vspecrob

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 41 posts
  • Tagline:New Member

Posted 20 February 2015 - 02:41 PM

Help Please...

Can anyone tell me if I can use the 280ZX half shafts (CV's) in a 240Z with a r200 LSD 3.90 diff?  Is there too much work for this to be adapted to the 240z?

Does the 280ZX have the four bolts to attach to the 240z?

If not, is it just better getting drive shaft (uni's) fitted?

Any other options would be appreciated  :)

Just to help those who need a little background to help me, I am fitting an RB25det with between 350 and 400HP at the motor is what I'm planning (That's the plan)

Cheers

#2 zcar63

zcar63

Advanced Member

• Donating Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 93 posts

Posted 20 February 2015 - 07:50 PM

Hi
I bought 280zx cv shafts to fit into my 240z ,i was told "just bolts straight in mate" the CV shafts i have,have 6 bolts in three pairs at the wheel end , you will need the matching companion flange to bolt the CV too.The diff end of the shaft is a push in item retained by a snap ring.The drivers side was correct length .BUT the passenger side WOULD NOT FIT as the diff is offset 25mm, by design or accident i'm not sure.I manufactured my own splined companion flange .My advice is measure the CV shaft and companion flange first before you buy.Their may be different types of shaft, but this is my experience.
Cheers david

#3 vspecrob

vspecrob

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 41 posts

Posted 20 February 2015 - 10:38 PM

Hi
I bought 280zx cv shafts to fit into my 240z ,i was told "just bolts straight in mate" the CV shafts i have,have 6 bolts in three pairs at the wheel end , you will need the matching companion flange to bolt the CV too.The diff end of the shaft is a push in item retained by a snap ring.The drivers side was correct length .BUT the passenger side WOULD NOT FIT as the diff is offset 25mm, by design or accident i'm not sure.I manufactured my own splined companion flange .My advice is measure the CV shaft and companion flange first before you buy.Their may be different types of shaft, but this is my experience.
Cheers david

Cheers David,

With the amount of power I will be wanting, I'm wondering if the uni's will be fine... There is talk of vibration in "uni's", but whether its a pain in the arse... no idea.. if it's worth going CV's ... Wolf Creek ... maybe ... not sure.. $900...  So therein lies my dilemma...

More reading/research, obviously.. 

#4 dat2kman

dat2kman

The 2000+ club

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 4,033 posts
  • Tagline:going sailing, see ya later!

Posted 21 February 2015 - 12:23 AM

Go the Stew Wilkins cv setup.
They are done properly.

#5 vspecrob

vspecrob

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 41 posts

Posted 23 February 2015 - 11:04 AM

Go the Stew Wilkins cv setup.
They are done properly.

Thanks Dat2kman...  SWmotorsports, is quite pricey at almost $1800 for just CVs... Do you know if DR30 CV's are a direct fit?

#6 dat2kman

dat2kman

The 2000+ club

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 4,033 posts
  • Tagline:going sailing, see ya later!

Posted 23 February 2015 - 01:07 PM

Dr30 and s130 cv ends dont mate to s30
SWMotorsports may/will require them as exchange units, and this may bring their price down.

A Brissy member on here has just ordered some from SWM, and is sending a set from a Z32 down as exchange, IIRC the cost came down to around $1600

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users