it!

Edited by potter260, 07 July 2017 - 04:32 AM.

#162 gilltech

gilltech

The 1000+ club

• Donating Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 1,081 posts

Posted 08 July 2017 - 08:23 AM

Conversely, IMO you shouldn't think negatively. By the sound of it you've spent money on your car in dribs and drabs - when you could have been spending it just to piss up against the wall - and by now after 15 years you now have accumulated something of real value. So it's been a sort of savings scheme if you like.

Once your car is registered on the road it will have increased in value some more compared to an incomplete project car which isn't usable and just a pile of parts. So all good. One can own things of value other than houses. And the reality is that your Datsun Zed in recent years has most probably increased in value well in excess of any other 'investment'. And you've had 15 years of an enjoyable hobby project which you are determined to see through to completion. Plenty of people just get bogged down and give up, hence why there are always project cars popping up for sale. IMO you should be pleased with yourself! Enjoy!

• gav240z likes this

#163 gav240z

gav240z

Administrator

• Administrators
  • 12,399 posts
  • Tagline:Jack of all trades, master of none.

Posted 08 July 2017 - 11:22 AM

#164 aircobra

aircobra

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 650 posts
  • Tagline:New Member

Posted 09 July 2017 - 10:37 PM

must be one-off. usually see them in the 5-8k region, aint that good a car

#165 locklock

locklock

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 208 posts

Posted 26 July 2017 - 04:39 PM

www.independent.co.uk/news/uk/home-news/uk-petrol-diesel-ban-cars-vehicles-britain-sales-fuels-fossil-government-a7860181.html?cmpid=facebook-post

Uk to ban petrol and diesel cars.. so what will happen to the classic over in the region? Fire sale or Higher value? Petrol station will go out of business, buying fuel most likely in form of tin can from supermarkets maybe?

#166 PZG302

PZG302

The 1000+ club

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 1,751 posts

Posted 26 July 2017 - 06:07 PM

Yeah, nah, that won't happen.

The diesel ban will be a very conditional one and will get some headlines and then disappear quietly to never be talked of again.

It would have been one of many strategies that were tossed around, and may be announced.

There is no way that England will have an alternative energy source and infrastructure in place within 23 years to replace the vehicles that use diesel. Particularly for heavy transport. Even rail uses diesel still for freight over there.

I don't think that there is anything to worry about in our lifetimes regarding the availability of petroleum based fuels.

• 260DET and zed74 like this

#167 gav240z

gav240z

Administrator

• Administrators
  • 12,399 posts

Posted 14 August 2017 - 08:30 AM

Toyota Supra $60k USD or close enough.
http://jalopnik.com/...orth-1797769835

#168 gav240z

gav240z

Administrator

• Administrators
  • 12,399 posts

Posted 18 August 2017 - 06:40 PM

So what's the top end of the market up to?
https://www.bloomber...ferrari-mclaren

#169 AndBir

AndBir

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 238 posts

Posted 29 August 2017 - 04:27 PM

A brief mention of Japanese cars:

IMG_4602.JPG

Should help if approvals for further "investment" are required from SWMBO 

• gav240z likes this

#170 gav240z

gav240z

Administrator

• Administrators
  • 12,399 posts

Posted 03 September 2017 - 09:52 PM

Real Estate is for losers :D

The market that has grown four times faster than property: classic cars

https://www.domain.c...0170824-gxxg90/

#171 AK

AK

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 96 posts
  • Tagline:New Member - AK

Posted 07 September 2017 - 08:42 AM

Lots of great input here from everyone - just level of discussion itself is enough to show that the bubble and demand is far from finished.

Things like Electric Cars are more likely to shake up the market place - whether that makes fossil fuel burners even more lusted after will be interesting - I would be surprised if the value will slow

It likely that 70's classic cars will be the pic because you have performance and bare bones character - I dont really understand the wooden wheel vintage car fascination apart from the historical master piece value, but from a driving point of view it still going to have that motorized horse and buggy feel and look - 80s on wards the refinements start water down the feel raw feel of what the car is and whats its doing and how its doing it !

Its all in the eye of the beholder to a fair degree - but no doubt the 70s Z Cars are Raw, Beautiful, Fun to Drive and have great Balance - That thins the herd a lot.

100k is could be achievable in a healthy economy no doubt and even then it will still be a far better car than some other cars that now sell for more take a look at the localized example of some of Holden Torana's Ford Falcons - Iconic raw cars no doubt but not in the same league as far being a vehicle with real Sporting Looks and Ability.

• 260DET likes this

#172 aircobra

aircobra

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 650 posts

Posted 07 September 2017 - 08:13 PM

one shouldn;t compare once off pristine examples with the "average" price.

even a ser 1 celica, which was never a great car would pull 20k if it was immaculate

in regard to the Rx7 thread, still don't see the appeal. only thing that would prop them up is the lack of supply.

certainly not valuable in the US, which is the trend-setter for all cars collectable.

what i find interesting is that it seems probable that if 240 had a bigger engine, even the 2.8, with one more carb, it would be worth double now.

It would have made the car actually competitive against the 911 and the e-type. 

however, one of the reasons for the car's success was the cheapness, which, in turn could only be possible with engine sharing (ala Jaguar) with the large saloon and SUVs.

#173 aircobra

aircobra

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 650 posts

Posted 07 September 2017 - 08:24 PM

early 70s 240 would out of puff by the time 911 2.4 injected version hit the street

#174 gav240z

gav240z

Administrator

• Administrators
  • 12,399 posts

Posted 14 September 2017 - 11:58 PM

https://www.tradeuni...rana-a9x-review

Interesting how values were higher in 2008 for these... I guess air can be pulled out of bubbles.

#175 Brabham

Brabham

The 1000+ club

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 1,028 posts

Posted 15 September 2017 - 05:08 PM

Demand is probably falling as the people who grew up with these cars are getting too old to drive/are no longer around. Probably why more modern stuff like R32GTRs are going up now as those who grew up with them in the 90 ' s can now afford them. I would still love an A9X though.

Edited by Brabham, 15 September 2017 - 05:10 PM.

#176 gilltech

gilltech

The 1000+ club

• Donating Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 1,081 posts

Posted 15 September 2017 - 05:19 PM

Demand is probably falling as the people who grew up with these cars are getting too old to drive/are no longer around.

Maybe true in part, although many of us are only in our sixties (!!!) (not quite dead yet). I think the effects of the GFC are still being felt by many people, myself included; after a rough time during the GFC I'm more cautious now money-wise than before so prefer to play with less expensive toys.

#177 gav240z

gav240z

Administrator

• Administrators
  • 12,399 posts

Posted 18 September 2017 - 11:17 AM

This is a really long presentation but in the context of EV disruption I wonder what will happen to the humble gasoline car?

I wonder if there will be a drop in Interest, sort of like when records were replaced by CD players, but then Records came back as a sort of audiophile interest with a niche market that still prefers it over CD/Digital?

#178 andyk_79

andyk_79

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 612 posts
  • Website:http://www.viczcar.com/forum/topic/12055-andrews-1972-240/
  • Tagline:Useless Pest asking clueless questions

Posted 18 September 2017 - 12:59 PM

This is an interesting one.  I went to a big machinery show at the weekend and marvelled at some of the steam powered machinery still out there that people have put a massive amount of effort into maintaining and restoring.  I suspect though that the still functioning steam powered stuff out there is a ridiculously tiny percentage of what may have existed when steam was king. Steam is probably the closest parallel we can draw with one important difference - as far as I know steam disappeared WITHOUT legislation that mean it could no longer be used (economics, efficiency and output were the big drivers).  The petrol engine is likely to be legislated out of existence.  The worst polluting petrol cars (ie with older style engines) I think will likely be the first targetted, with heavy restrictions placed on their use.  Ultimately when petrol is phased out altogether classic car owners at the time will have the choice of either converting their car to an EV, keeping the petrol engine and having sever usage restrictions, or consign their car to being a museum piece.

This final end state is still a long way off but the signals coming from a lot of countries on new vehicle manufacturing legislation (and from manufacturers themselves) suggest that we are in the unique position of witnessing the start of a massive shift.  Think steam to internal combustion, horse to motor car etc.

Couple this with driverless technology advances and the change will be substantial !  Not sure if there would be a vinyl record like re-surgence with those factors in.

#179 gav240z

gav240z

Administrator

• Administrators
  • 12,399 posts

Posted 18 September 2017 - 02:35 PM

Steam is probably the closest parallel we can draw with one important difference - as far as I know steam disappeared WITHOUT legislation that mean it could no longer be used (economics, efficiency and output were the big drivers).  The petrol engine is likely to be legislated out of existence.  The worst polluting petrol cars (ie with older style engines) I think will likely be the first targetted, with heavy restrictions placed on their use.  Ultimately when petrol is phased out altogether classic car owners at the time will have the choice of either converting their car to an EV, keeping the petrol engine and having sever usage restrictions, or consign their car to being a museum piece.

What is interesting though if you watch the full presentation is that I don't think it will even take legislation to convince people to move away from Internal Combustion Engines, it will happen through sheer economics. The average running cost of an ICE based car is around $10k per year. Where as the biggest cost associated with an EV is the cost of tyres and in most cases you replace them every 5 years or so.

He also discusses solar panels, battery storage etc.. and how that will undermine typical power supply etc..

I think the market for classic cars in future will be either a carbon based credit scheme or limited usage like historic plates are now OR you'll see owners convert to EV. In fact in the presentation he shows how an engineer in San Francisco was able to convert his own vehicle to self driving and actually made software open source to allow others to do the same.

Therefore I see a time where engine swaps will be all about EV conversion and self driving and less so about fuel injection, big turbo's etc..

#180 potter260

potter260

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 229 posts
  • Tagline:Currently enjoying the journey, not yet at the destination

Posted 18 September 2017 - 04:12 PM

http://www.speedhunt...esto-blasphemy/

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users