#41 d3c0y

d3c0y

The 2000+ club

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 2,847 posts
  • Tagline:Forum Jerk

Posted 16 March 2015 - 10:45 PM

Gav: I don't think period correct modifications are an edge case, especially when so many are having a teary about cutting guards and fitting factory option flares. But in essence we agree.
Also Doug doesn't think L-Series are boring, he just knows he can't have a faster one than me so he had to find something else hahaha. He is referring to standard spec zeds being boring to drive vs our resto mods with big brakes and coilovers etc.

theremm: i don't think the stock auto is worth keeping imo. People that bought autos wanted them as every day cars and status symbols when they were new. Enthusiasts want manuals and auto is so sllloowwww by today's standard.

DayoZ: I think your car is worth low $20s to be honest and it's because its kind of in both camps. It is only mildly mechanically[/font][/font]modified like the "standard car crowd" but has an L28 plus had a lot of body customisations[/font] done to it, that in my opinion go against popular conventions for modifying Zeds. [/font]

#42 theremm

theremm

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 392 posts
  • Tagline:New Member

Posted 16 March 2015 - 10:49 PM

Can anyone enlighten us as to whether there is anything on a zed that indicates it was an auto from the factory? If not, there is no reason to keep an car as an auto for originality's sake (unless you have dealer delivery paperwork or similar...).

I think the gearbox crossmembers were the same for auto/manual, not sure if any bodywork was any different though.

The compliance plate specifies that it was an auto from factory. Not sure if manuals are specifically marked however, seeing as these were the more standard of the two..

Attached Thumbnails

• 45331_ae3ac83f540e2522327973a5e8b8f01a603cf33e.jpg

#43 gav240z

gav240z

Administrator

• Administrators
  • 12,386 posts
  • Tagline:Jack of all trades, master of none.

Posted 16 March 2015 - 11:17 PM

Manuals aren't listed on compliance plate if my 70 Z is anything to go by. The 72 doesn't have a compliance plate.

#44 gilltech

gilltech

The 1000+ club

• Donating Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 1,077 posts

Posted 16 March 2015 - 11:38 PM

Without a Aus-market-new compliance plate give-away, I think you'd struggle to determine whether a Zed was originally an auto & not the manual it is now???
Shifter plate on the console vs leather boot, & maybe the rubber boot below?
Diff ratio is different on the 240s isn't it?, & the 260 manuals had a R200 instead of the auto's R180 anyway.
And vacuum fittings on the back of the motor presumably if not removed.
Can't think of anything else.

My NZ-new 260 doesn't have a compliance plate of any sort.

#45 Lurch ™

Lurch ™

Curator of the 'Gavin Collection'

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 5,602 posts
  • Tagline:In my Den of Rust & Sin

Posted 17 March 2015 - 06:59 AM

Must have been a slow day at the Google Hub...

A Zed is only worth what someone is willing to pay for it.
And if a person is so worried about 'values', sell the Zed & go play on the stock market.

Personally, my Zed is valueless because it's not, nor will it ever be, 'For Sale' :)

#46 44014

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 817 posts
  • Tagline:Garage San Maru

Posted 17 March 2015 - 07:35 AM

I said slow stock boring L series Gav I never said I didn't like L series engines but yes stock ones are boring..

#47 cracker

cracker

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 413 posts
  • Tagline:James

Posted 17 March 2015 - 09:16 AM

The compliance plate specifies that it was an auto from factory. Not sure if manuals are specifically marked however, seeing as these were the more standard of the two..

Ah, bummer. However I agree with others that it should not affect value if changed. Probably no value in keeping the auto but it's only worth scrap value to get rid of. Keep it if you have the space.

#48 44014

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 817 posts

Posted 17 March 2015 - 09:43 AM

Ah, bummer. However I agree with others that it should not affect value if changed. Probably no value in keeping the auto but it's only worth scrap value to get rid of. Keep it if you have the space.

The cut out in the tunnel is different from manual to auto.
Well it is in my early 74 260Z 2 seater

#49 cracker

cracker

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 413 posts

Posted 17 March 2015 - 10:45 AM

A Zed is only worth what someone is willing to pay for it.
And if a person is so worried about 'values', sell the Zed & go play on the stock market.

Value is important for a variety of reasons - insurance mostly, but overall financial position with regard to other commitments ie. home loans, other debt etc.

And while it was probably a flippant comment, the classic car market is a very legitimate and profitable place to play with money - and far more fun than the stock market!

#50 gav240z

gav240z

Administrator

• Administrators
  • 12,386 posts

Posted 17 March 2015 - 10:57 AM

Value is important for a variety of reasons - insurance mostly, but overall financial position with regarding to other commitments ie. home loans, other debt etc.

And while it was probably a flippant comment, the classic car market is a very legitimate and profitable place to play with money - and far more fun than the stock market!

Agreed, plus no capital gains tax. Pick the right classic car and you can make a lot of money. If you bought a Toyota 2000GT a few years ago, you'd be laughing right now, or if you bought and kept a genuine Phase III Falcon.

Having value recognised in such cars means that cars that may have never been restored do get restored and people are happy to pump money into those restorations.

*Slow day at Googles*

#51 Zedstar

Zedstar

Advanced Member

• Donating Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 56 posts

Posted 17 March 2015 - 04:10 PM

A bit of overlap below, but what I think and see is...

1. Non originality.
2. Previous owners and botched repairs.
3. Poor bodywork and poor body repairs. (bog rockets)
4. Engine swaps away from the L-Banger. Yes I went there...
5. Non original / or non period correct colours and hues.
6. Lack of attention to detail with restoration. I see this a lot, skimp on the small stuff etc..
7. Trying to make them into something they're not, which encompasses horrid body kits and aftermarket accessories.
8. Interior re-trim kits that don't retain the original look.
9. Sunroofs - those bloody big holes in the roof tin.

Adding flares to a 260z 2 seater? I don't know if 260z's are quite at the same desirability as 240z's in terms of collector value. I think a lot of people still want the 2 seater with ZG look with a front spoiler, 432-R rear wing, big rota's and a turbo straight 6. The kind of person who wants an early S30z (I would includes myself in this category) goes for a car that is as original looking at possible. Where as the later 260z crowd is more likely to be the "into stance", "big turbo's" demographic and therefore probably likes the flared look etc..

No doubt I managed to offend someone here....

Couldn't agree more. Recently restored my 240 close to factory spec and insurer valued it at $40k+. Matching numbers/originality  are vital for most discerning buyers. Cannot understand in modifying a 240 to the extent that it is essentially 240Z panels. If you find one of the best engines ever made boring , buy a Skyline.

#52 bluerat

bluerat

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 540 posts

Posted 17 March 2015 - 07:00 PM

Love your last line Ozzie240!!  I'd also add..' or a Cosmo.." LOL

#53 HS30-H

HS30-H

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 610 posts

Posted 17 March 2015 - 07:40 PM

4. Engine swaps away from the L-Banger. Yes I went there...

Wondering where I stand with this one...?!

Posted Image

#54 zed74

zed74

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 402 posts
  • Tagline:New Member

Posted 17 March 2015 - 08:26 PM

Posted Image

At the TOP of the tree Alan! :)

#55 cracker

cracker

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 413 posts

Posted 17 March 2015 - 08:41 PM

SR20 FTW!!

#56 44014

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 817 posts

Posted 17 March 2015 - 09:21 PM

Couldn't agree more. Recently restored my 240 close to factory spec and insurer valued it at $40k+. Matching numbers/originality  are vital for most discerning buyers. Cannot understand in modifying a 240 to the extent that it is essentially 240Z panels. If you find one of the best engines ever made boring , buy a Skyline.

Dude if you find a stock l series fast... All power to yah.
I personally would prefer not to be beaten by a spirited Corolla when out enjoying my car.

#57 gav240z

gav240z

Administrator

• Administrators
  • 12,386 posts

Posted 17 March 2015 - 10:00 PM

Posted Image

That's weak sauce.. No torque. An L engine makes umpteen more HP. In my opinion that sawp is going backwards. It is just a Mercedes copy anyway ;).

I suspect you missed this post?
http://www.viczcar.c....html#msg166145

#58 Zedstar

Zedstar

Advanced Member

• Donating Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 56 posts

Posted 17 March 2015 - 10:13 PM

Dude if you find a stock l series fast... All power to yah.
I personally would prefer not to be beaten by a spirited Corolla when out enjoying my car.

Pretty immature comment and entirely off topic.

#59 HS30-H

HS30-H

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 610 posts

Posted 17 March 2015 - 10:38 PM

That's weak sauce.. No torque. An L engine makes umpteen more HP. In my opinion that sawp is going backwards. It is just a Mercedes copy anyway ;).

You're officially off my Christmas card list, Gav.

And I'm actually looking forward to being 'beaten' by a Corolla that's being driven spiritedly.

Seriously though, I think it's good to talk about this stuff. And it's clear that the zeitgeist of today is quite different than, say, the zeitgeist of 10 years ago. There's still a whole rainbow of taste and preference, but there's been a noticeable shift in the scene as a whole now that the effect of social media has really kicked in. 

#60 44014

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 817 posts

Posted 18 March 2015 - 09:14 AM

Pretty immature comment and entirely off topic.

It is exactly on topic in regards to value of a Z.
And those in glass houses should not throw the first stone....

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users