Photo

Bellhousing for S14 into 240z conversion??

• Please log in to reply
4 replies to this topic

#1 zbuild

zbuild

• Members
  • PipPip
  • 11 posts

Posted 10 January 2008 - 01:33 PM

Hi All,
Recently the S14 box that I run behind my L28 in my 240Z started to get a bearing rattle. Im going to have to put a set of bearings through it but have been told that there is a better option than the 260Z bellhousing I am presently using. . .

With the 260Z bellhousing you are limited to using the smaller 260 bearings that fit into the bellhousing. I have heard that there is another bellhousing you can use that uses the larger bearings that come standard in the S14 box. .

Can anyone tell me what bellhousings these are?

Thanks in advance
cheers - Simon

#2 NZeder

NZeder

The 2000+ club

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 2,291 posts

Posted 10 January 2008 - 04:55 PM

Simon, I modified the 260z bellhousing to take the larger bearing rather than installing the smaller bearing on the S14 (R32 box in my case as I have a 260z, but now that I have a 240z as well, that was originally fitted with an A box = leaver further back than in the 260z so the S13/S14 box is a better choice for gear leaver location - however I have 2 x S13 boxes that I will be using for the 240z, one as a spare)

I also had to have the 260z/280zx (ie B box) bellhousing milled at the back of the same bearing hole 3mm to clear the larger gear set that is in the 71C boxes.

Now back to your question about the other bellhousing you have heard about - I think I have one - I purchased a 71C gearbox from a late model LD28 however I have not pulled the box yet but it does look to be a factory setup as the box does not look like it has ever been apart. So I would look for a LD28 bellhousing - I also heard that the last 71B LD28 boxes had the larger bearing so I think this is the one you will have heard about too.

Hope this helps.
Cheers
Mike

#3 zbuild

zbuild

• Members
  • PipPip
  • 11 posts

Posted 11 January 2008 - 08:51 AM

Cool! thanks Mike. . .
I had heard that this thing came in some sort of Datsun/nissan ute or light truck, so the LD28 side of it could be spot on.

Unfortunately you dont see much LD28 stuff here in OZ . . . or should I say. . I haven't seen much :)
  but I'll keep my eyes open. If you come across another of those bellhousings I'd be interested in talking to you about getting it sent over. . .if you dont mind of course.

Thanks for your message
cheers - Simon

#4 NZeder

NZeder

The 2000+ club

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 2,291 posts

Posted 11 January 2008 - 05:57 PM

I will keep my eye open for you, I will one day pull the LD28 71C box I have to confirm 100% that it does have the larger lower bearing housing.

Now thinking about the UTE/Truck comment - I know the D21 Navara have a short tail 71C box however the engine is a Z Series which is effectively the (well my Navara UTE anyway as it is 2.0l) L20B bottom end with a NAPS cross flow head installed. However the issue is that these bellhousing even though they have the same bolt spacing they are leaning in the wrong direction as the Z series leans towards the LHD (passenger) side of the car where as the L series leans towards the RHD side.

So with this in mind and the LD28 find that I had here in NZ maybe there is a L20B or LD20II (this is a 2000cc diesel 4 cylinder belt drive engine uses the L20B type block = same bolt pattern for the gearbox) from a 720/D21/820 UTE that has the bellhousing you seek.

Failing that you could just modify the 260z/280zx unit like I did - a visit to a good mechanist to open up the lower bearing hole and mill the rear of the housing (I also found that on my R32 box there was an oil hole that was on the stock RB bellhousing to pass oil out to the front cover and then back in via the bearings - Nissan must have done this for a reason so I had the mechanist put it into the 260z housing too)

Good luck with the find - in the mean time I will see if I can find some pics of my modified 260z bellhousing (I my have them on the home computer not this work laptop)

#5 zbuild

zbuild

• Members
  • PipPip
  • 11 posts

Posted 14 January 2008 - 08:53 AM

Thanks again Mike,
all this info is very helpful. . . armed with that info I might go sniffing around some nissan/datsun wreckers and gearbox places to see what they have lying around.

Much appreciate your help. I haven't been driving my z much because of the rattle and had to take it out on the weekend because the battery was getting a bit low. . . Ahhhh I forgot how much fun it is. . .so now Ive got an incentive to get my finger out and fix this problem.

thanks again and cheers - Simon

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users