408 replies to this topic

#401 CBR Jeff

CBR Jeff

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 963 posts
  • Tagline:Often lost

Posted 26 September 2017 - 09:31 PM

All MIG welded in. The same process as I used when replacing the outer guards on the rear quarters.

Fit in the patch with a gap all the way around, same width as a cut off disk. Tack it in then gradually fill it in working around letting it cool down as you go. Use a piece of copper as a backing plate to help bridge the gap and dissipate the heat.

Jeff

IMG_4266.JPG

• gav240z, KatoKid and HomeBuiltByJeff like this

#402 CBR Jeff

CBR Jeff

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 963 posts

Posted 26 September 2017 - 09:33 PM

Like this. I have made a selection of handy copper tools from copper pipe, buss bars and sheet.

Jeff

Edited by CBR Jeff, 26 September 2017 - 09:35 PM.

• HomeBuiltByJeff likes this

#403 CBR Jeff

CBR Jeff

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 963 posts

Posted 28 September 2017 - 05:23 PM

Managed to spend a few hours in the shed today continuing the work on the bonnet. Concentrated on the front edge that was a real mess. Cut sections out, fabricated and rolled a curve into new sections then welded them in. Its not done yet but its starting to look ok. I'm fairly confident its going to turn out ok.

Before

IMG_3946(1).JPG

After

IMG_4471(1).JPG

IMG_4476(1).JPG

Jeff

• gav240z, KatoKid and HomeBuiltByJeff like this

#404 HomeBuiltByJeff

HomeBuiltByJeff

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 76 posts

Posted 28 September 2017 - 07:01 PM

Looks good.

Did it need to have that big of an area cut out? From the pictures it only looked like the front few centimetres were bad.

#405 CBR Jeff

CBR Jeff

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 963 posts

Posted 28 September 2017 - 07:34 PM

It’s a bit hard to see in the photos but the problem was that the front edge had been bashed and bogged. So the area was concave rather than domed like the original profile. I have also found that most of the time its easier to replace a larger section than a small one. Particularly when welding it in it helps to stop distortion.

Jeff

Edited by CBR Jeff, 28 September 2017 - 07:34 PM.

• gav240z and HomeBuiltByJeff like this

#406 gav240z

gav240z

Administrator

• Administrators
  • 12,384 posts
  • Tagline:Jack of all trades, master of none.

Posted 28 September 2017 - 09:54 PM

I hadn't seen this bonnet work until now, I know how much of a pain in the butt it is to repair this panel. So hats off to using a mig of all welding types for that vent hole!

I know you spent a lot of time on it, but geez it's tough to find a good bonnet for these cars now!

I like your profile tool, what's it called? I made a profile using sheet metal - I should take a photo and post it here for comparison.

#407 HomeBuiltByJeff

HomeBuiltByJeff

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 76 posts

Posted 29 September 2017 - 08:33 AM

Results look good. I start tackling my bonnet today, which I will post up the results in tonights video. Fingers crossed.

#408 CBR Jeff

CBR Jeff

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 963 posts

Posted 29 September 2017 - 01:59 PM

I hadn't seen this bonnet work until now, I know how much of a pain in the butt it is to repair this panel. So hats off to using a mig of all welding types for that vent hole!

I know you spent a lot of time on it, but geez it's tough to find a good bonnet for these cars now!

I like your profile tool, what's it called? I made a profile using sheet metal - I should take a photo and post it here for comparison.

Thanks Gav. It has been testing my metal work skills and patience. Still some work needed but its better that what it was and its better than a plastic one. They are very hard to get in good condition and worth saving if possible

I purchased the contour and profile gauges from Hare & Forbs. From memory they were in the wood work section.

I originally got them to help get the rear quarters sorted (not finished yet) but they have been very handy for a few other jobs.

Jeff

#409 CBR Jeff

CBR Jeff

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 963 posts

Posted 29 September 2017 - 02:00 PM

Results look good. I start tackling my bonnet today, which I will post up the results in tonights video. Fingers crossed.

You will be fine.

Ill watch the results tonight.

Jeff

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users