72 240Z Historic Group S

hmd

Hi All,

I joined the forum way back in June 08 with a crazy thought that I should get a Z to race in historic group S.

A few years down the track and a couple of race cars in between I finally decided to get a group S Z car.

So for that last 18 months I’ve been looking out for an already well set up car, something like Jason’s 280Z.

I would have bought Jason’s car for the asking price if it was a 260Z, as I prefer a carburetted  car over the EFI and also the 280 bump you up in the sub-class of Sc (2001-2600 Scb, 2601-3500 Scc).

Recently a NSW group S 240Z came up and after talking to James Flett, Brian Potts and a couple of other NSW Z racers, I pulled the trigger and bought the car unseen with 2 extra engines, one running and one not.

Got the car today, the paint work is a bit rough but other than that it has many good points.

In time it will need a hot race engine and gearbox to match.

post-987-14402378712_thumb.jpg

Welcome!

That car is very well known to a few Queenslanders, Geoff Pearson bought it some years back, it's previous owner was an avid pipe smoker, the interior had absorbed the pungent odours of pipe tobacco smoke!

Geoff took a while to get it out!

It's had a fair bit of development with Geoff, and should go well.

I watched him come up through into Group S, after he first asked me about the category at an Oran Park meeting in 2008!

If you get any mates keen to grab a great "bang for buck" car, after they realse the Z os a great car for thos category, there'll be a drink or two in it for you!

Fancy a trip to Qld? We're doing a two day meet, at Qld Raceway in late August, Stan Adler has put that together for us, and the usual HRCC Morgan Park meets, early May ( bit soon!) and md July!

G'day and welcome. Yes, I too know that car well. Used to live just around the corner from where I live in Brisbane. A far more developed car now though, I believe. I am currently building a 260Z Sc car, so will be pleased to compare notes along the way.

Fancy a trip to Qld? We're doing a two day meet, at Qld Raceway in late August, Stan Adler has put that together for us, and the usual HRCC Morgan Park meets, early May ( bit soon!) and md July!

Thanks Jason and Mike.

I have school age kids and it's really tough to negotiate with the better half to have 3 race weekend pass a year.

So for the next few years it would just be PI in March, Winton in August and Sandown in Nov.

Going interstate require at least 1.5 days extra and that is tough to negotiate ;)

• 2 months later...
  • Administrators

Not sure how I missed this thread, but great to see a S30z getting some lap time.

I wonder what pistons those are? Also what cylinder head is "the guru" developing for you?

• 4 weeks later...

So I had a 71B gearbox with close ratio gears built by Stewart Wilkins, it transformed the car and can I also say Stewart is a great man to deal with.

The LSD clutch was repacked.

And off I go to Winton Festival Of Speed for my first race meeting in this car.

Watch this space videos coming soon.

post-987-144023806428_thumb.jpg

Rather than put a stiffer bar on it, a bit higher spring poundage mght be the go!

When Peter K had the car in Qld, it always rocked around a bit. Since Geoff had it, he may have upped the springs a bit, i think he would have had James do it.

Need to determine what existing rates are, dont go by the stamped numbers, as they may have been trimmed a bit!

There are spring rate calculators around, based on the constant for steel, the wire diam, the o/all inner diam, outer o/all diam, total number of effective coils.

Formula does not work for progressive rate springs. Dont use those!

Thanks Jason & Richard,

I have no idea what sort springs, shocks and swaybar are in the car.

The suspension feel good from inside the car, very predictable.

Since I had the LSD clutch repacked the car felt a little understeer in fast 90+ deg turn.

I had also added power steering to the car before the race weekend.

A massive 380mm steering wheel. I couldn't hack 15 laps at twisty Winton with a smaller steering wheel, the car is super heavy to steer even though it only have 4 deg caster and 2 deg camber.

post-987-144023806663_thumb.jpg

I found my old Zed wasn't too bad for steering once going on 8" wide rims with slicks with about 5 deg of castor, front guards trimmed and as much neg as we could get with a 350mm diameter wheel. Around the pits or moving in and out of the garage was a bit of a pain, but no worse than my old valiants or falcons I ran around in.

• 1 month later...