MAKE A DONATION to maintain this site - See the 'Home' page for details

• Please log in to reply
64 replies to this topic

#61 gav240z

gav240z

Administrator

• Administrators
  • 12,651 posts
  • Tagline:Jack of all trades, master of none.

Posted 23 August 2015 - 11:50 PM

Yep got it, that issue is totally separate to the forum software upgrade. It's an error on my side. PayPal receives the payment fine. I used to capture the payment information on this end (viczcar.com) for reporting etc.. Then PayPal made an update to the software or return URL and it caused an issue with the script.

I'm going to fix it soon. Looking at options to integrate the PayPal donation with the new forum so that it automatically updates users to donating member status and possibly expires after a certain timeframe also. I'm thinking that I might make the ads on the site appear for non-donating users and for those who donate they get an advertisement free experience?

Thanks again for the payment. 

#62 PB260Z

PB260Z

Peter (PB)

• Moderators
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 3,283 posts
  • Tagline:Must stop buying new toys for the workshop.

Posted 23 August 2015 - 11:53 PM

ith the new forum so that it automatically updates users to donating member status and possibly expires after a certain timeframe also. I'm thinking that I might make the ads on the site appear for non-donating users and for those who donate they get an advertisement free experience?

Thanks again for the payment.

Hi Gav

I reckon that would be well received, but banner ads don't really worry me. Pop Ups are very different story and I hate them 😡 glad we don't have them on the forum.

I do have a question or two.

Would making that change reduce the exposure and thus what you can charge for banner ads ?
Can you make "Ad Free" or "Donating Member" valid for a tome period, say 12 months ?

Edited by PB260Z, 23 August 2015 - 11:58 PM.

#63 zeds4ever

zeds4ever

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 868 posts
  • Tagline:Old Member

Posted 28 September 2015 - 10:34 PM

Gav just as a thought, why not set up a section where members can sell parts etc & the proceeds or a percentage of the proceeds are donated to the site

I'm pretty sure a lot of members would be in favor of it , I have tried this & the members that were involved with buying the parts were quite happy to donate to the site.                                    

Regards: Alan..

• oldmates260z likes this

#64 gav240z

gav240z

Administrator

• Administrators
  • 12,651 posts
  • Tagline:Jack of all trades, master of none.

Posted 29 September 2015 - 08:39 PM

Would making that change reduce the exposure and thus what you can charge for banner ads ?
Can you make "Ad Free" or "Donating Member" valid for a tome period, say 12 months ?

Last time I checked it was only a small portion of site activity that was "signed in users" and a smaller portion of traffic is "signed in donating members" so no that wouldn't be a big deal.

The web-stats I look at tell me that member activity on the site is really the tip of the iceberg, a majority of traffic is actually casual or non-signed in users.

The only issue with the donating members set up is that I've never had a good system for managing updating a user and downgrading again after a time period. There is a plugin or 2 I can use for this software that will do it though. So will look into it when I get a chance.

Gav just as a thought, why not set up a section where members can sell parts etc & the proceeds or a percentage of the proceeds are donated to the site

I'm pretty sure a lot of members would be in favor of it , I have tried this & the members that were involved with buying the parts were quite happy to donate to the site.                                    

Regards: Alan..

I've thought about this also, charging a small fee for classifieds but when you have Gumtree offering free ads I think I'd like to encourage people to list items here so members can take advantage of that.

However I'm a bit reluctant to dramatically change the classifieds for a couple of reasons:

1. It's the most popular section of the forum.

2. I think charging would reduce the listings and therefore make parts less available to members.

A smarter option would be a priority listing of some sort that gives greater visibility for certain listings. You could charge a small Premium for those.

#65 zeds4ever

zeds4ever

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 868 posts
  • Tagline:Old Member

Posted 30 September 2015 - 03:37 PM

Gav the intention is not to charge those that use the for sale option but to create a section where members can sell an item & the proceeds go to the forum or even if they give a percentage of the item to the forum once the item is sold. A lot of people don't buy off of Gumtree because there is always a possibility of being ripped off & they don't have any comeback.

Regards:Alan.

Edited by zeds4ever, 30 September 2015 - 08:34 PM.

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users