235 replies to this topic

#221 PZG302

PZG302

The 1000+ club

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 1,798 posts

Posted 17 April 2018 - 11:30 AM

Yeah nah, our super funds, particulalry the industry run funds have built a lot of the infrastructure and major construction projects in Australia and also internationally. Whilst ever there are BOO and PPP infrastructure projects going on, and there always will, especially with the development of asia, and in particular emerging economies like Indonesia and Malaysia which are very respurces rich, and to a lesser extent Vietnam which is just starting to grow thanks to tourism and finally having some stability in the country after basically a few hundred years of war.

Super will be around for a while, and it will be good a investment, unfortunately people see it as set and forget, or a pain in the arse that they have to give up 9% of their pay. I am lucky in that I have a very switched on finance guy and he looks after me pretty well. With the last couple of rumbles in teh stock market, he pulled my money out of their into other areas and then back in when it was again stable. I may miss the absolute peaks of growth, but I also miss the plummets in value.

The introduction of super by the Hawke Keatiung Government was one of the best things to happen to teh workers of the country, basically providing them with a good pension and there were provisions to keep those not at the start of their working careers with a workable and liveable aged pension. If the original plans as set out by Hawke Keating, the unions and business were carried out, we would all be putting in 15% of our earnings to super.

Unfortunately following governments have meddled and changed the original intent for super to meet their own short term goals to be re-elected in the shitty 3 year cycle we now have. And I have to say that this started with Howard. Great leadership and looking forward for the long term basically died in this country with the first Howard Government gaining power. There was a glimps of what could be again with the original NBN as it was supposed to be, but short sightedness killed that off quicker than an Amy Whitehouse binge drug session.

• gav240z likes this

#222 gav240z

gav240z

Administrator

• Administrators
  • 13,429 posts
  • Tagline:Jack of all trades, master of none.

Posted 17 April 2018 - 11:34 AM

Agree Howard was political poison and the rot started with him and Costello...short term thinkers.

#223 TomC18

TomC18

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 143 posts
  • Tagline:Old Racer

Posted 17 April 2018 - 03:56 PM

Shouldn't mention the $70Bn Future Fund then i guess, grown to $120Bn >:D ... altho personally I reckon Keating was way cooler and he got China  8)

Back on topic (sort of) the great thing about classic cars is that they are CGT free (like the family home) means they are a good wealth store and no tax on the gain, and once they are on historic plates there is no duty to buy them.  So even though they make zero annual return they are not bad as an investment  overall - and you even get to drive them  :)

• gav240z likes this

#224 hmd

hmd

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 338 posts

Posted 17 April 2018 - 04:06 PM

Who knew you could get financial advice on this forum  ;)

If you think the stock market is going to crash, why don't you short the SPI future and see how long you last against margin calls.

• d3c0y likes this

#225 gav240z

gav240z

Administrator

• Administrators
  • 13,429 posts

Posted 17 April 2018 - 04:43 PM

Who knew you could get financial advice on this forum  ;)

If you think the stock market is going to crash, why don't you short the SPI future and see how long you last against margin calls.

If only it was that easy to short the market..

Worth watching however is "The Big Short"

If not for any other reason than Margot Robbie in a Bathtub.

RE: Classic cars as investments, if you have somewhere to store them I agree, good way to store wealth.

#226 260DET

260DET

The 2000+ club

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 2,429 posts
  • Tagline:Tribal Elder

Posted 17 April 2018 - 05:20 PM

Two things, there is no bathtub scene in that Big Short trailer, and, everybody's favourite Rack O'Bama let the US banks get away with financial murder. And yes, classic cars can be a good investment.

• OdinZ likes this

#227 luvemfast

luvemfast

The 2000+ club

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 4,161 posts

Posted 18 April 2018 - 09:45 AM

And yes, classic cars can be a good investment.

The right cars can be.....

But besides, they are way more fun than any other means of making money!

I got the chance to experience my boyhood dream car recently, a Lamborghini Countach. Even just looking, smelling and feeling it was awesome! 

Owner asked me not to post anything on social media though......

Although I wanted to yell from the tree tops, alas.... I could not  :

• gav240z likes this

#228 gav240z

gav240z

Administrator

• Administrators
  • 13,429 posts

Posted 18 April 2018 - 10:09 AM

The right cars can be.....

But besides, they are way more fun than any other means of making money!

I got the chance to experience my boyhood dream car recently, a Lamborghini Countach. Even just looking, smelling and feeling it was awesome! 

Owner asked me not to post anything on social media though......

Although I wanted to yell from the tree tops, alas.... I could not  :

That's why I feel the Walkinshaw is a waste of money - never been driven or registered? How could you resist? If you're buying it as an investment you probably don't want to put more km's on it. So kind of defeats the purpose for me.

I recall when I got my 72 240z back in 2002, I was talking to a mechanic who worked at Tucker Rd Motors (in Bentleigh), he was doing the road worthy certificate on the Z. He told me, he had a Walkinshaw VL and sold it around $25k because he got hassled by the cops all the time in it. I'll bet he regrets selling it now. :D

Countach would have been a cool experience.

#229 gav240z

gav240z

Administrator

• Administrators
  • 13,429 posts

Posted 27 April 2018 - 12:18 AM

https://jalopnik.com...-val-1825538522

It doesn’t surprise me much that the FJ40 Toyota Land Cruiser tops this list. Everyone loves those and everyone knows how expensive they are today. In second place, for similar reasons, is the original Datsun 240Z, for similar reasons. It’s a legendary machine with an interesting story and racing heritage, something that’s almost universally loved and admired by car enthusiasts. Old Zs are great for a reason! But they’re also in short supply these days and have been creeping up in value for years.

#230 260DET

260DET

The 2000+ club

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 2,429 posts
  • Tagline:Tribal Elder

Posted 27 April 2018 - 07:09 AM

The great thing about the Zed is you can drive it without worrying about putting kays on it and proper maintenance is an investment in maintaining it's value. Even judicious improvements can be an investment. All that is something you won't get with an exotic.

• PB260Z likes this

#231 PB260Z

PB260Z

Peter (PB)

• Moderators
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 3,374 posts
  • Tagline:Must stop buying new toys for the workshop.

Posted 27 April 2018 - 08:22 PM

Countach would have been a cool experience.

They are quite an experience, but not exactly a lazy drive, and definately avoid having to reverse the thing.
One of the cars that is on my Lotto list.
  • RAP260 likes this

#232 gav240z

gav240z

Administrator

• Administrators
  • 13,429 posts

Posted 17 May 2018 - 08:09 AM

Cheap or normal price for such a Ferrari?
http://www.adelaiden...ceb85edef5c6b72

#233 Agno

Agno

The 1000+ club

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 1,340 posts

Posted 17 May 2018 - 08:47 AM

Seems cheap, but there is no mention of the car's history in the article which would most likely explain the lower price.

Looking at what it sold for my guess is it would be a UK import or missing a big chunk of ownership history. Or both.

#234 hmd

hmd

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 338 posts

Posted 17 May 2018 - 10:30 AM

LOL @ the selling excuse, how many car collector drive all of their car often enough? Gav, you don't drive all of your Z often enough, you should just sell them :) 

"previous owner, a collector of fine cars, put it up for sale because he was not able to drive it often enough"

#235 gav240z

gav240z

Administrator

• Administrators
  • 13,429 posts

Posted 17 May 2018 - 10:52 AM

LOL @ the selling excuse, how many car collector drive all of their car often enough? Gav, you don't drive all of your Z often enough, you should just sell them :)

I plan to drive all mine more often. :)

#236 PB260Z

PB260Z

Peter (PB)

• Moderators
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 3,374 posts
  • Tagline:Must stop buying new toys for the workshop.

Posted 18 May 2018 - 09:34 PM

I plan to drive all mine more often. :)

We all do, but for whatever reason finding the time................

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users