Brakes upgrades ideas on a 260Z

Hi guys,

whats the best way to upgrades the brakes on a 260Z??

i have a certain power that i am aiming for and i know the stockers wont cut it.

Will any 4 pot brakes from a GTR or late model Nissan fit?? as i am definetly after 4 pots for the front....but anyone make any suggestions for the rear??

Thnx again in advance!

• Replies 92
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

gavin knows the exact specs,.

but 300zx tt alloy calipers, and and R33 NA rotors will do the trick i think, or custom rotors might be a better go, but Z32 tt calipers are the bomb... cept for GTR brembos, and it still says nissan on the side.. haha

• 4 weeks later...

I've had a breif discussion with Gav about changing to rear discs. I believe the old Skyline R30 rear end is almost a direct bolt on to the 240/260 rear end. Has anybody got any pics or links to the parts needed? Apart from the caliper and disc I believe there is an "adapting plate" of some sort needed!? and I believe this is all that is needed!?

Using the 300zx front brakes, can they be fitted to maintain 4 stud pattern? What parts needed! I believe they come in alloy as well as heavy steel sets!? If this is so which 300's had the alloy brakes?

Just started searching for info on this one so it's all a big mystery. any input one be appreciated seeing I could most likely get these bits through a friend and stick em in the shed til after the L28 is done if I ever pick one up!??? :?

Cheers

Sulio

• 4 weeks later...

Rear disc upgrade.

My info to date.

From my understanding new 280zx discs with s13 rear calipers is a popular and reliable direct bolt on set up for the 240/260. I think I could source a new pair of discs for about $40.00 ea and find 2nd hand S13 calipers for about $90ea. This leaves the last part which is the mysterious early US maxima bracket or in Australia we could use the R30 skyline bracket.

I have found the NISSAN part number for this bracket, (P/N: 44155-04S10). This bracket is on all r30 skylines up to aug 81 according to my source... hmmm however, all the R30 skylines I've looked at had them welded on!??? I did'nt check year so coincidently they must have been later models.

Nissan priced me AUD$120ea inc GST for the R30 bracket. I'm guessing we could get them cheaper at a trade price. Can anybody here buy these brackets for less than $240 a pair???? or perhaps a more appropriate question; would anybody here sell them for less than $240 a pair!

Cheers

Sulio

post-4-144023468816_thumb.jpg

Guessing that 'trade price' comment was directed at me.... I'll see what I can hunt down....

By the way, if you didn't find out - the deal with 300zx discs for the front is to use Z31 front rotors. Doesn't matter how many wheel studs, because the rotor bolts to the BACK of the hub, not the front.

sorry, the price i got was $109, and i don't know if that was with or without GST.....

Yer that was the price I was quoted, $109 + $10.90 GST.

Oh well, I suppose I might as well order them. Anybody else here interested??? I'll probably order a pair on Friday from the Springvale rd Nissan.

Sulio

• 2 weeks later...
  • 5 weeks later...
Anyone in Australia interested in doing the rear disk conversion, the r30/31 skyline wagon diff is the one to get your hands on. Caliper brackets are bolt on, rotor works, calipers work, and most importantly, your handbrake works. Happy hunting guys.

Taken from HybridZ.

hmmm...gotta start looking at some wagons!

I don't quite understand the need to go to such expensive brackets as the R30 type. Just get R31 rear calipers, discs and the mounting brackets as they are reasonably common and cheap. I run these on my 260Z and it's a relatively simple conversion, although you need access to some machining equipment - but none of these conversions are 'bolt on'.

For those in Vic I can put you onto someone that is very much an expert in conversions of this type. He's done radial mount caliper conversions for Z's, plus Z32/R32, etc.

• 3 weeks later...

For fast road and the track days keep with the 2pot caliper change the discs to cross drilled and grooved use competition pads and shoes and high temp brake fluid.

Some of the solutions suggested would be exsessive for a race car let alone a roadcar

Nick

For fast road and the track days keep with the 2pot caliper change the discs to cross drilled and grooved use competition pads and shoes and high temp brake fluid.

Some of the solutions suggested would be exsessive for a race car let alone a roadcar

In some ways I tend to agree, but with many people now running turbo's I'd also say it's better to be 'overbraked', for want of a better description. The standard 240Z/260Z solid front rotor is definately a limitation. That said I used to know a guy that ran a 240Z in Group Sc, which required pretty much 'stock' brake configuration. With the right pads and brake shoes, etc, he was still pretty quick.

Personally I run:

Front - BMW 4 spot 6 series calipers (cost = $60) with Ford XW brake discs (also cheap). These fit under 14" rims and tyres are CHEAP. The cals are heavy, but solid although a bugger to bleed.

Rear - R31 Skyline calipers and discs (they were free and re-build kit for cals is only $40 - genuine Nissan). Discs are solid, but more than adequate. I did this conversion, well, because I could.

If fitted all the above myself, but a brake bias adjuster is also essential (maybe $150).

Notwithstanding all the above I can see why some go for 'big' brakes.....stock brakes don't look the part under big rims.....

• 2 months later...

Rear Disk Conversion Kit Group Buy.

I found a full rear disc brake conversion from the US on e-bay. This comes with the lot including calipers, new mounting bracket, rotors, e-brake bracket and lines. The supplier can currently supply 3 sets. I will be buying a set for myself as I believe will Gav so there is one more left over for anybody interested. The cost will be US$389.00+shipping, (about AUS$500+shipping). We will ship together to cut down on cost. I have been doing the research on the upgrade and this is a pretty good price. Anyhow a link to the add so speak up if you also want a set. He can supply more than 3 however his "shelf stock" is at three sets and for anymore there would be an unspecified lead time.

Cheers

Sulio

http://cgi.ebay.com/ebaymotors/ws/eBayISAPI.dll?ViewItem&item=8054416372&sspagename=ADME%3AB%3AWNA%3AMT%3A12

How'd you go about fitting the BMW calipers? And where'd you collect them for $60? It seems to be an interesting alternative.

Sorry, I missed this. The BMW calipers bolt straight to Z caliper mounts, but require a small amount of shimming to get the offset correct for the discs. Because they use the Eurpoean dual independant brake cct they also either have to be drilled internally to 'join' the piston cylinders or an adaptor is used to connect both inlet ports to the single Z brake line. I went with the drilling option.

$60 was from a BMW wrecker.

my gf flat spotted both her rear brakes in an accident (still managed to stop in time surprisingly...but person behind went into the back of her) so i put my spare on her 87 cressida which has the same stud pattern and offset, so i was wondering if anyones ever done a rear disc conversion from one of them...

what diameter rims do you need to clear those ones you're buying sulio?

Evan, not sure you might want to ask Lambs but I've been thinking about going down the R31 rear end set up it's just that I've been getting differing advice.

Lambs. I've checked out a few R31's and it looked like a bit of a pain to get the brackets off. Once the calipers and discs are pulled off how hard or rather what else is involved to get the brackets off?

Thanks

Sulio