Help! Power (not electricity) problems.

Jackson.Zed

Hey all sorry to bother you but I need your help!

I'm 16 and my mechanical skills are brief as my ages has restricted courses.

The problem: my datsun 260z with original L26 has no power. It starts and idles (sounds different to normal)

When put into drive or any gear (yes it's "currently automatic") it stalls unless you give it a little throttle but it doesn't move, at ALL!

How it happened. Well one day I pulled it out it the shed and gave it a wash. When I put it back in the shed it started dying down. (Sounded like running out of fuel which is possible as it's a project car and never filled it).

Resent projects, resprayed the rocker cover and resealed it.

All leads were numbered so I didn't mix them up putting them back.

Possible I mixed then numbers up but doubt it, I'm 16 but I can count to 6 ;) 

My suspicions: 1 well firstly if it did run out of fuel it may have sucked up sediments in the tank and blocked a line or filter restricting fuel from entering making it only burn enough to idle.

2 because of only filling 1/4 of the tank up, condensations may have formed and the fuel may have water in it. The water and the fuel should seperated but it still may effect it.

3The points may be a little worn causing a weak ignition. (Least of my suspicions)

4 compression may be a factor as I doubt anythings been changed for a while. A valve may not be sealing or the rings are stuffed. But if the rings are stuffed oil normally come through to the top and burns making very white smoke?

As I said I'm 16 and I'm only briefly mechanical. Please help me and explain things well.  Thank you everyone that try's to help .

Sorry if there's any mistakes I'm on my phone as  I'm not home. Thanks all.

Hey Jackson pull off your distributor cap and look up inside it to see if there is any condensation, if so let it dry out. If there is any moisture in there this causes the the spark to short out all over the place within the distributor cap and not sending it to the right spark plug.

Justin

Did it run OK at any time? Has it started playing up after what you did?

Loss of power sounding electrical, maybe timing out by a long way, coil to distributor lead earthing out.

Only way it would be fuel if it starts and runs Ok is if the fuel pump is not working or a fuel blockage

Pull off distributor and check to see if it rotor turns with a firing order of 1,5,3,6,2,4. You might have the ignition leads in reverse order. Also check timing.

Try pulling fuel from a jerrycan instead of the fuel tank and see if that changes anything.

Try pulling off a spark plug lead one at a time whilst running.

Check the engine rpm drops with each one and then replace and it should rise again.

If the rpm does not drop when removing a plug lead that cycliner is not firing and you may have water in the electrical system or maybe have the plug leads mixed up

It could be the plugs there is old fuel in there and only runs for a very short time.

But it does sound like electrical/timing.

It did start  doing this two weeks after  the project.

I've done that it drops but not by much. It's like they are all firing weak..

Hey Justin thank you for asking. It's still currently at my mates place and I haven't got to it yet.

Taking a new fuel filter up soon, a compression gauge and I'll check the plugs while checking the compression.

I'll check the electrical a first.