• Please log in to reply
15 replies to this topic

#1 Zedman240®

Zedman240®

The 2000+ club

• Moderators
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 5,198 posts
  • Tagline:I want your old SHOGUN bike! PM me now...

Posted 17 January 2008 - 08:02 PM

Just wondering how all the new meetings for members in 08 are going to be advertised... Need to get the Zed  off CH plates and back to normal Reg. Its been a while since I've driven with other Zeds on the road! Withdrawal symptoms...

#2 gav240z

gav240z

Administrator

• Administrators
  • 12,646 posts
  • Tagline:Jack of all trades, master of none.

Posted 17 January 2008 - 11:06 PM

We now have a calendar section on the site that I will be using to post events.

Sulio suggested that we also include a list of days like we did previously in text format just incase others have trouble with the calendar.

http://www.viczcar.com/Calendar.html

#3 Toecutter

Toecutter

The 2000+ club

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 2,274 posts

Posted 17 January 2008 - 11:58 PM

Well we have no set dates for 2008 meetings yet. I will do that in the coming days. Last year we had 4 meetings with cruises in between, some of which were over night cruises. The Apollo Bay and the Mount Buller cruises were both overnighters and great fun, (refer to pics in the galleries). We have decided to do those same destinations for 2008 with an additioanal overnighter to Phillip Island, (still unsure of the route to get there but the run of 37km of road from Warrigul to Korumburra is one I would really like to incorporate in that one).

We can also organise some one day cruises in between those dates that take much less planning. I will post this info on the calendar page soon with meeting dates and I'll included any other calendar dates other states might organise BBQ's or cruises for just be sure to make a post in the individual state forum category.

The first set of dates for Victoria:

1. Sat 19 & Sun 20 April 2008, Phillip Island, (exact route still to be determined)
2. Sat 2 & Sun 3 Aug 2008, Apollo Bay
3. Sat 8 & Sun 9 Nov 2008, Mt Buller,

Cheers,
Sulio

EDIT: Calendar has been updated. Go to front page and click on the link.

#4 Toecutter

Toecutter

The 2000+ club

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 2,274 posts

Posted 24 January 2008 - 02:48 PM

Just an update for the first Victorian cruise, (Phillip Island). Discussion and planning can be found in the Victorian area, link below:

http://www.viczcar.c...hp?topic=1985.0

#5 620Z

620Z

The 1000+ club

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 1,710 posts

Posted 25 January 2008 - 08:01 AM

It would be nice to have some of the meetings, say 2 weeks prior to our weekend away if not a drive. This would guage interest or generate it and help with the final planning.
Also I know we have a calendar going but it might be an idea to have a side bar (to replace the boring poles) maybe to list the events, meetings and or club drives for the next few months. Make it a rolling calendar on the side bar so it is at the forfront of the members minds. It's all about marketing and advertising. If people glance to the right on the site and see what is on in the next few months then they are more likely to remember. People will not always go into the calendar to see what is on.
Just an idea to lift our profile and increase numbers to our drives etc.  :)

#6 Toecutter

Toecutter

The 2000+ club

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 2,274 posts

Posted 25 January 2008 - 10:43 PM

Yer I was planning to just add text above the calendar with all events noted so we don't need to scroll through the calendar, just see th eyear ahead at a glance sort of thing. As soon as the meeting dates are confirmed I'll make the addition.

Sulio

EDIT: Done

#7 matt drago

matt drago

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 208 posts

Posted 27 January 2008 - 04:20 PM

Is there a way to modify the Agenda tab to show the full year rather than just the current month?  When looking at the Calendar, I generally use this tab and just keep increasing the search range to find meetings.  That way I see a full list from now to the month that I have expanded to.

Just checked the calendar page and noticed that the google calednar has been taken off.

#8 Toecutter

Toecutter

The 2000+ club

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 2,274 posts

Posted 27 January 2008 - 05:11 PM

Hi Matt,

Yer I thought it would be a good idea to have everything listed on the calendar page si it could be seen at a glance which I have done however the removal of the google calendar was just a by product of my lousy update, (in other words I accidently removed the google calendar). You'll probably see it up again soon when Gav gets a chance to put it back in. But yer good option to be able to see everything at a glance rather than having to flick through many pages to see whats on for the year!?

Cheers,
Sulio

#9 gav240z

gav240z

Administrator

• Administrators
  • 12,646 posts

Posted 27 January 2008 - 10:29 PM

I wonder if we even need the Calendar though. At first it seemed like a good idea but I honestly think that perhaps its not neccessary and just ads confusion? What do you guys think?

#10 Toecutter

Toecutter

The 2000+ club

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 2,274 posts

Posted 27 January 2008 - 10:35 PM

Yer I like the simpler text version, also simpler to update as only one area needs to be updated. I think one thing we can do to help it is add the calendar button above so it can be accessed whilst on forums and no need to go to front page.

Sulio

#11 Toecutter

Toecutter

The 2000+ club

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 2,274 posts

Posted 27 January 2008 - 10:41 PM

I think it would also be beneficial to have part of the calendar showing in a box on the front page, perhaps just above the polls box...with a read more button just like the articals so it reminds people of upcoming evets!????? If we are going to the effort of planning events we really need max exposure and the front page does it.

Cheers,
Sulio

#12 620Z

620Z

The 1000+ club

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 1,710 posts

Posted 29 January 2008 - 08:16 AM

I like the text box style Sulio. But I would put the month and date at the front of every event. Then people see the date then look at what event it is. Then instantly you will realise, oh that's this weekend. I feel the dates get lost in the text in it's current format.
Then like I say I reckon I would get rid of the crappy pole's box and replace it with a summarised version of the calender. Then it is in everyones face when they log onto the site at first glance. Then keep the other text like you have for more details. Then visitors will instantly see that the club is active and running events without having to click around different pages.
Just an idea anyway. Good work though.   ;)

#13 Glen

Glen

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 494 posts

Posted 02 March 2008 - 06:13 PM

Hows the planning for the phillip island day going. i wont stay overnight (married kids) but would like to view and discuss some other Z's

#14 620Z

620Z

The 1000+ club

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 1,710 posts

Posted 03 March 2008 - 07:44 AM

You will have to go to the Calander. I am pretty sure it is all locked in for April some time.
It would be much easier to see if Gavin was able to put the calander in place of the "Poll" on the front page. This is the best way to promote the club and it's activities. Not 2 screens behind the scenes where MOST people visiting the site won't go. If we want more people along then we need the dates at the for front of all visitors eyes.  :-)

#15 gav240z

gav240z

Administrator

• Administrators
  • 12,646 posts

Posted 03 March 2008 - 08:25 AM

You will have to go to the Calander. I am pretty sure it is all locked in for April some time.
It would be much easier to see if Gavin was able to put the calander in place of the "Poll" on the front page. This is the best way to promote the club and it's activities. Not 2 screens behind the scenes where MOST people visiting the site won't go. If we want more people along then we need the dates at the for front of all visitors eyes.  :-)

Craig I realise that you would like more visibility on the front page. The problem was that the Google calendar doesn't work well that small. I tested it out already and when you mouse over the days it cuts off the text, which i next to useless. This is because it displays in an iframe (can't avoid this).

There is a component that works as an event manager for Joomla 1.0 (the system being used for the front page and articles sections). However Joomla 1.5 has just been released and upgrading from 1.0 to 1.5 is a complicated process. I don't want to rely on old components. I plan to update the site for security and maintenance reasons to the new system. If I was to build the site again I would probably use a different system, but we are stuck with this for the time being.

Alternatively I could put a box (module) above the polls or as you say remove the polls. Which contains links to the upcoming events or at least outlines in bullet form the next events with dates.

I know you don't find the polls useful, but I find them useful for understanding what features and things members like. I could also use the forum polls I guess.

Cheers,
Gavin.

#16 620Z

620Z

The 1000+ club

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 1,710 posts

Posted 03 March 2008 - 11:38 AM

Hi Gavin,
Yeah that's all I was thinking was to have the coming events for the next 6 months or year in bullet form. Not a whole calendar where we are lucky to have one event a month.
A small list of the next half dozen mettings and or drives would be perfect. Then people can instantly see the club is active and has current events coming up. I reckon Sulio or Lurch would be happy to manually update this list. As one drops off add another, sort of in a rolling 6 month events schedule. Something like that would be perfect on the front page.
I don't mind the polls but think your site and the club would get more out of having the coming events more visible and maybe keep the poles on a secondary screen or something.
Cheers

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users