#41 sco_aus

sco_aus

The 2000+ club

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 2,484 posts
  • Tagline:Scott

Posted 12 June 2006 - 08:39 PM

Well I took the plunge into the same rear disc setup we were discussing earlier, I gotta try and get the car ready for the Dutton and its gonna take 4-6 weeks to get here, so I'm out. I'll let you know how they go though.

#42 Toecutter

Toecutter

The 2000+ club

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 2,274 posts

Posted 12 June 2006 - 10:09 PM

sco_aus, what set up did you go for at the rear?

#43 sco_aus

sco_aus

The 2000+ club

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 2,484 posts

Posted 13 June 2006 - 04:07 PM

http://cgi.ebay.com/...:B:EOIBSA:AU:11
Maxima rear callipers and cross drilled rotors. (yeh i know i said i dont like crossdrilled, but I think the 260 has different rear spindels so I will probly have to get different ones anyway).

#44 RBZ 260

RBZ 260

The 1000+ club

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 1,174 posts
  • Tagline:S chassis Nutter

Posted 14 June 2006 - 09:14 AM

my setup may not be as easy for some guys but becuse i changed all heap of stuff it may be an option if doing similar things after.

my has 5 stud conversion and cv type driveshafts also power steering.

also wanted 4 pot cal at the front and disk at rear.

FRONT

i used rx7 s4/5 turbo calipers but catch is i also used rx7 strut and hubs. reason for this is i got power steering at the front and wanted 5 stud rims and 4 spot calipers. nothing from nissan stable could do the cut because of the power steering being mounted on rear. but rx7 does have at the front. also i wanted new type of struts with small bottom seat which also rx7 has.

so at the front i got vented 297mm rotors with 4 pot cal and ease of using rx7 coil over at later stage.

REAR

i got r200 lsd diff at the back and didnt like the uni type driveshafts. and the diff came with 4 bolt type cvs. also needing rear 5 stud i ended up getting comlete trailing arms from oz z31 turbo with rotors axles and calipers and handbrake cables. both for $200.

the deal was to use z31 axles with 5 stud.also turbo z31 has same companion flange as my r200 from r31 2 door.

i was hoping to find bearing that will fit 260z outside with 300zx inside. but problem was the early zed has imperial bearing size while z31 metric.

on the end i go tthe hubs machined to suit the bearings.

funny thing is the rear bracket that was welded was cut off and cleaned up but the holes actualy lined up to the 260z hub. anyway after machining

it all went together well..

COST

bearings cost $100, machining $250, new cv shafts (shorter ones $140 for a pair) ones maxima other pathfinder but its same as turbo one from r31 just shorter

all up $700 but i got more than just a brake upgrade. as for front stuff i just got it swaped for my r32 stuff that came with front cut. only custom springs were extra $150 for a pair.

but the front end is lot lighter than before cause mazda uses alloy hubs.

as for brake bias i just replaced the whole master cylinder with r32 item as brakes are identical to the original r32 shouldnt have a problem. but time will tell when it gets tested.

got pics off all this gear will post it tonight.. prob wont suit yoour bolt up jobs but if planing future mods prob its good to think about it now than doing the job twice.

#45 sco_aus

sco_aus

The 2000+ club

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 2,484 posts

Posted 14 June 2006 - 10:26 AM

Sounds pretty awsome. Unfortunately I haven't got anywhere near enough time to do conversions and im sure i will be happy with what i have for a number of years. Plus this is only my occassional f\throw around car, next year there will be an Evo 8 to get ready for racing, but then again I wont be stuck in the army then either. Can't wait :twisted: :twisted:

#46 Toecutter

Toecutter

The 2000+ club

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 2,274 posts

Posted 28 June 2006 - 07:04 PM

Just to touch on the 4x4 Hilux calipers again. I just found out the wieght difference between the stock front calipers and the 4x4 Hilux calipers is 2 pounds or 900 grams!
900 grams does'nt justify not having them considering how low cost and straight forward the conversion is!?

Sulio

#47 sco_aus

sco_aus

The 2000+ club

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 2,484 posts

Posted 28 June 2006 - 09:50 PM

Don't forget to upgrade your master cylinder with it though, when I first did it it was sloppy as and I was almost on the floor to get full brakes, but everyone I have talked to about it reckons the 280Zx master cylinder fixes it. I will have it in by end of next week, let you know how it goes.

#48 Toecutter

Toecutter

The 2000+ club

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 2,274 posts

Posted 29 June 2006 - 10:15 AM

Is the 280zx master cylinder a straight bolt in? I've heard you have to find the earlier model, from memory it has 2 round oil chambers as apposed to the square ones????

#49 PZG302

PZG302

The 1000+ club

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 1,761 posts

Posted 29 June 2006 - 12:59 PM

The 280 master cylinder should be straight bolt in, the only difference really being the diameter at 15/16 instaed of 3/8, from a sketchy memory.

The master cylinder to be careful of is the 1 inch 300ZX as one one type the pipe connections are on the side of the cylinder, not the bottom and the mounting holes are horizontal, not vertical. I got caught upgrading my 15/16 master cylinder to the 1 inch master cylinder. no big drama, as I was able to drill two new holes in the fire wall and support plate, I don't run a vacuum booster, and get new lines made up to suit the side mounts.

#50 Bruce

Bruce

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 301 posts

Posted 29 June 2006 - 07:49 PM

Just as a side note, I just got a new master cylinder from bgt brakes in Hawthorn for $80. (Quite reasonable I thought)
cheers
Bruce

#51 Azon

Azon

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 145 posts

Posted 29 June 2006 - 10:00 PM

^ is that for a 280zx one?

#52 sco_aus

sco_aus

The 2000+ club

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 2,484 posts

Posted 06 July 2006 - 12:57 PM

Just spotted these on ebay, not a bad price either. I'm 95% sure these are the Hilux direct bolt on brakes.
http://cgi.ebay.com....1QQcmdZViewItem

Scott

#53 sco_aus

sco_aus

The 2000+ club

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 2,484 posts

Posted 06 July 2006 - 01:00 PM

Just spotted these on ebay, not a bad price either. I'm 99% sure these are the Hilux direct bolt on brakes.

Scott

Attached Thumbnails

• 457_.jpg

#54 sco_aus

sco_aus

The 2000+ club

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 2,484 posts

Posted 06 July 2006 - 01:02 PM

Just spotted these on ebay, not a bad price either. I'm 99% sure these are the Hilux direct bolt on brakes.

Scott

Attached Thumbnails

• 458_.jpg

#55 Toecutter

Toecutter

The 2000+ club

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 2,274 posts

Posted 06 July 2006 - 06:18 PM

hmmm...Info I've read in the past re the "wider" calipers for sale above as quoted from a thread on HybridZ.

You can also use a version of the S12+8 calipers for the vented rotor conversion.

Let me explain. There are two different Toyota 4x4 calipers with the casting mark "S12+8". One for a solid rotor and one for a vented (wider) rotor. The 1979-85 4x4 calipers are for use with a solid rotor but the 1986-88 4x4 calipers are also marked "S12+8" but they are designed to fit the wider, vented rotor.

If you examine and compare the two different S12+8 calipers you will see that they are the same casting, (actually they are a pair of castings, one for each side of the caliper) except one is machined more that the other to be used on the solid (thinner) rotor.

There are advantages of using the S12+8 caliper (for the vented rotor) over the S12W caliper: It is lighter in weight; The S12+8 caliper body is not as wide as the S12W caliper, so clearance to the wheel is increased; The S12+8 caliper has two 43.0mm diameter pistons and two 33.8mm diameter pistons whereas the S12W has four 43.0mm diameter pistons. This increase in piston area requires a larger (1") diameter master cylinder when using the S12W calipers.

The belief that only the calipers with a ?W? will fit a vented rotor is a myth.

If you want to use the S12W calipers then some additional application information is the 1989-1995 Toyota 4 Wheel Drive Pickup Truck.

Posted Image
Posted Image

Hmmm...I wonder which are being sold on e-bay, S12W which according to the above are the heaviest and offer least wheel clearance or a version of the S12+8 calipers?

Sulio

#56 Toecutter

Toecutter

The 2000+ club

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 2,274 posts

Posted 15 July 2006 - 07:15 PM

I found out it was the S12+8 and I believe they ended up selling for $177.50
Not bad as from he research I've done they usually go for around $150 a pair from the wreckers.
I'm gonna get a set at over the next couple of weeks. Still thinking about that rear upgrade though!

#57 240ZR

240ZR

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 198 posts

Posted 15 July 2006 - 08:01 PM

Sulio, u goin vented or staying with a solid disc up front?
If ur gion solid, I have a pair of Hilux 4 spoters for $150.

Nick.

#58 Toecutter

Toecutter

The 2000+ club

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 2,274 posts

Posted 15 July 2006 - 08:09 PM

Hi Nick,

I've decided to stay with the solids as I've bought new cross drilled rotors. Thanks for the offer on the calipers I'm sure there would be a few guys here very intereseted at that price however I've already asked my brother to pick me up a set from a 4x4 wrecker next door to the parts place he works for. He's gettin them for mates rates so I would'nt expect anybody to match the price I'm paying for them.

Thanks again!
Sulio

#59 zedevan

zedevan

The 1000+ club

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 1,347 posts

Posted 16 July 2006 - 08:16 PM

which vented rotors would you use? like where from (what are they off? the 4X4? toyotas of those years?)? how much? do these fit under the stock 260z rims? are they just simply a bolt on conversion or is there more to it?

which master cylinder would be best to use? the early 280zx ones?

would new brake lines be needed?

#60 zedevan

zedevan

The 1000+ club

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 1,347 posts

Posted 17 July 2006 - 12:23 AM

sorry, all these questions could be answered in the hybridz thread...guess i was just being lazy and i want/need this car on the road :D i think i might buy some 16" superlites, but it feels like a waste when its not what i really really want, but then what i really really want won't pass RWC, would these brake upgrades? (when they look up their table of what width the rotors are ment to be and they see its vented instead of solid?) it doesn't appear to be obviously not standard, but say i went for the vented rotors, would it be best to get the spacers machined locally? mayb going for the solid rotors would be easiest for now as it doesn't require a spacer and less obvious again? or should i just keep the brakes stock? i have to replace all this stuff for the rwc and my thought is i may as well upgrade at the same time...

"15/16 master cylinder from a '79 280zx (it will have 15/16 stamped on it) and SS brake lines. Also get some ready make hard brake lines in 3/16mm pitch at 6" long" what are SS brake lines? for my road worthy i have to replace the flexible brake lines, so i'm assuming SS brake lines as special ones of these? (just googled it, so its braided stainless steel? do i remove my existing ones to be used for the measurement or?) i'm thinking i'll just go for solid rotors for now, and if i ever do an engine conversion i'll use the brakes from whatever halfcut its out of. did you get a price on the just sloted rotors from DBA sulio?

and nick i may be interested in the hilux calipers if they are those s12+8 ones? are they painted red so they work better? hehe

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users