#1 ultrasuede

ultrasuede

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 77 posts
  • Tagline:1975 260Z 2+2

Posted 09 May 2015 - 01:05 PM

Hi everyone, how do you go about tuning these things? I checked my plugs and the 2 middle ones are black as black can be. My middle carbie is running rich. Every call to my local mechanics goes like "hi do you tune carbies?, yes we do. Do you tune triples? No sorry only singles" . I want to learn to do it myself. What do I need?

#2 peter t

peter t

OLD RETIRED Z FART

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 1,816 posts
  • Tagline:75 260 2+2 RA60 Celica Hatch 74 260

Posted 09 May 2015 - 05:06 PM

A lot of knowledge. I have been researching these carbs before comminting to buy and there is a lot to learn. A lot of good info here but you have to look. Being an old fart all I can tell you is use the search engine top right. ;)

#3 adam

adam

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 219 posts

Posted 09 May 2015 - 05:13 PM

There are a few write ups online about how carburetors work, I suggest finding these and understand it before playing around with your own.

Webers, Dellortos, Mikunis all work very similar. All have 'idle' jets, mains, air correctors, emulsion tubes, etc. They all do the same thing, so what you read on Webers generally, can be applied to Dellortos.

There is a lot to take in so read things and don't be afraid to read it again and again.

Best thing you can now spend your money on (besides a professional tune) would be a wide band oxygen sensor. Forget the guess work done by reading plugs.

#4 adam

adam

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 219 posts

Posted 09 May 2015 - 05:15 PM

http://www.tr3a.info...OEinfo.htm#idle

Here's a link I just found. Applies to the Weber DCOEs used on our Datsuns (tutorial is for a differen car though!), but like I mentioned earlier, how the different jets function in a Weber is the same in a Dellorto.

Good luck

#5 Scoota G

Scoota G

The 2000+ club

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 4,213 posts
  • Tagline:Mark

Posted 09 May 2015 - 06:53 PM

I'm the self proclaimed king at tuning Dellortos. Pity we don't know where you are, would love to try and assist!

#6 dat2kman

dat2kman

The 2000+ club

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 4,031 posts
  • Tagline:going sailing, see ya later!

Posted 09 May 2015 - 10:24 PM

Go through each one, ne by one, remove and make a note of the accelerator jet sizes, mains, airs emulsions.
You say middle two plugs are quite black, compared to front/rear two.
Sounds like carby no 2 may have incorrect bits in there, compared to other two carbs.

An O2 sensor up the exhaust will only tell you the total of all six cylinders.

#7 ultrasuede

ultrasuede

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 77 posts
  • Tagline:1975 260Z 2+2

Posted 24 May 2015 - 08:38 AM

Hey guys, thank you for all the advice, I have alot of reading to do. I'm in Warwick qld btw Scooter. Cheers

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users