Project BLU 260

• 2 weeks later...
  • 2 weeks later...

Today I mannaged to get the exhaust all tacked up.

Its All 2" 316 stainless tube apart from the muffler and catalytic converter which is 409 stainless. I decided to go with a stacked style of tips on it, it should look and sound good ☺ the plan is to now set up a purge and start welding.

20160909_171848_zpsoqtvvn1w.jpg

I thought I would chuck up a little stainless tube tip ☺ unless you have 3 arms so you can tack, put in filler and hold at the same time! This is something that has saved me over and over again, especially working alone on stainless tube.

This is a stainless tube clamp and by simply drilling aprox a 16mm hole it acts as a tacking clamp with a pair of vice grips it works great and holds it perfect as you can see.

So if you ever decide to do a stainless tube exhaust grab a couple of clamps they pay for themselves.

20160909_172138_zpscq8ovdb0.jpg

20160909_172106_zpseo5ugc9e.jpg

Enjoy ☺ BLU

Edited by blu260z

• 2 weeks later...

Exhaust is finally all welded up and bolted on and sounds great. Glad I went with a triflo muffler instead of straight through otherwise it would have been way to loud. According to a free db meter on my phone its at 84db at idle so well under the legal 96db for South Aus.

There were a few changes to the exhaust, originally it dogleged slightly to clear all rear suspension. However this made the exhaust sit 80mm off the ground, so that got chopped out and now a straight run from the muffler goes under the rear suspension. Giving me a very nice 115mm lowest point ground clearance so that should keep the law happy ☺

20160922_190441_zpsetkeisiw.jpg

20160922_190423_zps7cmmh3bh.jpg

And just a picture of the girl working on her tan.

20160922_155502-1-1_zpsl38kp2gv.jpg

Nice work on the exhaust. Do you know why they use 409 stainless for the mufflers and Cat rather than 316? Why did you need to run a cat? I was thinking of doing a stainless exhaust on a stock L26 with just a hot dog muffler. Would that work or be too loud?

Cheers

Nice work on the exhaust. Do you know why they use 409 stainless for the mufflers and Cat rather than 316? Why did you need to run a cat? I was thinking of doing a stainless exhaust on a stock L26 with just a hot dog muffler. Would that work or be too loud?

Cheers

Hey Brabham

409 stainless is cheaper but it also copes better with the heating and cooling of an exhaust system. I used 316 everywhere else as the tube isn't where the heat is held for long periods of time. I went with the cat to cut the fumes and to also take some of the rasp out of the exhaust note. Its up near the gearbox so stops that underbody drone.

Oh way to loud a hotdog is even worse than a straight through muffler you may aswell not even have it in there. I have had noisy, droning car exhausts before and the loves wears thin pretty quick, plus the added attention from the police

• 2 months later...

Work is still getting done on BLU ☺ I have recently been chasing a low vacuum at idle issue. After searching all the standard issues it has still left me scratching my head. I am sure its something that can be sorted and I havent allowed this problem to bog me down so I have continued to move on.

I have started working on fixing up some of the harder components of the interior like dash and centre console. I was very pleased with the results especially considering it is not a very expensive task. I followed the tutorial on here to do the dash and it turned out great.

I cut out around the cracks, filled with expanding foam, cut it all back and then sanded it back, filled it over with bog and then sanded. Final job was to paint it all in duplicolor bed armour.

20161124_192442_zps3jgqo8ls.jpg

20161124_195922_zpslnux5q4x.jpg

20161210_114939_zpsrsxkk6uk.jpg

20161210_160552_zpsgbyl41lr.jpg

The same will be done on the centre console once its all filled and fibre glassed. I was lucky to have most of the centre console broken peices in the ash tray. So far parts have been glued back together and fibre glassed underneath. It will now be reofilled/ glassfiller to give a little more strength than standard bog.I will also make a bracket to support the choke leaver so this problem will never happen again ☺ I will keep updates coming..

image16_zps7zghasqj.jpg

20161209_155514_zpshknmojsv.jpg

Chris ☺

Edited by blu260z

Excellent job Chris. I still have to do the same job, well dash at least. Since I live just around the corner and you are obviously now an expert I can just drop mine around for the same treatment - just jokes, where did you get your Duplicolour armour from?

Thanks guys ☺ jeff you are more than welcome to drop around and have a look. I got mine from supercheap auto. I only used 2 cans for both the dash and the centre console.

Interesting Peter I would like it to sit a little lower but after building the exhaust I dont think I could go lower. I tucked the exhaust as much as I could and I have 120mm ground clearance.

Chris

The overall texture is hard to explain. Even I was suprised when I first touched it!! It feels similar to the original but I would say it feels more course. I have included a up-close picture to show the texture hope this helps a little more.

Chris

20161214_181959_zpstlkiwfzp.jpg

Thanks for the photo Chris. I understand what you mean, its looks abit rougher than the OEM finish but its definitely looks alot smoother than most textured bed liner sprays available.

I'll probably go with the same paint you used or if I can source one; Upol Plas 4F - fine texture coating paint. 

• 1 month later...

Hi guys

I have been quiet for the last few months due to work commitments and unfortunately this will continue on for a little bit longer. However I did get a chance on my holidays that was eventually cut short due to work to paint BLU ☺. I am very happy with the way it turned out especially considering it was my first attempt at painting a car. It is in no way perfect and I can now see more time should have been spent on finding those little dents. But all in all I am happy ???? and guess what!!! Its BLUE. Here is a few pictures of it inside fresh off the gun, still needing to be wetsanded and buffed back. The colour is very close to the original 307 but with a heap more metalic. It looks amazing in the sun!!

The link below has a small video of the blue in the sun

20170120_083314_zpshsjwevge.jpg

20170120_083212_zps9yypacbj.jpg

http://s1302.photobucket.com/user/chrispsawyer/media/20170111_134306_zpssvu5v7zs.mp4.html

Edited by blu260z

• 2 months later...

Just a quick update on Project BLU. I have now finished wet sanding and I am definitely thankful of that!!

I am working on a few small things like re-installing the interior and puting other parts back on. I have a carpet kit on its way that should be here this week and I managed to visit Clark Rubber in the search for a door seal material. I should be able to work out soon if its worth getting a rubber kit or making my own door and hatch seals and buying the windscreen/hatch rubbers.

The bumpers are also in for some satin black powdercoat ????

I am hopefully on track for an October finish but I would like it to be done a little earlier to allow for a good shakedown.

Here are a few pictures to keep peoples eyes happy ????

Unfortunately one picture will not post in its rotated form

post-103875-0-06310900-1493547474_thumb.jpg

post-103875-0-87329900-1493547750_thumb.jpg

Edited by blu260z

• 4 months later...

Just a quick update guys. I have now got the glass back in, powdercoated bumpers on, new door/ window seals and FINALLY the carpet installed. I have recently changed careers and time is pretty scarce unfortunately, however I did get a chance to get a permit and take it out for a quick spin the other day. As always the first drive in 16 years was a little bit nervous as I listened for every strange noise, but the bigger problem I had was no power over 3500rmp.

On closer inspection with a timing light I found the engine would not advance past 25deg advance !! I messed around and checked timing and carbs and everything was OK so switched my attention to ignition. I removed the distributor cap and found a very black/sooty rotor button so that cant help, so I have now ordered a new cap, rotor and leads so hopefully this sorts out my issues. If not atleast I can eliminate those items!

I will post some pictures soon hopefully, happy Zeding guys.

Chris 

Edited by blu260z

the engine would not advance past 25deg advance !! 

Check the weights and vacuum base plate are moving freely. I've seen cars that sit for extended periods with similar symptoms caused by fully or partially seized advance mechanisms.

Check the weights and vacuum base plate are moving freely. I've seen cars that sit for extended periods with similar symptoms caused by fully or partially seized advance mechanisms.

Thanks I will look into that. The vacuum plate moves but I have never checked to see if it has full movement, I may even consider dissembling and cleaning it to ensure its ok.