SU flat top something doesn't look right

blu260z

Ok where do I start.

I havent even attempted to tune the carbies as I don't have a radiator so cant get the car upto temp. SoI thought I would take a look tonight get my head around the su flattop :)  I had a flick through my 260z service manual to find all my idle and mixture screws. Nothing on the carbies relates to the book  ??? I realised the previous owner has removed all the emissions gear on them but other stuff doesn't add up 

Like idle speed and mixture screws

Its a 1976 2+2 260z

Thanks guys

20150312_194608_zpsptsmtqny.jpg

20150312_194631_zpstc6iofod.jpg

• Administrators

They don't look like 260z Hitachi Flat top carbs. They look significantly smaller.

Yours look like they are off a 4 banger L-GATA.

http://datsun1200.com/modules/mediawiki/index.php?title=Hitachi_Twin_Carb

See also here:

http://www.viczcar.com/forum/index.php?topic=7168.0

Any of the flat tops make suitable paper weights. Those ones look like reconditioned 200B carbs or somesuch.

Yes the flat tops on '73-on Zeds can go OK, -ish, (the correct sized ones) but the problem is that they were designed for the 70's oil crisis era & emissions & lean burn & there's not a lot one can do with them. Or get parts. So everybody bins them & fits the 240Z's round tops or British SUs, and blanks off the 260's emissions pipes & tubes. And are glad they did.

Looks like I will be selling these to a 4cyl datto owner and will be looking for a set of su 240z round tops. But honestly why would you go to all that effort of putting on a set of 4cyl flat tops when the car didnt even run in the first place, might as well have said sorry mate it has no carbies they where shot!!!

• Administrators

Looks like I will be selling these to a 4cyl datto owner and will be looking for a set of su 240z round tops. But honestly why would you go to all that effort of putting on a set of 4cyl flat tops when the car didnt even run in the first place, might as well have said sorry mate it has no carbies they where shot!!!

There is no point questioning what previous owners do, they just do these things. I've stopped questioning their motives and realised they are mostly all idiots with no clue. HAHA.

Surely they would constantly be starving the engine of fuel

Depends, if they've been modified with bigger jets etc might work OK, they look pretty clean as if they've been professionally rebuilt, looks like someone has gone to some trouble, as normally carbs of that era are well oxidized by now whereas those have been polished.

Why someone would bother with those when they could just as easily sourced some SU's with all the parts back-up available, who knows.

However, the only way to know if they're up to the job is to try them.