Japanese Market Console Switches

240Z_au

• 2 weeks later...

Yes they are Japanese home market Z park light switches, some sets were lit & some not.

I've only ever seen them on ex-Japan-new Zeds imported to NZ as used cars.

So you could inquire with the NZ Zed club; there were quite a number of 200Zs (typically had the smaller motor) imported years ago, many were rusty so may have been parted out, someone might just have a set.

Probably better luck though hunting down a set in Japan.

Might pay to hunt around on the Europe sites or UK as I think they were fitted to the cars that went there so they could turn on just one side of the parking lights when parking half on the side walk and half on the street?

Justin

Certainly that's what they were for. I've not seen them fitted to a couple of ex-UK-new RHD cars that have come to this part of the world, only ex-Japan or Asia new cars, but could have been on some. You could make inquiries via the UK Z car website, & there must be clubs in Germany etc. But I think Japan would be your best bet.

I don't know if there was an 'international' wiring loom so the park light switch wiring is already built into the wiring loom for the 240 &/or 260 or not. Are you expecting to plug straight in?

My car is a very early 260 so similar in spec & parts to a late 240. There are several 'spare' loom plugs under the console for which purpose or 'option' I can only guess at.

Foglamp or driving lamps - yes, have got that, wiring extends to front.

Park lights?

Seatbelt warning? maybe, later 260s I thought.

Low fuel? again, later 260s I thought.

(Electric mirrors - no, late cars maybe?).

(Electric windows - no, late cars maybe?).

• Administrators

I believe there is an additional glove placement on the JDM cars that is used for the parkers. I don't think they are fitted to our cars, it has a block off plate. Would need a photo of the rear light housing to show you what I mean.

*Edit look here: P1050980-Kopie.jpg

On the right hand side in between the 2 bulb holders is a smaller circular block off tab. That's where the parker switch is usually connected to a globe I believe.

If you look at the way USDM S30z rear lights work you'll see they don't look like they light up fully.

Just checked, my spare 260 taillights don't have any additional bulb location. Mind you, that doesn't mean anything, it can be done within the wiring, like with American cars.

But those extra locations aren't necessarily for Park lights, could also be for Fog lights, required in some parts of the world.

That does look like it.

That's not the Japanese market parking light switch. And don't bother looking for them on UK cars because they never had them either.

The correct switch has two rockers side-by-side in one housing. It needs the whole system (switches, sub-loom, relay, lamp holders F&R etc etc) to make it all work properly.

I've got a spare one, but I'd need to be convinced to let it go. It's not the sort of thing that's all that easy to source when you really need one...

post-1250-144023785343_thumb.jpg

post-1250-144023785347_thumb.jpg

Hi. Do you need them?..What sort of "convincing" do you need?

Well, I've got three Japanese market cars that they were fitted to as OEM parts, so I could potentially need a spare at some point in the future.

Turning them into money is not all that much of an incentive to me to be honest. Have you got any interesting stuff to swap?

240Z_au, what is the story, presume you have a Japanese market car in which you already have switches which are stuffed, or are you just looking to add them to a 240Z? because if the latter then as HS-30-H pointed out there are other components of the circuitry required too if they are to work.

One option would be to peruse the car parts forums for other old Jap cars, starting with the better equipped Nissan Datsun models of the same period as the Zed. Maybe too many decades have already gone by to find much of anything, but 240Ks, 240Cs, & other models would have had similar if not almost identical switches for park lights, fog lamps, remote mirrors etc. Graphics can be changed.

• Administrators

Alan have you got any photos of what these switches do? I assume you can control the parker on each side of the car individually? Were they a Japanese market requirement for road registration?

Alan have you got any photos of what these switches do? I assume you can control the parker on each side of the car individually? Were they a Japanese market requirement for road registration?

Yes, requirement for Japanese law. Parking at night on unlit roads.

The switch pair just allows you to select Left side or Right side, with Ignition off, illumination of front and rear sidelights as a pair. So if you parked on the left side of an unlit road at night you selected R side illumination, and if you parked on right hand side of the road for any reason you selected L side illumination. Just a safety thing, supposedly allowing a parked car to be seen earlier. We had a similar thing in the UK during the 50s and 60s as I vaguely remember, but not now. I notice my everyday driver Audi A6 will do a similar thing via the indicator switch though, so maybe its still a requirement somewhere?

Simplified instructions in owners manual:

post-1250-144023785449_thumb.jpg

Thanks. I'll just have to buy on Jap auctions. I have wiring ready and want to fill that 3rd empty hole with that switch.

BTW. The left/right parker selection is an Euro thing from late 60's. Originally introduced as parkers in winter drained batteries and law required to have a parker light on at night when on the side of unlit road. Good battery could easily handle full night with parkers on , on one side. Parking was allowed on both sides of the road, therefore the need for separate  L & R side. This is a standard Euro feature on all Euro car.

• Administrators

I didn't see any then all of a sudden I've seen 2 auctions recently for these.

http://page11.auctions.yahoo.co.jp/jp/auction/n142396951#enlargeimg

silver_hiro32-img600x450-1427783215dza81e6935.jpg

However I think this is the S31 (a.k.a 260z/280z console type switch) the earlier S30z style seems to be more narrow to fit in the location shown in Alan's reference photo.

That one looks the part style-wise but might have to slightly enlarge the console opening.

However the plug will be different.

Don't think it would be a plug'n'play would it? Other bits req'd as Alan alluded to.

But it would be nice to fill in those cheap and nasty looking blanks in our consoles.

• Administrators

I'm a simple pleb with simple needs, all I want in my AU delivered 240z is working hazard functions. Yes I know there is a thread on here.. :) But why wasn't this a requirement in 1970 I don't know?

I didn't see any then all of a sudden I've seen 2 auctions recently for these.

http://page11.auctions.yahoo.co.jp/jp/auction/n142396951#enlargeimg

silver_hiro32-img600x450-1427783215dza81e6935.jpg

However I think this is the S31 (a.k.a 260z/280z console type switch) the earlier S30z style seems to be more narrow to fit in the location shown in Alan's reference photo.

Must be. Looks exactly the same as in my '76