416 replies to this topic

#401 CBR Jeff

CBR Jeff

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 971 posts
  • Tagline:Often lost

Posted 26 September 2017 - 09:31 PM

All MIG welded in. The same process as I used when replacing the outer guards on the rear quarters.

Fit in the patch with a gap all the way around, same width as a cut off disk. Tack it in then gradually fill it in working around letting it cool down as you go. Use a piece of copper as a backing plate to help bridge the gap and dissipate the heat.

Jeff

IMG_4266.JPG

• gav240z, KatoKid and HomeBuiltByJeff like this

#402 CBR Jeff

CBR Jeff

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 971 posts

Posted 26 September 2017 - 09:33 PM

Like this. I have made a selection of handy copper tools from copper pipe, buss bars and sheet.

Jeff

Edited by CBR Jeff, 26 September 2017 - 09:35 PM.

• HomeBuiltByJeff likes this

#403 CBR Jeff

CBR Jeff

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 971 posts

Posted 28 September 2017 - 05:23 PM

Managed to spend a few hours in the shed today continuing the work on the bonnet. Concentrated on the front edge that was a real mess. Cut sections out, fabricated and rolled a curve into new sections then welded them in. Its not done yet but its starting to look ok. I'm fairly confident its going to turn out ok.

Before

IMG_3946(1).JPG

After

IMG_4471(1).JPG

IMG_4476(1).JPG

Jeff

• gav240z, KatoKid and HomeBuiltByJeff like this

#404 HomeBuiltByJeff

HomeBuiltByJeff

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 127 posts

Posted 28 September 2017 - 07:01 PM

Looks good.

Did it need to have that big of an area cut out? From the pictures it only looked like the front few centimetres were bad.

#405 CBR Jeff

CBR Jeff

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 971 posts

Posted 28 September 2017 - 07:34 PM

It’s a bit hard to see in the photos but the problem was that the front edge had been bashed and bogged. So the area was concave rather than domed like the original profile. I have also found that most of the time its easier to replace a larger section than a small one. Particularly when welding it in it helps to stop distortion.

Jeff

Edited by CBR Jeff, 28 September 2017 - 07:34 PM.

• gav240z and HomeBuiltByJeff like this

#406 gav240z

gav240z

Administrator

• Administrators
  • 12,651 posts
  • Tagline:Jack of all trades, master of none.

Posted 28 September 2017 - 09:54 PM

I hadn't seen this bonnet work until now, I know how much of a pain in the butt it is to repair this panel. So hats off to using a mig of all welding types for that vent hole!

I know you spent a lot of time on it, but geez it's tough to find a good bonnet for these cars now!

I like your profile tool, what's it called? I made a profile using sheet metal - I should take a photo and post it here for comparison.

#407 HomeBuiltByJeff

HomeBuiltByJeff

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 127 posts

Posted 29 September 2017 - 08:33 AM

Results look good. I start tackling my bonnet today, which I will post up the results in tonights video. Fingers crossed.

#408 CBR Jeff

CBR Jeff

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 971 posts

Posted 29 September 2017 - 01:59 PM

I hadn't seen this bonnet work until now, I know how much of a pain in the butt it is to repair this panel. So hats off to using a mig of all welding types for that vent hole!

I know you spent a lot of time on it, but geez it's tough to find a good bonnet for these cars now!

I like your profile tool, what's it called? I made a profile using sheet metal - I should take a photo and post it here for comparison.

Thanks Gav. It has been testing my metal work skills and patience. Still some work needed but its better that what it was and its better than a plastic one. They are very hard to get in good condition and worth saving if possible

I purchased the contour and profile gauges from Hare & Forbs. From memory they were in the wood work section.

I originally got them to help get the rear quarters sorted (not finished yet) but they have been very handy for a few other jobs.

Jeff

#409 CBR Jeff

CBR Jeff

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 971 posts

Posted 29 September 2017 - 02:00 PM

Results look good. I start tackling my bonnet today, which I will post up the results in tonights video. Fingers crossed.

You will be fine.

Ill watch the results tonight.

Jeff

#410 CBR Jeff

CBR Jeff

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 971 posts

Posted 29 November 2017 - 01:35 PM

Its been some time between drinks as they say.

Work, MTB events a small car rally in Coffs Harbour and an elbow operation (miss spent youth) have all taken up way too much time.

Car has been progressing slowly in between.

I finished painting the engine bay and inside. Took it off the rotisserie as its a bit easier to manage getting the rear quarters sorted out. Door are next then I will need to  get panel gaps sorted out and it may get painted over the Christmas period, see how I go. I have also collected a few items that will be needed as she starts to go back together. Picked up a fairly good front bumper off eBay for $100 that was local in Canberra and then swapped a bottle of nice red for the rear bumper.

Jeff

IMG_5426(1).jpg

• KatoKid likes this

#411 PeterAllen

PeterAllen

The 1000+ club

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 1,340 posts
  • Tagline:Manana!

Posted 29 November 2017 - 03:26 PM

WHAT... a whole bottle? You were had.

• CBR Jeff likes this

#412 CBR Jeff

CBR Jeff

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 971 posts

Posted 10 December 2017 - 05:45 PM

Great to be healthy, have a weekend at home and have time in the shed. I managed to get quite a few jobs done around the house early each day then hit the shed after smoko both days. Hung all of the front components, guards, sugar scoops, valance, fitted the cowel and sat the bonnet on. They all went on come off and then went on again several times. I had a set of aftermarket sugar scoops that looked good but after fitting them and comparing them to the OEM pair I have I decided the final result was worth spending time repairing the original set. The reproductions it turns out are different lengths, not only to each other but to the OEM parts. The reproduction RH side scoop is about 11mm shorther than the OEM one but the LH is about 4mm longer than the OEM.
So the final combination is OEM inner guard spacers, reproduction guards OEM sugar scoops, OEM bonnet, valance and cowel panel. It actually all fits together quite well. The top of both guards at the junction with the sugar scoop in the same place on both sides needn’t a small of work.
Also managed to get a couple of other jobs started.
If I was making a video like HB Jeff I think I would have a good 10 hours of raw footage.

Jeff
5C8D2442-6CC8-4830-BB26-C2FF414A2653.jpeg
E0655F1E-F701-44E2-B1A0-248456F2D4B3.jpeg
8A6935FE-9FAE-4137-8126-3E6E351B8B2D.jpeg
B0E247FB-968D-4046-8043-F699C51967BB.jpeg
  • KatoKid, Ponyo240z and HomeBuiltByJeff like this

#413 AndBir

AndBir

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 258 posts

Posted 10 December 2017 - 06:08 PM

How did you find the fitment / panel gaps (esp. with the doors) of the aftermarket guards? 

#414 HomeBuiltByJeff

HomeBuiltByJeff

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 127 posts

Posted 10 December 2017 - 06:23 PM

Looking really good.

• CBR Jeff likes this

#415 CBR Jeff

CBR Jeff

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 971 posts

Posted 10 December 2017 - 06:26 PM

How did you find the fitment / panel gaps (esp. with the doors) of the aftermarket guards?

Andy I didn’t get to fitting the doors this weekend only managed to bolt on the hinges. I decided I would work from the bonnet leading edge back getting all of these components lined up. I still need to strip the doors, clean then up a repair a bit of rust when I’m doing this I’ll get the door gaps sorted but will hang them before hand to see what I am facing.

Jeff

#416 CBR Jeff

CBR Jeff

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 971 posts

Posted 11 December 2017 - 05:03 PM

Andy

I finished up a bit early today so took the time to fit the doors. Both align quite well but have the same problem.

Lurch was with me or I was with him (?) when I picked up the guards and he said that the reproduction gards "were NQR at the top". So I found out what he was talking about today. Its the alignment at the top of the door with the guard at the curve back to the A pillar (the photo showes it quite well). Its quite a big gap, but will be simple to rectify with some welding and grinding. This is a very small job in comparison to repairing the original gusrds that are very very badly rusted out and have had several attempts by others to repair them. They were welded onto the car at the bottom of the A pillar!!!

Jeff

IMG_5846(1).jpg

IMG_5847(1).jpg

Edited by CBR Jeff, 11 December 2017 - 05:07 PM.

• Ponyo240z, HomeBuiltByJeff and AndBir like this

#417 AndBir

AndBir

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 258 posts

Posted 11 December 2017 - 05:26 PM

Thanks Jeff, I appreciate the extra info. Good to know what the potential issues are, but as you say a relatively easy fix compared to rust!

I was just trying to establish the cost / benefit of a repo versus panel beating an original ( no indicator hole) rust free guard.

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users