Brakes upgrades ideas on a 260Z

• Replies 92
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

hmmm...Info I've read in the past re the "wider" calipers for sale above as quoted from a thread on HybridZ.

You can also use a version of the S12+8 calipers for the vented rotor conversion.

Let me explain. There are two different Toyota 4x4 calipers with the casting mark "S12+8". One for a solid rotor and one for a vented (wider) rotor. The 1979-85 4x4 calipers are for use with a solid rotor but the 1986-88 4x4 calipers are also marked "S12+8" but they are designed to fit the wider, vented rotor.

If you examine and compare the two different S12+8 calipers you will see that they are the same casting, (actually they are a pair of castings, one for each side of the caliper) except one is machined more that the other to be used on the solid (thinner) rotor.

There are advantages of using the S12+8 caliper (for the vented rotor) over the S12W caliper: It is lighter in weight; The S12+8 caliper body is not as wide as the S12W caliper, so clearance to the wheel is increased; The S12+8 caliper has two 43.0mm diameter pistons and two 33.8mm diameter pistons whereas the S12W has four 43.0mm diameter pistons. This increase in piston area requires a larger (1") diameter master cylinder when using the S12W calipers.

The belief that only the calipers with a ?W? will fit a vented rotor is a myth.

If you want to use the S12W calipers then some additional application information is the 1989-1995 Toyota 4 Wheel Drive Pickup Truck.

S12solid.jpg

S12vented.jpg

Hmmm...I wonder which are being sold on e-bay, S12W which according to the above are the heaviest and offer least wheel clearance or a version of the S12+8 calipers?

Sulio

• 2 weeks later...

I found out it was the S12+8 and I believe they ended up selling for $177.50

Not bad as from he research I've done they usually go for around $150 a pair from the wreckers.

I'm gonna get a set at over the next couple of weeks. Still thinking about that rear upgrade though!

Hi Nick,

I've decided to stay with the solids as I've bought new cross drilled rotors. Thanks for the offer on the calipers I'm sure there would be a few guys here very intereseted at that price however I've already asked my brother to pick me up a set from a 4x4 wrecker next door to the parts place he works for. He's gettin them for mates rates so I would'nt expect anybody to match the price I'm paying for them.

Thanks again!

Sulio

which vented rotors would you use? like where from (what are they off? the 4X4? toyotas of those years?)? how much? do these fit under the stock 260z rims? are they just simply a bolt on conversion or is there more to it?

which master cylinder would be best to use? the early 280zx ones?

would new brake lines be needed?

sorry, all these questions could be answered in the hybridz thread...guess i was just being lazy and i want/need this car on the road :D i think i might buy some 16" superlites, but it feels like a waste when its not what i really really want, but then what i really really want won't pass RWC, would these brake upgrades? (when they look up their table of what width the rotors are ment to be and they see its vented instead of solid?) it doesn't appear to be obviously not standard, but say i went for the vented rotors, would it be best to get the spacers machined locally? mayb going for the solid rotors would be easiest for now as it doesn't require a spacer and less obvious again? or should i just keep the brakes stock? i have to replace all this stuff for the rwc and my thought is i may as well upgrade at the same time...

"15/16 master cylinder from a '79 280zx (it will have 15/16 stamped on it) and SS brake lines. Also get some ready make hard brake lines in 3/16mm pitch at 6" long" what are SS brake lines? for my road worthy i have to replace the flexible brake lines, so i'm assuming SS brake lines as special ones of these? (just googled it, so its braided stainless steel? do i remove my existing ones to be used for the measurement or?) i'm thinking i'll just go for solid rotors for now, and if i ever do an engine conversion i'll use the brakes from whatever halfcut its out of. did you get a price on the just sloted rotors from DBA sulio?

and nick i may be interested in the hilux calipers if they are those s12+8 ones? are they painted red so they work better? hehe

Try some one like ABS and ask for a Z31 non turbo master cylinder or a S30 280ZX. Here is the PBR details, unfortunately no longer available, but you have a number to work with.

300ZX (z31)

ACTUATION Brake M/Cyl - Suit: 05/1984 - 02/1987 23.81 mm COUPE DISC/DISC NON TURBO TURBO Z31 MODEL JB1618#(NLA)

S130 280ZX

ACTUATION Brake M/Cyl - Suit: 03/1979 - 08/1981 23.81 mm COUPE DISC/DISC 6 CYL 2.8 LITRE JB1361#(NLA)

ACTUATION Brake M/Cyl - Suit: 09/1981 - 05/1984 23.81 mm COUPE DISC/DISC 6 CYL 2.8 LITRE JB1362#(NLA)

Or get any other 23.81mm M/C that will fit your mounts as that is 15/16.

Evan, DBA do make just slotted discs. From memory I think they were about $135 each.

I would'nt expect anybody to pull you up on having vented rotors or different calipers. If only we were lucky enough to have that many mechanics out there with such a comprehensive knowledge of what all the stock bits on an S30 are!? Especially considering it woould'nt be a fabricated part like a dodgy looking caliper bracket. Anyway thats my thoughts I could be wrong.

Sulio

thanks sulio, i was thinking that mayb they had a database they looked up which told them the minimum rotor thickness for each car etc, but taking off the old ones i see its just written on them

i ended up just buying stock rotors as they were around $60 each, couldn't justify the extra price for having some slots which you can't even see through my current rims! after the rwc i think i'll look into getting the spacer to use the vented rotors though

thanks for the info PZG302, haven't had any luck with those number though yet :(

Hey zedevan,

I have a complete bolt on kit for the front if your interested, $650.

The pic below is a kit I fitted to a friends car a few years back.

I also have these on the front of my car with the Sigma disc set up on the rear, & I'm ready to bolt up the Patrol 1" M/C too.

Nick, Ph 0416 283 194.

magna4spotspd2.jpg

I caught up with Louey and we've both sourced the R31 rear end which I'm hoping to mount this coming week. I took some pics of the car next to the one I got my set off. As you can see once the axles are out the bracket simply comes off. I'll post a progressive series of pics when I mount them to the back of the Z. No pics of the rotors here but I'm also planning to use the R31 rotor.

post-4-144023471508_thumb.jpg

post-4-144023471512_thumb.jpg

post-4-144023471515_thumb.jpg

how much did the place you got them from want for the brackets? is it just a normal r31 or is there something specific you have to look out for (besides the bracket :D)? when i have time next i might go down to pick pay and go in ringwood and pull them off one of the many r31's they have sitting there! i'm guessing you're going to use the r31 calipers too?

in regard to front brakes i'm going to use the rotors and pad's i just bought atleast for a bit! i need to get my car on the road so getting to uni doesn't take over an hour! starting tomorrow, so depressing :cry:

• 4 weeks later...
  • 3 weeks later...
  • 6 months later...

Hi guys,

I've just been reading through this thread because I need to upgrade my rear brakes. On the front I'm running S4/5 RX7 callipers with Honda Legend ventilated and slotted rotors which are just doing the job for now.

On the back I'm running R31 discs and callipers which are simply not up to the job at Symmons Plains where there are two big straights into tight corners. The car is cooking pads and chewing through them like nothing else and you can see where the disc has been getting too hot aswell. And I've been running the bias with too much on the front to look after them! The other problem I have is getting pads for the rear callipers. In the front I run EBC Yellows which seem to work well. But in the back I can't get them so I've been running EBC Reds which can't take the tempratue.

So does anybody have any ideas for larger rear brakes without going to a 5 stud conversion? I don't have the handbrake connected anyway so that isn't a concern.