92 replies to this topic

#21 lambs

lambs

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 131 posts

Posted 13 April 2006 - 10:45 AM

How'd you go about fitting the BMW calipers? And where'd you collect them for $60? It seems to be an interesting alternative.

Sorry, I missed this. The BMW calipers bolt straight to Z caliper mounts, but require a small amount of shimming to get the offset correct for the discs. Because they use the Eurpoean dual independant brake cct they also either have to be drilled internally to 'join' the piston cylinders or an adaptor is used to connect both inlet ports to the single Z brake line. I went with the drilling option.

$60 was from a BMW wrecker.

#22 lambs

lambs

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 131 posts

Posted 13 April 2006 - 10:47 AM

Rear Disk Conversion Kit Group Buy.

Looks more or less identical to the R31 type.

#23 zedevan

zedevan

The 1000+ club

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 1,347 posts

Posted 13 April 2006 - 12:11 PM

my gf flat spotted both her rear brakes in an accident (still managed to stop in time surprisingly...but person behind went into the back of her) so i put my spare on her 87 cressida which has the same stud pattern and offset, so i was wondering if anyones ever done a rear disc conversion from one of them...

what diameter rims do you need to clear those ones you're buying sulio?

#24 Toecutter

Toecutter

The 2000+ club

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 2,274 posts

Posted 13 April 2006 - 05:07 PM

Evan, not sure you might want to ask Lambs but I've been thinking about going down the R31 rear end set up it's just that I've been getting differing advice.

Lambs. I've checked out a few R31's and it looked like a bit of a pain to get the brackets off. Once the calipers and discs are pulled off how hard or rather what else is involved to get the brackets off?

Thanks
Sulio

#25 Zeddophile

Zeddophile

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 987 posts

Posted 13 April 2006 - 05:32 PM

my gf flat spotted both her rear brakes in an accident

This doesn't make sense to me.... do you mean to say she flat spotted her rear tyres? Cause I don't see how you can flat spot brakes....

#26 zedevan

zedevan

The 1000+ club

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 1,347 posts

Posted 13 April 2006 - 07:39 PM

yeah....my brains not working...also makes the reason y i put my spare on her car make more sense :D thanks for picking up on it

#27 sco_aus

sco_aus

The 2000+ club

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 2,484 posts
  • Tagline:Scott

Posted 13 April 2006 - 10:31 PM

I'm interested in the rear brake conversion there, but is that $500 for the 3 sets or per set?

#28 Toecutter

Toecutter

The 2000+ club

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 2,274 posts

Posted 13 April 2006 - 11:11 PM

If only it were for all 3!

No it's per set. How do you think that price fairs?

What sort of price would the R31 parts cost from a wrecker? Ie calipers, discs, brackets??? and still wondering how hard it is to get those braqckets off the R31 skyline?

#29 lambs

lambs

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 131 posts

Posted 13 April 2006 - 11:35 PM

Evan, not sure you might want to ask Lambs but I've been thinking about going down the R31 rear end set up it's just that I've been getting differing advice.

Lambs. I've checked out a few R31's and it looked like a bit of a pain to get the brackets off. Once the calipers and discs are pulled off how hard or rather what else is involved to get the brackets off?

R31 rear cals fit under 14" rims (only Silh's and Ti's had 15" rims, all the rest used 14" + all used the same brakes)

Getting the brackets off is fairly simple. Once the cals and discs are off, you'll see 4 nuts behind the axle disc flange. Those nuts secure the wheel bearing retainer (ie hold the axle in place) as well as the brake backing plate and the brackets, which simply slide over studs. Undo the nuts and pull the axle out of the diff housing. Once the axle is out, the brake backing plate and the bracket simply slide off. Sometimes the axle can be difficult to budge, esp if it's been in place for awhile, but a bit of gentle 'persausion' usually works.

As to price, I haven't checked in a long time, but I'd guess a place like Pick-a-Part would want around $30/cal

#30 lambs

lambs

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 131 posts

Posted 13 April 2006 - 11:40 PM

I'm interested in the rear brake conversion there, but is that $500 for the 3 sets or per set?

Your probably looking at around $600 once shipping is added, even using surface parcel post (weight being the main issue).

#31 Huw

Huw

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 299 posts

Posted 14 April 2006 - 10:23 AM

My car is running skyline rears and stock front.
can't tell you how well they run cause I haven't had a chance to properly 'run it in' (not registered yet) I can tell you that they work......

I little trick with the bracket....
on mine someone had done a bad job converting the rear drums to 280 discs (and I mean a REALLY bad job (explains how many times it was crashed!))
so we had a 280 bracket lying around...all that was required was welding up the holes and redrilling them in an acceptable position.
It would look nicer with a factory one tho (although u can get them plated afterwards (which is what i did).

Anyway, just another option.
Huw

#32 Toecutter

Toecutter

The 2000+ club

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 2,274 posts

Posted 14 April 2006 - 10:45 AM

OK thanks guys I'll have another go at removing the R31 calipers and brackets, oh and the rear disc from the R31 is that also a direct bolt on to the S30 rear?

#33 lambs

lambs

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 131 posts

Posted 14 April 2006 - 02:01 PM

oh and the rear disc from the R31 is that also a direct bolt on to the S30 rear?

Yes, PCD and centre hole are the same plus the offset is correct to line up with the caliper once the bracket is bolted in place. The centre hole of the bracket needs to be bored to match the OD of the hole in the original brake backing plate. New holes have to be drilled in the bracket to match the original bolt pattern and some grinding of the strut is required to get the bracket to sit flat against the backing plate flange.

#34 Toecutter

Toecutter

The 2000+ club

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 2,274 posts

Posted 14 April 2006 - 04:15 PM

Thanks lambs,

Does this thread below look familiar!??? :)

http://www.performan...t-67123179.html

#35 warrenz

warrenz

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 355 posts

Posted 21 April 2006 - 06:18 PM

Hi

Maybe this ad on OzDat is of interest

240/260z Rear Disc Conversion I have for sale a rear disc conversion for the above,no mods reqd to fit.Has internal handbrake setup
Car Identification: 240/260z
Price: $600.00 Location: wollongong NSW

Warren

#36 Natez

Natez

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 303 posts

Posted 22 April 2006 - 01:38 AM

http://cgi.ebay.com....1QQcmdZViewItem or this.... finishing soon

#37 warrenz

warrenz

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 355 posts

Posted 22 April 2006 - 02:48 PM

The winning bid on eBay was $480.

Cheers

Warren

#38 sco_aus

sco_aus

The 2000+ club

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 2,484 posts

Posted 03 June 2006 - 06:35 PM

Hey guys, has anything gone further with the rear disk conversion? Still really keen, wanna try and get the car ready for the Dutton rally soon, would be great to be able to stop even better. I'm currently watching the NSW one up around Canberra and Sydney (friend racing in AE86), giving the Evos and Rexs a flogging on the hillclimbs and some on the motorkanas. Anyone else entering?

#39 sco_aus

sco_aus

The 2000+ club

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 2,484 posts

Posted 07 June 2006 - 07:07 AM

Hey, just found these Hilux calipers on toymods, if anyone is interested.
http://www.toymods.n...read.php?t=6276
Could probly do with a rebuild i guess.

#40 240ZR

240ZR

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 199 posts

Posted 07 June 2006 - 09:20 AM

I just finished my brake conversion on my 260Z... 266mm vented fronts with 4spot Landcruiser's & 280mm solid rear with sigma single piston caillipers. I'm still using the 7/8 M/C bit will be changed to 15/16 to give me a slightly firmer pedal. This set up works quite well with the fronts locking up before the rears under heavy braking.

Let me know what you guys think... I'm also working on the "Maxima bracket" set up but with a 290mm solid disc.

Nick.

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users