#1 blu260z

blu260z

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 265 posts

Posted 28 February 2015 - 03:41 PM

Hi guys and girls
First time post I recently purchased a 260z from laz on this site from Victoria and got it trucked to Adelaide quick question. The clutch pedal was flat to the floor so I resealed the mater cylinder and bled the system and now I have a great feel on the clutch pedal. But when I go to put it into gear it just grinds :( I have good movement on the operating cylinder aswell. What next guys what else could be wrong ?

#2 Retro Z

Retro Z

The 1000+ club

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 1,398 posts
  • Tagline:73' 240z and 72’ 240z

Posted 28 February 2015 - 04:39 PM

Maybe the gearbox wasn't installed properly and the clutch disk isnt properly aligned on the shaft and is jammed up against the pressure plate. Or the throwout bearing collar is too short not allowing the full amount of travel needed to fully disengage. Try using a slightly longer bolt/rod in place of the current rod on the slave cylinder. Also do you have a aftermarket clutch master? The aftermarket ones have a shorter pushrod than required and gave me similar issues to what you are having.

#3 dat2kman

dat2kman

The 2000+ club

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 4,029 posts
  • Tagline:going sailing, see ya later!

Posted 28 February 2015 - 04:56 PM

Was it driving ok before?
If so, issue will be with clutch hdraulic system, you may need to bleed both master cyl, as well as slave cyl.
Have someone look under car ( use axle stands etc) while you push pedal down, to ensure clutch slave cylinder is mving the clutch forka "good" pedal does not necessarily ,ean the clutch fork is mving fully!

#4 blu260z

blu260z

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 265 posts

Posted 28 February 2015 - 05:18 PM

Thanks guys no the car wasnt running hasn't run for 14 years till yesterday. The master cylinder is original all that was done was a seal kit. But I am hoping tomorrow I can chase up a slave cylinder seal kit so I can rule that out before I start ripping into the clutch

#5 chris240

chris240

The 2000+ club

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 2,186 posts
  • Tagline:When in doubt...mumble.

Posted 28 February 2015 - 05:44 PM

Gearboxes and clutches dont like sitting around.....especially for 14 years !!  :P
"Could" need to remove the gearbox...?
Just wait for one of the lads to respond...

#6 Scoota G

Scoota G

The 2000+ club

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 4,213 posts
  • Tagline:Mark

Posted 28 February 2015 - 06:11 PM

It's probably all seized together. Redneck way is to pull off the coil lead and start in gear and operate the clutch a couple of times. Spray some WD40 with a nozzle in the clutch fork opening may help too

#7 PB260Z

PB260Z

Peter (PB)

• Moderators
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 3,237 posts
  • Tagline:Must stop buying new toys for the workshop.

Posted 28 February 2015 - 06:45 PM

It's probably all seized together. Redneck way is to pull off the coil lead and start in gear and operate the clutch a couple of times. Spray some WD40 with a nozzle in the clutch fork opening may help too

Agree most likely siezed together, and you need to break them apart.
Scoota's idea usually works (not sure about the WD) it worked on my 280. if not try rocking the car in gear with the clutch depressed.

If neither of thse ideas work, you may be up for box out and manually separate them.

Good luck

PB

#8 blu260z

blu260z

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 265 posts

Posted 28 February 2015 - 08:30 PM

Hopefully I can get away with not splitting the box away. I just want to rule out the slave cylinder tomorrow.

#9 oldmates260z

oldmates260z

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 752 posts

Posted 28 February 2015 - 10:24 PM

If you have good feel on the clutch the and you can see the slave cylinder shaft move the hydraulics are all good.

The clutch plate is seized to the flywheel so when you push in the clutch, while the pressure plate releases the pressure on the clutch plate, the clutch is still stuck to the flywheel and this spins the clutch plate and the first motion shaft.

I used to get around this by towing the car in gear with the clutch depressed, comes off in a jiffy. Or use Scoota's idea first as that is easier.

#10 chris240

chris240

The 2000+ club

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 2,186 posts
  • Tagline:When in doubt...mumble.

Posted 01 March 2015 - 07:11 AM

Even now if I lay-up my zed for a period of time I depress the clutch pedal and wedge a 90x45 between it and the seat.
I once bought a type 3 VW and had the plates sieze after been stored for many years, the 'redneck" method also worked for me..  (Or should it be the bogan method Scoot !)

#11 blu260z

blu260z

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 265 posts

Posted 01 March 2015 - 03:56 PM

Good news guys gave the slave cylinder a service as the piston was seized half way and depressed the clutch and rolled it in gear. All good now  :) good start to the forum guys glad you can help a newbie out 👍 I will hopefully start a bit of a build profile for it soon

:)

#12 PB260Z

PB260Z

Peter (PB)

• Moderators
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 3,237 posts
  • Tagline:Must stop buying new toys for the workshop.

Posted 01 March 2015 - 04:06 PM

Good news guys gave the slave cylinder a service as the piston was seized half way and depressed the clutch and rolled it in gear. All good now  :) good start to the forum guys glad you can help a newbie out 👍 I will hopefully start a bit of a build profile for it soon

:)

Glad you got it sorted.

Cheers

PB

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users