Classic car bubble

d3c0y

• Moderators

I still miss my grey VL Calais that was stolen from me about 18 years ago!

I had a DC Red VL Calais Turbo in early 90's.

post-102365-0-13690200-1528020440_thumb.jpg

Wound up the boost, but it had a habit of destroying Jatco gearboxes.

VERY fast car back then.

• 2 weeks later...
13 hours ago, GongZ said:

This might make you feel better Youhan.

Unique Car magazine - Issue 414 May 24, 2018

GongZ, Ian you have definitely brought Joy to my heart. I will definitely be getting my hands on a copy. 

Thanks Champ

• Moderators
6 minutes ago, TOO60Z said:

Great! Another round of misquoted half baked truths and urban legends about the Z from some goofball “reporter” with the line of how he always admired them and something about Albrecht Goertz. 

Hi

So very true. That comment can be applied to the majority of journalistic efforts these days, especially in the automotive arena.

Two comments spring to mind

Never let the truth get in the way of a good story

The best Austomotive journalism money can buy.

• Administrators

Funny I thought the same thing, then I saw they interviewed Carl Beck and I'm like "oh noes!" we're gonna get more "series 1" and "series 2" nonsense..

8 hours ago, gav240z said:

Funny I thought the same thing, then I saw they interviewed Carl Beck and I'm like "oh noes!" we're gonna get more "series 1" and "series 2" nonsense..

I've got some classic Carl Beck quotes if anyone wants them. They have risen steadily in value over the years, but I can give a good discount for a bulk purchase. 

• Administrators

Copied from somewhere else.

Fast & Furious Is Causing Japanese Sports Car Prices To Climb
You can blame Vin Diesel for the rising costs of Japanese Sports cars in America.

Fast & Furious is now a multi-billion dollar action movie franchise that has strayed away from its street racing roots. The first film was released back in 2001 and helped popularize Japanese imports and the tuning scene in the US. Nearly 20 years on, the original film’s legacy is still affecting demand for Japanese sports cars associated with Fast & Furious such as the Mazda RX-7 and Toyota Supra according to a report by ClassicCars. One of the movie’s star cars was a 1994 Toyota Supra MK IV driven by Brian O’Conner played by the late Paul Walker.

News of the reborn Supra has sparked renewed interest in its predecessor made famous by the Fast & Furious franchise. Mk IV Supras have seen an “explosive growth in value.” Back in 1995, a new Supra will have set you back around $50,000, but today the average used model sells for around $70,000. The original Supra Paul Walker drove in the movie also sold for $185,000 in 2015. It’s a similar story for the Mazda RX-7, which starred in Fast & Furious Tokyo Drift. When new, the 1993 Mazda RX-7 had an asking price of around $33,000, but certain models now command a premium of $59,000.

With Mazda also celebrating its 40th anniversary, ClassicCars believes the RX7 is destined to be a “serious up-and-coming collectible”. Nissan Skyline GTR prices are also expected to soar, since you’ll soon be able to import R33 and R34 models, which typically fetch around $30,000, in the US on their forthcoming 25th anniversaries. While Acura killed the Integra years ago, there’s still demand for the Integra GS-R. With an average selling price of around $15,000, it’s one of the more affordable cars that featured in the movie franchise since it originally sold for around $20,000.

If, however, you want an even cheaper car that featured in a Fast & Furious movie, a 1997 Nissan 240SX is a “good entry car,” though finding a stock example is difficult since most of the original S13 and S14 models have either been modified for drifting or tuned to look the car from the film. Even so, an average 240SX will only cost a few thousand dollars today, despite fetching nearly $22,000 in 1997.

If the franchise ever features an S30Z, watch out!

The TA22 Celica was regarded as a MX5 type back in the day, besides it was under powered and had no competition history. Those are probably the reasons why they have been neglected. Is the Fast and Furious thing much relevant in AU? S30's still seem to attract the more mature type person and long time enthusiast here, note the restoration boom.

Holy crap, I just looked at the prices for 964 porsche and they are through the roof, I'm sure I only looked a few years ago and they were around 50k?

https://www.carsales.com.au/private/details/Porsche-911-Carrera-1990/SSE-AD-4923940/?Cr=1

Low kays 964 turbo anyone?

https://www.carsales.com.au/dealer/details/Porsche-911-1993/OAG-AD-15888570/?Cr=1

• Administrators

That first car looks like it's Dutton's Garage in Richmond, they had a C2 Corvette for $200k which seemed a little over valued compared to what I can find in the US. So I think they are charging a Premium..

This FD RX-7 just sold for $50k USD.

https://bringatrailer.com/listing/1993-mazda-rx-7-32/

Which is a lot when you consider that's Spirit R / Type RZ money.

• Administrators
8 hours ago, mossy said:

Holy crap, I just looked at the prices for 964 porsche and they are through the roof, I'm sure I only looked a few years ago and they were around 50k?

https://www.carsales.com.au/private/details/Porsche-911-Carrera-1990/SSE-AD-4923940/?Cr=1

Low kays 964 turbo anyone?

https://www.carsales.com.au/dealer/details/Porsche-911-1993/OAG-AD-15888570/?Cr=1

#NotABubble.

https://www.bloomberg.com/news/articles/2018-07-09/vintage-porsches-683-gain-fuels-returns-in-carmakers-homeland