#1 G

G

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 266 posts

Posted 18 February 2015 - 04:12 PM

Hi guys

I'm currently trying to get my diff back into the 240 after performing a few mods and rebushing the whole back end.

To date, I've swapped the diff for an R180 WRX unit (with Betamotorsport outputs) and I'm also using the Technoversions diff "snubber" (the conical version).

The problem is, I can't get the front diff mount to line up properly with the underbody threaded holes.
It's out by 5mm-10mm.

I've tried taking the technoversions diff mount out in case the downward pressure is pushing it out of alignment and it hasn't helped.

Is the diff held in under tension between the front and rear mounts and hence, just requires me to wrestle it into place, or does it appear something is amiss?

Before you ask, I have checked the bottom diff mount and it's the correct way around.  Any thoughts?

#2 Gareth. J.

Gareth. J.

The 2000+ club

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 3,237 posts

Posted 18 February 2015 - 07:19 PM

I'm guessing you've attached the front diff mount/insulator to the diff and the diff cross member already. Is it the four bolt holes for that cross member that also keep the control arm bushes captive which won't line up?

Try loosening the bolts which attach the insulator to the diff, the cross member and also the moustache bar to the under floor bolts. It should give you a little more wiggle room to get things started. I have this problem too sometimes, I get all four well started by hand before trying to nip anything up.

#3 gilltech

gilltech

The 1000+ club

• Donating Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 1,081 posts

Posted 18 February 2015 - 08:36 PM

Well is your replacement R180 actually the same length as the original? Was your original an R180 or R200?
Ditto Gareth J - I also get the front mount bolts started & keep everything else well loose then gradually tighten them all in sequences.
You may well need some spacers on the rear diff studs.

#4 G

G

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 266 posts

Posted 01 March 2015 - 03:39 PM

A big thanks guys.

I slackened off the diff insulator and that gave me JUST enough wiggle room to get it all lined up properly.

From there, it was all like big boys Meccano. She should be rolling again shortly!  8)

#5 dat2kman

dat2kman

The 2000+ club

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 4,033 posts
  • Tagline:going sailing, see ya later!

Posted 01 March 2015 - 03:52 PM

You didn't have the rear of diff to moustache bar nuts done up nice and tight, did you?
You tighten these last.

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users