#101 Gordo

Gordo

The 1000+ club

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 1,118 posts
  • Tagline:Racing member.

Posted 11 July 2015 - 01:13 PM

Here is a link to my first run out in the new zed. Very cold morning at PI. I let the Torana pass me on the first lap out .then chased when the tires warmed a little . Turn it up loud !

• blu260z likes this

#102 gav240z

gav240z

Administrator

• Administrators
  • 13,261 posts
  • Tagline:Jack of all trades, master of none.

Posted 11 July 2015 - 03:05 PM

Awesome that Torana had some grunt was it the 6 banger under the hood, went good in a straight line. Not so good in the corners lol.. I always wondered how the 2 compare as they are very similar concepts.

#103 260DET

260DET

The 2000+ club

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 2,402 posts
  • Tagline:Tribal Elder

Posted 11 July 2015 - 04:47 PM

Great video Gordo, liked it so nice I played it twice. You have a similar problem with the top of the door that I had at PI, mine was almost flapping so I had to limit top speed. Have since added a little spoiler at the front of the top door corner but the car has not be raced since to see if it works.

#104 Graedat

Graedat

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 202 posts
  • Tagline:Broken and grumpy

Posted 11 July 2015 - 05:39 PM

That is some great footage Gordo and the sound!

I am a subscriber. ;)

#105 luvemfast

luvemfast

The 2000+ club

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 4,156 posts

Posted 11 July 2015 - 09:18 PM

Great vid Gordo.

#106 Gordo

Gordo

The 1000+ club

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 1,118 posts

Posted 28 August 2015 - 08:45 PM

Bit of a up date. Was up at Winton a few weeks ago. Had the brake master cylinders changed and can now lock brakes. But the peddle travel is twice as far. Also getting lots of Pad knock off, hence I have to pump the peddle before braking to get a high peddle.
Was still getting understeer, but only had 2deg of caster and have now gone to 4 deg. The diff was still giving me inside wheel spin, and have just changed over the diff for another, fingers crossed. Still struggling to get tire temps up. Temps from 30 deg to 48deg.
I'm hoping these are medium compound slicks and will get some softs next time. Got down to a 1.38. Going back to the Island soon and hoping for some warmer weather. lol.
Hear is a link to my second session at Winton. Listen for the inside wheel spin coming out of the left hander going onto the newer back straight. And lots of understeer on the tight right hander leading onto the old back straight .

• gav240z, d3c0y and Gordo like this

#107 hmd

hmd

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 333 posts

Posted 28 August 2015 - 09:36 PM

Nice camera angle.

What diff ratio are you running ?

#108 Riceburner

Riceburner

The 2000+ club

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 3,284 posts

Posted 28 August 2015 - 11:07 PM

Looks like a little more action than the 240, nice catch on the exit of the left hand sweeper  :o

Do you have shortened steering arms?

#109 Gordo

Gordo

The 1000+ club

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 1,118 posts

Posted 29 August 2015 - 08:45 AM

Yes Gareth, the car is a bit of a hand full ATM . But it's challenging me to push through it.
I'm using the R32 diff 4.1 ratio. Winton is a hard track to get all the gears matched to corner speed and revs. Cheers.

#110 260DET

260DET

The 2000+ club

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 2,402 posts

Posted 29 August 2015 - 09:08 AM

Maybe more caster still? Ever considered running mediums on the fronts and softs on the rears Gordo? Mine wears the smaller fronts more so that's what I'm thinking of doing.

#111 Gordo

Gordo

The 1000+ club

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 1,118 posts

Posted 29 August 2015 - 05:02 PM

I spoke to Stucky Tires. And they only make the one compound with this tire. He says it is a softish tire any way.
I'm very tire limited with a wheel size of 17x 11 and 12. No one makes a treaded competition tire for these. If I had 18s it would be great.

#112 TomC18

TomC18

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 143 posts
  • Tagline:Old Racer

Posted 30 August 2015 - 09:32 PM

Hey Gordo,

Looks like great fun and love the NA sound - I used the 4.4:1 with a 1:1 fifth at Winton, so you could go a lot shorter  - I had a 5.1:1 in the sports 2000, but then you have to change them every event.  That sounds like a lot of tyre.  I had trouble getting 295 on 16's warm, was thinking of going smaller, back to 260's, but was looking for a soft compund

Guess what, the Zed is running again, CR box back in, new fuel pumps, injector seals, brakes, clutch (lots of rubbers)

Luckily the suspension is all rosejointed...

Started straight away, sounds crisp.

Looking for somewhere to take it for a run - any ideas? 95Dba needed

Still working on spoilers and deciding if to go to back to your look or stick with the G-nose

that's the next job

#113 peter mc

peter mc

The 1000+ club

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 1,573 posts

Posted 30 August 2015 - 10:42 PM

Gordo cut some grozes in them get them hot that way

#114 TomC18

TomC18

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 143 posts
  • Tagline:Old Racer

Posted 31 August 2015 - 11:05 AM

Were you talking camber or caster?  Fronts shd be about 4 degrees negative camber, rear between 2-3 -ve camber, 2 degrees positive caster all round.  A bit of tow out can crispen up the turn in but make it a bit darty under brakes

#115 Gordo

Gordo

The 1000+ club

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 1,118 posts

Posted 31 August 2015 - 08:41 PM

Tom, I've put 4deg pos caster on it now. If you are quick, Msca are doing. 95 db sprint on the 12th of September , you better enter quick .
Peter I'm looking into getting some spacers and running the GTR wheels as a comparison

#116 luvemfast

luvemfast

The 2000+ club

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 4,156 posts

Posted 01 September 2015 - 09:46 AM

Man I love watching your driving videos Gordo!

It's like you have an extra 3 ft of track width compared to mine, so much cooler and smooth. And the way you dart into open doors before corners, when you can't pass them on the straights due to straight line speeds. I'd be stuck behind them for another lap! (or more)

Looks like the cars getting better each time and you're gaining confidence with it too  8)

#117 Gordo

Gordo

The 1000+ club

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 1,118 posts

Posted 01 September 2015 - 06:11 PM

Thanks Simon , I'm defiantly enjoying the challenge . The drivers in my group session were really good. When they saw me getting closer they would flag me passed. It might look like I'm diving in the corner, but when you see a car change his line a bit you know he is letting you in. At least you hope he is. I tend to move to the inside and show my hand early. Some times you can miss read it, and you have to be ready for it. But the guys were really good.

#118 Gordo

Gordo

The 1000+ club

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 1,118 posts

Posted 13 September 2015 - 09:33 PM

Was out at Phillip Island on Saturday. The weather was a bit warmer than previous outings. Tires warmed up and gave some positive grip. Got into the 1.48s. Still got some work to do. Extra caster solved the understeer . And the spare diff worked a treat. Hear is a link to one of my sessions. Cheers.

• gav240z likes this

#119 dat2kman

dat2kman

The 2000+ club

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 4,137 posts
  • Tagline:going sailing, see ya later!

Posted 13 September 2015 - 09:49 PM

Isn't it great fun carving up a Sprints pack right from the back!

#120 260DET

260DET

The 2000+ club

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 2,402 posts

Posted 14 September 2015 - 06:47 PM

Nice work Gordo, you look too relaxed though :)

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users