#21 260DET

260DET

The 2000+ club

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 2,401 posts
  • Tagline:Tribal Elder

Posted 19 June 2015 - 11:41 AM

To each their own but I can't see that a E30 would be 'tinker proof' and they are not exactly cheap either are they. More civilised than a rorty S30 though.

#22 hmd

hmd

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 333 posts

Posted 19 June 2015 - 11:43 AM

yep definitely old cars = simplicity

+1

the prospect of kids in the near future

if you think owning classic cars is expensive, wait till you have kids :)

if i had say 15-20 grand i'd get everything done the way i want- one hit and then enjoy it for many years but continual tinkering means i cant enjoy it like i would like:)

Personally I go through cycle of wanting to have something to tinker with and wanting a finished product.

#23 74zzz

74zzz

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 546 posts

Posted 19 June 2015 - 12:26 PM

well you see, I have some newly established bargaining power with the mrs as she just invested in bolt-ons..........soooo...........I think this allows me to spend equally as much on bolt-ons for the zed haha....... 

#24 positivetennis

positivetennis

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 115 posts
  • Tagline:New Member

Posted 05 July 2015 - 05:28 PM

My thoughts about this topic is this. Everyone has a threshold of what they are prepared to pay for things based on how they value money. For me, due to how much I earn and how I value this money I earn, there is a limit to how much I am prepared to pay for a 240z/260z coupe. As much as I love these cars, once the price goes over 20k I start to question whether I'm doing the right thing. Firstly there is the thought in my mind that paying over 20k is a lot of money, especially with a car this old, with  rust, fumes and constant repairs and safety issues. You also start to question the  comparable factors. There are a lot of cars you can buy in the $20k-$40K  mark that may make more sense. I know that I should have bought one of these when they were under 20k. In the late 80's you could get a nice 240z for $5000 and that is what I should have done. When I see one now where the asking price is $50k I'm not interested. That's a good deposit on a rental property. Maybe the 280zx is the value buy right now.
Also as Gav was talking about Sydney real estate, with prices now in stratosphere territory many people are being locked out of the market, lot of it in my area due to overseas buyers who have heaps of cash. A house for over 1.2m in the Hills District of Sydney means you may never own it unless you came into inheritance or you are on to your 3rd house, so you start to look at regional areas, the outskirts and other cities which many are now doing provided the economy is strong enough to support jobs.
The generational factor is also important as well as the prestige element. MGB's with an asking price in the 20k-30k mark are not selling that well as younger folk will probably buy an MX5. The E type is seen as a top end car and will still appeal to many people especially with its styling and leather interior, it still looks classy today. The younger generation are also a lot more expecting of features that allow them to be carefree. They like modern performance, braking, handling and comfort and reliability.
I think at present the 90's Japanese sports cars as classic cars are making a lot of sense as this decade saw a huge improvement in quality, safety and performance albeit complexity. As current options, the Toyota 86/Subaru BRZ is a good option.

#25 gav240z

gav240z

Administrator

• Administrators
  • 13,249 posts
  • Tagline:Jack of all trades, master of none.

Posted 05 July 2015 - 07:17 PM

This car must make your head spin then PositiveTennis?

http://www.hemmings....0z/1751879.html

$60K for a rough looking 240z.

#26 positivetennis

positivetennis

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 115 posts

Posted 06 July 2015 - 01:46 PM

This car must make your head spin then PositiveTennis?

http://www.hemmings....0z/1751879.html

$60K for a rough looking 240z.

Yes, 60k can buy a lot of things including an XK 8, NSX E Type and a deposit on an investment property. There are many in the US under 10k which is value.

#27 locklock

locklock

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 226 posts

Posted 06 July 2015 - 02:19 PM

http://www.cnbc.com/id/102236877

Cnbc report on most collectible investments.

#28 WA240Z

WA240Z

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 215 posts

Posted 06 July 2015 - 04:50 PM

"$60K for a rough looking 240z"

I think the seller has added an extra zero there by mistake.  :)

"In the late 80's you could get a nice 240z for $5000"

My '73 240Z was purchased for about $11,000 in 1989. It was in pretty much show condition at the time and one owner.

#29 dat240z

dat240z

The 1000+ club

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 1,126 posts
  • Tagline:RB25det powered 240z - willwoods - coils - engineered

Posted 06 July 2015 - 05:19 PM

My '73 240Z was purchased for about $11,000 in 1989. It was in pretty much show condition at the time and one owner.

True, but the ratios are consistent today.

For example, late 80s average house price roughly $100k (depending on area), clean/tidy z up tp $10k

2015 ave house prices - $500k, clean tidy z's going for easy $50k...

ratios are still intact.

My prediction - z's , particularly 240's will continue to appreciate.

#30 gav240z

gav240z

Administrator

• Administrators
  • 13,249 posts

Posted 06 July 2015 - 05:42 PM

I asked him if the price was legit, he confirmed it was correct. I wish him good luck.

For example, late 80s average house price roughly $100k (depending on area), clean/tidy z up tp $10k

ratios are still intact.

Yes I think 240z's are going to go up in value over the next couple of years, my prediction is that they may even double....Which is scary to think about. All driven by a crazy collector car market. All I can hope for is the fed will hike interest rates, the cheap money tap will stop flowing, house prices will return to a sane level along with classic cars.

#31 gav240z

gav240z

Administrator

• Administrators
  • 13,249 posts

Posted 06 July 2015 - 05:51 PM

By the way found this the other day, seems to be 1 of the better guides out there at the moment on buying an S30z.

http://www.tradeuniq...260z-(1970-1975)-buyers-guide/

Articles like that really talk about the S30z in an upbeat fashion and I guess will attract more and more people toward the marque.

Interesting they were more expensive than a GTHO Falcon...Of course released a couple of years later though.

#32 dat240z

dat240z

The 1000+ club

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 1,126 posts
  • Tagline:RB25det powered 240z - willwoods - coils - engineered

Posted 06 July 2015 - 05:53 PM

Yeahhhh.....nah mate. Maybe a small correction in cities like Sydney or Melbourne, but by international standards these places arent in the same league as Paris/London/New York/Singapore etc in terms of $$$ per sqm. My opinion is that there is still a little height before it hits the ceiling. In addition, our wages are some of the highest in the world, if not the highest.

My advice is dont wait for the prices to drop, otherwise in another 10yrs when youve decided to bite the bullet and purchase, youll be paying an additional premium. The best time to buy is always as soon as you can get into the market.

If you have an option to move home, a first home buyer investment is a great way to play catch up. Rent income + mortgage payments will put a decent dent into it....

#33 gav240z

gav240z

Administrator

• Administrators
  • 13,249 posts

Posted 06 July 2015 - 06:21 PM

I don't want to derail this post since it's talking about a classic car bubble (not real estate) but I do believe both are connected.

I've already destroyed the FDRX7.com forums with my talk of a housing bubble. haha.

#34 chris240

chris240

The 2000+ club

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 2,208 posts
  • Tagline:When in doubt...mumble.

Posted 06 July 2015 - 06:32 PM

Jeez, you blokes must be real estate agents !

#35 dat2kman

dat2kman

The 2000+ club

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 4,136 posts
  • Tagline:going sailing, see ya later!

Posted 06 July 2015 - 06:47 PM

Welcome to 2015
Once the few remaining decent reconditioned, or vg examples of 240Z's dry up, as they are doing right now,
Watch the prices of good cond 260Z 2 seaters start to skyrocket.

Supply vs demand.
Buy up as many 260Z's as you can, and stop being so niicky about minor naccuracies.

#36 locklock

locklock

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 226 posts

Posted 06 July 2015 - 06:50 PM

SorRy abit off topic. Do anyone know where or how can i get a valuation of a car?
I have a 1972 mitsubishi galant gto. No one is selling, i cant get a benchmark pricing and i would like to know how much its roughly worth now...

#37 PB260Z

PB260Z

Peter (PB)

• Moderators
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 3,324 posts
  • Tagline:Must stop buying new toys for the workshop.

Posted 06 July 2015 - 07:50 PM

ratios are still intact.

Great point - Unless you live in Shitney, ave house price is now around $800K 😞
But Z's seem to be pretty much even across the eastern states 😄

#38 gav240z

gav240z

Administrator

• Administrators
  • 13,249 posts

Posted 06 July 2015 - 08:48 PM

SorRy abit off topic. Do anyone know where or how can i get a valuation of a car?
I have a 1972 mitsubishi galant gto. No one is selling, i cant get a benchmark pricing and i would like to know how much its roughly worth now...

How about this?
http://www.goo-net-e...car_cd=10401507

As always depends on condition and what someone is willing to spend, that's why an auction with a set reserve is always a good idea.

Looks like good examples are asking around $20K USD.

#39 Bonkers

Bonkers

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 92 posts

Posted 07 July 2015 - 11:53 AM

Lots of interesting comments there.
But the original Z still has some way to go before it regains its original value. If memory serves they sold for around $4600 and in today's money that's around $71000. About what you would pay for a new 370Z. That is not to say there are not any S30's  worth that, but it would bring them full circle.It seems Nissan picked Professional people (Trades people, Nurses, middle management) as their target market in 1969 and decide that a 3/4 to a year's income would be a good price to extract for a new Z. Its 46 years now and that ideology still seems to be in place. Not convinced I see.
About six years ago I was handed by mistake the 370Z promotion booklet intended for dealership marketing purposes.Interesting reading if nothing else.But it just confirmed there their ideology. So if you're a team leader welder or CN Nurse expect to give up a year's pay for a new Z.

Gav buy a house now .It won't get any cheaper. It may flat line for a while but that's about it. By rule of thumb the cost of houses doubles every 7 years.Sometime it takes 10 years some only 3 years. But those who have equity in their homes and can not afford more property will look at classic cars as an investment. Z's are front and centre. Prices are all over the place. They have a club and cult following round the world and are strong here in Australia with formal clubs in NSW,QLD,WA not sure about SA. There are bargains to be had even at first glance they don't seem to be.As long as interest rates remain low (under 5% to the public)the value of the cars will increase quickly .As stated supply and demand. 

#40 Bonkers

Bonkers

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 92 posts

Posted 07 July 2015 - 12:03 PM

That explains why most members of Z car clubs have more than one Z. I didn't leave VIC out of the formal clubs .I just don't know why they haven't got a formal club for Z's. What stopping you guy's .

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users