Kameari Engine Works - Idler Kit Discussion Split from Brown Hornet Build Thread

dat2kman

I got to the end of my first sentence in my reply to your comment Alan, then I asked myself: "Why am I bothering?".

I decided my time would be better spent in going to work earlier and doing something constructive - like working on Datsun's :) (of which there is always lots to do!).

Opinions are like Bumholes - everyone's got one. But it just so happens I do some work for one of (if not, THE) best L-series engine builder in the world,

and I put my trust Les's 40-years of Datsun building experience, his engineering nous & his down-to-earth common sense when he says:

"don't bother with one of those fancy timing chain idlers - spend your money somewhere else (on the engine build)".

The end :)

I got to the end of my first sentence in my reply to your comment Alan, then I asked myself: "Why am I bothering?".

That's a sentiment I could share with you ad infinitum, but particularly when perusing some of the Facebook groups that are linked to our old car interests. They make me despair for humanity. So much for the much-vaunted "Information Age".

I put my trust Les's 40-years of Datsun building experience, his engineering nous & his down-to-earth common sense when he says:

"don't bother with one of those fancy timing chain idlers - spend your money somewhere else (on the engine build)".

The cost saved in not buying a KEW Twin Idler won't get you much bang for your buck spent elsewhere though, will it? Especially not with some "fancy" engine builder.

;)

The cost saved in not buying a KEW Twin Idler won't get you much bang for your buck spent elsewhere though, will it? Especially not with some "fancy" engine builder.

;)

The $800.00 (approx.) + shipping saved goes a fair way in cylinder head development.

;)

The $800.00 (approx.) + shipping saved goes a fair way in cylinder head development.

;)

$550 + postage from RHD JAPAN recently when I also purchased Kameari close ratio gearset for $1380

High Quality parts at those prices is "No brainer" for me????

Let's face it...all good engine builders have "preferences" but I am sure they ALL charge to modify the timing chain tensioner accordingly...????

Another debate they have is the brass worn drive gear on the crank...some insist - others say don't bother...

$550 + postage from RHD JAPAN recently when I also purchased Kameari close ratio gearset for $1380

I'm happy to be corrected Richard :)

I'd personally spend the money somewhere else - each to his own though.